Dust covers on rear suspension

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
marshall2810
New
Drives: 2002 Polo E 1.2

Dust covers on rear suspension

Post by marshall2810 »

On the polos mot had a couple of bushes that need replacing but nothing major. Had the rear dust covers mentioned as an advisory my mot man said it's very common on most VWs. The foam bit at the top has discintigrated and the plastic sheath has dropped causing a clattering noise more or less continuously as your driving very annoying! Am I able to just cut them off or do i need to have them replaced properly. I imagine if they are missing it's a fail on mot maybe?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Dust covers on rear suspension

Post by RUM4MO »

The bump stops, which I think that the foam bits at the top are called seem to be made out of a material that might be the best there is for that job, but they do seem to biodegrade quickly, by the way they start life as being white and quite supple!

Why don't you just buy a couple of new ones from VW or ECP or GSF, and replace them, that will stop that annoying noise, allow the pipe tube to protect the piston rod on the shock absorber, and stop the MOT place from complaining?
marshall2810
New

Post by marshall2810 »

In 20 years of motoring I've luckily never had to touch a shock absorber so I'll have to see perhaps I can find a how to guide somewhere but yes if would be lovely
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

They are very easy to remove, best way is to jack the rear of the car up and place on axle stands, get under and remove the single bolt at the base of each rear shock absorber, reach in near the top of the rear shock absorbers and remove I think 2 bolts each side, it might be best to find the cap covering the top of the shock absorber mounting in the boot, possibly behind the trim, I've forgotten and don't have one of these cars now!

The rear shock absorbers will try to fully extend, but don't worry about that as you can control them, so remove the complete shock absorber including the top mounting from the car, use a small adjustable spanner to stop the piston rod rotating and remove the top nut, lift off the top mounting, might be a washer in there I think, remove the top end of the bump stop, remove the plastic protector, push the new bump stop on to the plastic protector, fit this bump stop and plastic tube combo back to the shock absorber, refit the top mounting ideally using new self locking nut and refit the shock absorber top mounting back to the car, pushing up the extended lower end up far enough to let you refit it into where it gets located, then refit the lower bolt, again ideally using a new bolt - it is best to leave the final tightening of the lower bolt until the car is back down off the axle stands as the rear axle assembly pivots and so twists the shock absorber mounting bush, so final tightening at the normal angle minimises preloading this lower mounting bush.

There is a Haynes repair manual available to assist you with procedures and torque settings for fixings.
marshall2810
New

Post by marshall2810 »

Thanks RUM i'll have a look and give it a go wheb i get chance.