Ignore me ;)

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Jericho704
New
Drives: 2018 AW1 Energetic Orange SEL 115ps

Ignore me ;)

Post by Jericho704 »

Thanks for all the help guys!
Last edited by Jericho704 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nisis
New
Drives: Blue GT

Re: Anyone know any Chip Tunes for the Polo?

Post by nisis »

SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Jericho704 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:44 pm I was looking to get a plug in tune like Racechip for the polo, as I want more power, but not a full flash, and one that can be unplugged (so that insurance and MOT dont know ;)

But I cant seem to find anyone that makes a plug in chip for the AW1 Polo

Anyone know any tuning companies?
So what would happen if you’re involved in a road traffic accident, your car’s recovered on a flat bed lorry to a body shop for your insurer to inspect / authorise repairs and you don’t have an opportunity to remove the plug in tune? If you’ve not told your insurer of the modification, it could affect your claim.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

SRGTD wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:46 pm
Jericho704 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:44 pm I was looking to get a plug in tune like Racechip for the polo, as I want more power, but not a full flash, and one that can be unplugged (so that insurance and MOT dont know ;)

But I cant seem to find anyone that makes a plug in chip for the AW1 Polo

Anyone know any tuning companies?
So what would happen if you’re involved in a road traffic accident, your car’s recovered on a flat bed lorry to a body shop for your insurer to inspect / authorise repairs and you don’t have an opportunity to remove the plug in tune? If you’ve not told your insurer of the modification, it could affect your claim.
It's nice to see somebody with a bit of common sense in the forum, People who fit these power boosting chips, don't seem to think about things like that, and to be honest, the insurance people should wipe their hands of the claim.
I even had to tell the insurance company that I had fitted a tow ball
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

nisis wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:57 pm https://www.chiptuning.com/
DTE systems are pretty responsible as tuning box providers go. They're TUV certified, so they've given their output increases and maps some careful consideration to not upping the power/torque more than would be expected to compromise the longevity of the components it affects.

DTUK use DTE hardware, but up the maps somewhat, without the TUV considerations. For the very resilient 2.0TDI unit, I had no concerns running a DTUK box on my old Golf GTD manual, it transformed the car. Unfortunately the Golf GTI and R manual have a bit of a chocolate clutch which will not take any extra torque - I had brief clutch slip on my completely stock Golf R on one occasion in March, when we had that unseasonably cold blast and the temp was under -2C, so I wouldn't dare go for one of these on my R. The DSG box is very resilient, and DSG Rs can be upped in power/torque through a box or remap considerably - so no gearbox handling worries for me on the currently DSG exclusive Polo GTI.

I would always go down the insurance route though. If you have a smash where you are partially or fully to blame and the insurance are aware that you've ran one of these undeclared then they will not hesitate to not pay out for your own loss, covering only 3rd party liabilities. The boxes intended for TDIs plug in to the common rail sensor and the MAF, and are supplied with power from one of those plug-ins (can't remember which). The TSI units require a 3rd plug in for power source and are awkward to get to , involving fumbling around under the lower front end of the engine - that won't be easy to get off in a hurry if you are in a smash and are looking to remove quickly because you didn't declare it.

These units are sold as much on their fuel saving claims as their power increase, so from the point of view of a fule saver, the insurance companies quite often look favourably on these if you've got some decent no claims racked up.

My GTD went from 184ps/370Nm to 240ps/505Nm, and it cost me about 5% extra a year on my insurance.

If you are looking for a DTUK box, the guy there who runs it is called Andrew and he offers forum discounts over at the Golf GTI forum, you might want to ask him if he's prepared to do the same for this forum. DTUK are localish to me, and I was able to try the box on my GTD before I bought it. He also offered me a free upgrade to the new box for trialling it and feeding back. It was great on the GTD, and when I changed to the R, my Dad stuck the box on his GTD until post dieselgate VW "fixes" to his GTD made the car run poorly with the DTUK box on. Not sure if there is an update available (probably), but my Dad has since stopped using it after 84k fun miles with it on.
Leoniums
New
Drives: 2018, Pure White, Highline, DSG

Post by Leoniums »

DTE has a tune. I own a DSG 115Hp and when I asked for a diagram I was told that the tune is identical to the 95Hp diagram.
If anyone is interested to see the diagram let me know.