GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by barrywi »

Sods law, I had a look today again at the menus and found it straight away, but thanks for the comments.
One thing I did notice was that this cold morning the dashboard warned me that it wasnt working for a short while. Other mornings I have had similar short term warnings that other functions were not working.
I suspect condensation or rain on sensor(s)
Anybody else notice this?
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

The only warning I have had is "Front Assist: No sensor view" but there was a lot of spray about that day, which can impede the sensor so I'm putting it down to that as it hasn't happened any other time. Other than that I haven't had any other warnings that functions, or systems are not working.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Same for me.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Never had tge warn8ng to say that front assist wasn't working. Had it numerous times on the Golf with its lower grille location - especially coming north- bound through the Tyne Tunnel (about half a mile of hard turn left at the end, as the tunnel spirals up) - seems the newer system on the facelift Golf and on the new Polo has rectified that.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

We have had three big red warnings come up in the windy weather in the centre instrument panel. I think it is the imminent collision alert and suspect it could have been caused by leaves falling in front of the car or even on the sensor.
I have also taken some photos of the screens available by holding down the menu button which I will post later in case anyone can make sense of them.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Just watched last nights Fifth Gear where they tested a Polo GtI plus against a Mini cooper S. Polo won mainly because the brakes were better but they did not even mention the extra space, five doors, electronic dash etc of the Polo.
Below ate listed the menus I found by pressing and holding the menu key. Anybody know what they mean?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Do you have NAV Barry? One of the software update lines on mine looks to relate to the current version of nav software which you can do update via CD, USB or SD Card.

Supported codes looks like option possibilities based on hardware already in place (I have 12 codes) and installed codes looks to be what you have activated which requires a code (I have 10 codes here). The 2 misdinv codes? One is probably voice activation that you pay the dealer to activate.

HMI versions is probably media interface version.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Yes I do have navigation but not voice, which as you say needs a car specific code to get working. I was hoping VW may give me voice in compensation for the delay in delivery on my car, but to be honest I think I may have actually been lucky compared with some still waiting.
I was searching to find any option of n engineering menus to turn off the switch headlights on warning. I am not going to try anything with menu I have shown because It looks like a "read only" menu. We need someone with "The Knowledge" to tell us if there are any on/off menus deeper in the system, and how to access them. Maybe you have to have a VW laptop?
Where do you get the nav updates from, I presume mine will be fairly up to date?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

barrywi wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:59 am Yes I do have navigation but not voice, which as you say needs a car specific code to get working. I was hoping VW may give me voice in compensation for the delay in delivery on my car, but to be honest I think I may have actually been lucky compared with some still waiting.
I was searching to find any option of n engineering menus to turn off the switch headlights on warning. I am not going to try anything with menu I have shown because It looks like a "read only" menu. We need someone with "The Knowledge" to tell us if there are any on/off menus deeper in the system, and how to access them. Maybe you have to have a VW laptop?
Where do you get the nav updates from, I presume mine will be fairly up to date?
The Nav updates are on the VW.DE website, and I've just checked. Last update was March this year, usually 2 updates a year, next one due around Nov, i'd presume mine and yours are up to date for Europe Bundle 1 from delivery.

I'm almost certain that you won't find an engineering menu to actually switch things rather than check them. You will need someone with VCDS or OBD11, and knows their way around it. There's a lad on the Golf forum that lives near me and sometimes we meet up - I installed his dashcam, he's done a few VCDS bits on the Golf R for me. I might chase him up soon for a poke around in the Polo's system.

There are all kinds of warnngs you can switch off with that software, including turning off your seatbelt warnings (a pretty important warning). Off the top of my head, i can't think of anything i'd want to change or activate with VCDS right now - mainly because i'm unaware of what is there to activate in addition to what we already know we have, for which the hardware is already in place (with the exception of voice activation).
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

barrywi wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:02 pm Just watched last nights Fifth Gear where they tested a Polo GtI plus against a Mini cooper S. Polo won mainly because the brakes were better but they did not even mention the extra space, five doors, electronic dash etc of the Polo.
Thanks for the tip. Just watching it now....

https://www.questod.co.uk/show/fifth-ge ... HD_226381B
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

roywolfey wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:11 pm
barrywi wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:02 pm Just watched last nights Fifth Gear where they tested a Polo GtI plus against a Mini cooper S. Polo won mainly because the brakes were better but they did not even mention the extra space, five doors, electronic dash etc of the Polo.
Thanks for the tip. Just watching it now....

https://www.questod.co.uk/show/fifth-ge ... HD_226381B
The Mini Cooper S was on our shortlist, but the horrendous offset of the pedals would have crippled me - all 3 manual box pedals were shoehorned into the right side of the footwell. I was only out for a 1/2 hour drive and I developed a sharp pain on my inner left knee from operating the clutch while my left foot was operating it from a position that i'd usually have my right foot in to operate the brake and accelerator.
The instrumentation was a bit Fisher Price in its appearance too. The depreciation was horrendous, making it a foolish new purchase but a good nearly new buy - 14 month old examples of the Cooper S were retailing for 55% of RRP - anyone buying one of these new even at decent discount will have been reamed in px value/negative equity on a PCP,
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

I have not looked closely but if everything is crammed into that circular centre instrument panel you would spend half your time looking at and trying to find the right buttons. At least some of the information on the Polo is right in front of the driver. Looks like design before function in the Mini.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

I considered a Min rather than a Polo but it’s so impractical in comparison, and the console is over styled for my tastes.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

It is too low for me to get in and out and also the extras and options list is huge. This maybe a plus point if you have days to trawl through deciding such things as the colour of the door handles, but not me. At least the Polo's option list is quite short.
joeknight94
New
Drives: Polo GTI+ DSG

Post by joeknight94 »

Just a quick update from week 48 you’ll be able to order the Polo GTI and GTI Plus with the Beats Sound System upgrade, not sure on costing yet but will keep you posted. Will be adding it to my next car (having the same car but I’m Limestone Grey) not gonna be here til March though [emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk