Recall - rear seat belt

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Recall - rear seat belt

Post by monkeyhanger »

wizzywig27 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:45 pm
Problem being dealer values car at £12500, I owe £17000 on finance, dealer wants the difference back (and rightly so).
That should be between the dealer and VWUK/VWFS to sort out. Either the dealer knowingly sold the car as not fit for purpose (if they knew about the seatbelt issue and said nowt), or VWUK sold it to the dealers before the dealers were aware.

I still don't know if mine is affected or not (BW23), but assuming they are all requiring the full fix, we've all had a car that effectively isn't as specified, and is potentially unsafe if used as a 5 seater.
wizzywig27
Getting There!
Drives: GTI

Post by wizzywig27 »

But to then add further confusion, I was in negative in my old car which the dealer wrapped up in my new finance package, by playing with the numbers. I can’t see anyone funding almost 5k.

They offered me a golf for £90 more a month
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

I asked my dealer about this weeks ago and he said if there was a safety recall it would be from VW and not them. I have heard nothing.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

wizzywig27 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:03 pm But to then add further confusion, I was in negative in my old car which the dealer wrapped up in my new finance package, by playing with the numbers. I can’t see anyone funding almost 5k.

They offered me a golf for £90 more a month
Without knowing what the RRP of your car was, what your financed amount was and how much negative equity you had in the last one was, I wouldn't know how they played the numbers, but I suspect that the £5k gap is not only about what was paid, but what say 85% of sticker price is for a pre-reg almost new car - which is what they'd offer you in a typical p/x to still make a reasonable profit e.g.

You buy a car with a £18k RRP, it comes with a deposit contribution of £1000 and the dealership is prepared to discount by £2k, so you'd be financing £15k, but you've got £2k negative equity in the old one. The dealership offsets your £2k negative equity against the £2k discount. So you are financed for £17k on an £18k car.

The dealership knows that if you hand it back, they've got a car they'd be lucky to get £15k for, so to them it is worth £12500 to get them a reasonable margin.

You reject the car and get your money back (or in this csse have your finance settled). The dealership being out of pocket is not is not your concern, that's a battle for them. If you bought a Sony TV from Currys and it blew up, you'd want your money back from Currys, not go chasing Sony for it.

If your old negative equity no longer exists as negative equity because it has substituted discount on the new car then you should be quids in as you walk away not owing or being owed anything (perhaps you'll get your payments back made so far).

David Stark is the resident rejection process expert here - i'm sure he'll be able to give you more comprehensive advice when he's next in the forum.
wizzywig27
Getting There!

Post by wizzywig27 »

From what I remember correctly my old car was valued at 15.5k, my finance settlement was 17.5k, in my mind the deposit contribution and £750 deposit would cover this negative equity, although I am sure that on my credit agreement there was a figure of 20k - this also seems to tie in with my credit fil (from memory).

He did explain it to me, and what he did, but it was six months ago now.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

wizzywig27 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:21 pm From what I remember correctly my old car was valued at 15.5k, my finance settlement was 17.5k, in my mind the deposit contribution and £750 deposit would cover this negative equity, although I am sure that on my credit agreement there was a figure of 20k - this also seems to tie in with my credit fil (from memory).

He did explain it to me, and what he did, but it was six months ago now.
£20k likely to be capital loan amount (inc balloon payment) + interest for total repayable.
wizzywig27
Getting There!

Post by wizzywig27 »

Spoke to VW this morning who have confirmed that negative will be written off which effectively sees me as a new customer. Now I am just waiting for the retailer to contact me to discuss the next steps
wizzywig27
Getting There!

Post by wizzywig27 »

Another update:

Retailer contacted me and told me he couldn’t provide any figures until paperwork had been completed by VWUK. I explained that as VWUK were offsetting the negative equity I would be classed as a new customer and as such I would just like figures for a few (listed) golf models based on being a new customer and £750 deposit.

He came back said he could only get me one car and would take 4 weeks - it was a basic golf. At this point I rang VWUK to see if I could then hand the car back and walk away, he said no, I could only deal with that dealership??! He wasn’t in the team I spoke to previously but refused to pass me through to them as he didn’t want to wait in the queue. When I asked to speak to his manager he said, and I quote “yeah that isn’t gonna happen”

I was then a bit cheeky and put through a carwow request, and guess what, the same dealership made me an offer (considering they said he couldn’t get any), then when I replied I asked if it was in stock, the retail manager replied and said he’s already told me what cars he has in stock and I can’t use carwow anyway because the rejection is being dealt with by the dealership and customer service. Personally I think he is being awkward because I’ve give him a bit of work to do.

