GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by SRGTD »

joeknight94 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:04 am Just a quick update from week 48 you’ll be able to order the Polo GTI and GTI Plus with the Beats Sound System upgrade, not sure on costing yet but will keep you posted. Will be adding it to my next car (having the same car but I’m Limestone Grey) not gonna be here til March though [emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Any news on when / if there’ll be a manual gearbox version of the GTI / GTI+ Joe?
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

I bet you will lose the space saver spare wheel though as there is not a lot of space under the boot floor for the sub woofer.
joeknight94
New
Drives: Polo GTI+ DSG

Post by joeknight94 »

SRGTD wrote:
joeknight94 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:04 am Just a quick update from week 48 you’ll be able to order the Polo GTI and GTI Plus with the Beats Sound System upgrade, not sure on costing yet but will keep you posted. Will be adding it to my next car (having the same car but I’m Limestone Grey) not gonna be here til March though [emoji53]

Any news on when / if there’ll be a manual gearbox version of the GTI / GTI+ Joe?

Due to WLTP I think they are holding it back for open for order date until it’s tested but the manual looks as though it will be going in to production in late November with the DSG going back into production from the 8th November so should be back end of this year! [emoji106]

SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

joeknight94 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:29 am
SRGTD wrote:

Due to WLTP I think they are holding it back for open for order date until it’s tested but the manual looks as though it will be going in to production in late November with the DSG going back into production from the 8th November so should be back end of this year! [emoji106]

Thanks for the update Joe. 🙂
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

barrywi wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:26 am I bet you will lose the space saver spare wheel though as there is not a lot of space under the boot floor for the sub woofer.
I have ordered gti with spare wheel and beats no problem there :) What I saw from youtobe then gti have battery and spare wheel stacked at top of each other and subwoofer is at left side. I think you will loose variable boot floor.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Dark_cze wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:57 pm
barrywi wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:26 am I bet you will lose the space saver spare wheel though as there is not a lot of space under the boot floor for the sub woofer.
I have ordered gti with spare wheel and beats no problem there :) What I saw from youtobe then gti have battery and spare wheel stacked at top of each other and subwoofer is at left side. I think you will loose variable boot floor.
Interesting, because you do loose the spare wheel with the UK spec Polo Beats model. You get tyre mobility kit and compressor instead.

Photos on page 2 of this thread in Norbreck21a’s post dated 20th Feb 2018 does show the under floor boot area of a GTI with the Beats Audio sub to the left of the spare wheel well, but no spare wheel fitted.

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=70859&start=15
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

This poses a question, would you rather have an amplifier or a spare wheel in the boot, I mainly listen to MP3 so the quality of the sound is down right from the start, but I know if I had a flat tyre, I would be able to change it and get too my destination, without pumping that gunk into my tyre.
Your in the third lane of a motorway doing 70MPH, you get a puncture, and you safely get to the hard shoulder, by the time you have stopped, 30 cans of that gunk won't enable you to continue on your journey, mind you if you open your nearside window and turn up the volume on your "Beat" radio, it will keep you amused while waiting on the other side of the safety rail for the tow truck.
Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

SRGTD wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:33 pm Interesting, because you do loose the spare wheel with the UK spec Polo Beats model. You get tyre mobility kit and compressor instead.

Photos on page 2 of this thread in Norbreck21a’s post dated 20th Feb 2018 does show the under floor boot area of a GTI with the Beats Audio sub to the left of the spare wheel well, but no spare wheel fitted.

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=70859&start=15
I can't find that anymore maybe it was golf video. anyway even the battery bracket have holder for that middle "bolt". Take a look at this drawing from etka and some photos of audi because they use same system of holding spare to battery.
Attachments
nut.jpg
battery.jpg
etka.PNG
Last edited by Dark_cze on Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

Interesting dilemma @silverhairs. In my opinion, I would opt for the spare wheel over the Beats system. I'm not a fan of the beats bling that gets added, the loss of space in the boot and from the reviews I've seen the bass of the Beats sound system is too bassy. For the money, I feel like it isn't such a good deal when the stock sound system I found to be quite good as it is.

But anyway can you not get a space saver wheel in the boot with Beats anyway? So the choice of wheel or beats is redundant? As stated already the subwoofer is located to the side of the spare wheel slot, not in it. Yes, the battery is mounted in the spare wheel area but I thought there is room for both the wheel and battery in that area? Or am I completely missing something here?
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

My Gti does not have a variable floor like I had with the previous up. The battery and the spare take up the space. Not sure how much better the beats system is but I would not want to lose the spare.
Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

barrywi wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:27 pm My Gti does not have a variable floor like I had with the previous up. The battery and the spare take up the space. Not sure how much better the beats system is but I would not want to lose the spare.
there should not be any problem with space because beat subwoofer take only left part of boot space
Attachments
boot.jpg
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

barrywi wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:27 pm My Gti does not have a variable floor like I had with the previous up. The battery and the spare take up the space. Not sure how much better the beats system is but I would not want to lose the spare.
I would also not want to lose the spare.

I had the Dynaudio upgraded audio system in my mk6 Golf GTD and was rather underwhelmed by it. It was fine if you like bass-heavy music and have the volume up high, but I don’t like heavy bass, and I don’t listen to music with the volume at ear bleeding levels. I found I was constantly making adjustments to the bass, middle and treble settings to try and find the optimum setting, but it might only be the optimum setting for what I was listening to at the time.

I find the standard sound system is perfectly adequate for me in a car, which IMO isn’t the best environment for listening to music because of the impact of other noise sources (e.g. engine, tyre and wind noise).

An upgraded in-car audio system will be high on the priority list of some buyers and I respect that, as we’re individuals and like and want different things. However, I’d rather have the spare wheel, save the cost of whatever the Beats Audio option might cost and invest that money in upgrading my home hi-fi.
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

Picked the wife’s new Arona up Wednesday with the beats audio fitted and the car came with a spare wheel as the sub woofer sits inside the spare wheel, if you don’t order beats it comes with an inflator kit, this was a nice surprise.
sailorp
New
Drives: 2018 GTI+

Post by sailorp »

Second post. My first is about the handbrake and auto stop/start function, in the Handbrake topic.
So I've had the Polo GTi+ for a week or ss.
It was a demo, we got it with 1900miles on the clock.
Not a lot of extras, just the heated seats in the Alt velour.
(The heated seats are a must for both of us, being old and sensitive to a cold bum).
Apart from a graunchy handbrake, which is why I might go speak to the dealer, I've only had one other issue, which I expected tbh.
It's a bit exciting (read - directionally unstable) under hard acceleration and a bit of steering lock, eg when overtaking.
To be expected I suppose...front wheel drive and 200hp do not make for an easy combination.
My Superb, which has 280hp, but crucially also has the 4x4 system, does not squirm about, nor does my brother's Golf R, similarly equipped.
The 4x4 makes all the difference with traction.
I'll just have to adjust my driving style, and apply throttle a bit more gradually when pulling out to overtake.
Otherwise the car has been brilliant. Like the iconic Mk 2 Golf Gti. loud, nippy & fun. It corners better than the Superb, which matters out where I live, lots of twisty country roads.
It doesn't have the out and out grunt of the Superb when accelerating, but it's more than enough to cope with traffic on single carriageway A roads in Herefordshire...we don't do motorways here.
I'm looking forward to life with the Polo.
Chris Ro
New
Drives: 2018 Polo GTi+

Post by Chris Ro »

Hi guys enjoying my new Polo GTi+ it feels a little flat... Any box tunes available yet? :D