Anyway, I spoke to another dealership who told me that I can’t really buy another car until my rejection is complete. So I’m a bit stumped.

Oh, I also asked VW finance about credit checks etc, they said I would be required to have another credit check, when I suggested it should be removed she said no, I said ok, remove the one from the Polo then, she refused. She also said I may be rejected for finance - what happens then?
kmm249
Getting There!
Drives: 2018

Post by kmm249 »

I’m going through the similar thing with my polo but I do now finally have the dealership on side, it’s just VW playing up.

I feel your pain, I already pass finance on my next car but can’t proceed as I’m still tied up with my old finance.

Good luck!
wizzywig27
Getting There!

Post by wizzywig27 »

kmm249 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:19 pm I’m going through the similar thing with my polo but I do now finally have the dealership on side, it’s just VW playing up.

I feel your pain, I already pass finance on my next car but can’t proceed as I’m still tied up with my old finance.

Good luck!
What car did you change to? Did they process the credit check in advance? How long have you been waiting?
kmm249
Getting There!
Drives: 2018

Post by kmm249 »

A ex demo Seat Arona finance through VWFS, all passed the day after I test drove the car whilst the rejection was going through, i also phone VW and VWFS to tell them a rejection was coming. it was £9.00 extra a month for high spec Arona. I never had any problems with my Ibiza so I was going back to what I know but to be honest now VW are messing me around I’m probably going to walk away from that. The Seat dealer wanted to close the deal by end of month but VW seem to want to drag it out. I’m currently in still in my courtesy car for last 2 weeks. I’m only putting small amounts of fuel in as I don’t know when it’s going to go back. We been threaten with losing a few times so it’s a bit of unknown timeline, it’s been a very stressful experience that doesn’t look to get easier any time soon.

On my post about my car - Problem car David Stark gave some good advice which might be helpful to you maybe?

Good Luck, VW service hasnt been that good for me which I’m quite surprised at......
wizzywig27
Getting There!

Post by wizzywig27 »

Another update:

Spoke to VWUK this morning and was told that for an exchange I had to deal directly with Parkway, however if I wanted to return and walk away I would need to go through the rejection process - well I thought this was what I was doing?! No one seems to be playing ball at the moment, it is actually causing me so much stress! I am going to drop of my formal letter rejecting the vehicle this afternoon.

I have a feeling they may try and delay it until the fix is imminent and then refuse it based on that.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:01 pm
wizzywig27 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:45 pm
Problem being dealer values car at £12500, I owe £17000 on finance, dealer wants the difference back (and rightly so).
That should be between the dealer and VWUK/VWFS to sort out. Either the dealer knowingly sold the car as not fit for purpose (if they knew about the seatbelt issue and said nowt), or VWUK sold it to the dealers before the dealers were aware.

I still don't know if mine is affected or not (BW23), but assuming they are all requiring the full fix, we've all had a car that effectively isn't as specified, and is potentially unsafe if used as a 5 seater.
Mine is BW21 and I haven't heard anything. I noticed that the height of the two centre rear seatbelt catches is offset which makes me wonder if there has been a factory change, as my understanding is that the potential issue occurs when the seatbelt catch housings are presented at the same height. The fact that I haven't heard anything from VW may also suggest that later build week cars are unaffected?
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

roywolfey wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:02 am Mine is BW21 and I haven't heard anything. I noticed that the height of the two centre rear seatbelt catches is offset which makes me wonder if there has been a factory change, as my understanding is that the potential issue occurs when the seatbelt catch housings are presented at the same height. The fact that I haven't heard anything from VW may also suggest that later build week cars are unaffected?
i think the problem occurs when the centre belt buckle and the adjacent buckle are at different heights, and the higher bucket can press down on the lower (centre) one and release the centre belt. You can see it in the third picture in the Auto Express article at the link below;

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/ ... belt-fault

So if your belt buckles are like this, then it suggests your car is affected. The Auto Express article mentions the permanent fix is not due to be rolled out until November.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

Ahhh, ok. I got my facts wrong. It’s a while since I read the articles on this.

The two catches are presented different heights but on my car not enough to allow for one to go above the other one.
Attachments
CEB1E92A-6699-4A78-A667-68DCEED397B9.jpeg
Last edited by roywolfey on Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.