GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by Dan34 »

Robint wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:50 am Mine does exactly the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Strange! It must be by design then.
Robint
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 polo GTI

Post by Robint »

It changes even lower when it’s not warmed up ? Think it must be how its programmed

silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Once the engine is well in the red, that's when the power starts to fall off, so just before it would give you the best acceleration time.
Robint
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 polo GTI

Post by Robint »

Good point

Dan34
Getting There!

Post by Dan34 »

I don't go near the redline when the engine isn't warmed up.

On my Golf R it would go into the shaded red zone before changing gear. The polo seems to change a lot earlier.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Dan34 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:47 pm I don't go near the redline when the engine isn't warmed up.

On my Golf R it would go into the shaded red zone before changing gear. The polo seems to change a lot earlier.
9n my manual Golf R, for a lot of miles, the rev limiter used to cut in at 6000 revs when accelerating, now it'll hit 6750 if you want it to. I can't remember the exact threshold for change but it was well after the running in period - maybe 6k miles or thereabouts?

All recent VWs (since the MK7 Golf came in 2012) operate under reduced performance until the oil reaches 50C.

Had confirmation that my 2nd Polo GTI+ did get ordered after chasing the dealership up, so the order books must be open again after the October hiatus, even though you still can't configure on the website as a consumer. Have my order number and status is with factory, order's been in at least a week.
Dan34
Getting There!

Post by Dan34 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:41 pm
Dan34 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:47 pm I don't go near the redline when the engine isn't warmed up.

9n my manual Golf R, for a lot of miles, the rev limiter used to cut in at 6000 revs when accelerating, now it'll hit 6750 if you want it to. I can't remember the exact threshold for change but it was well after the running in period - maybe 6k miles or thereabouts?

All recent VWs (since the MK7 Golf came in 2012) operate under reduced performance until the oil reaches 50C.

Had confirmation that my 2nd Polo GTI+ did get ordered after chasing the dealership up, so the order books must be open again after the October hiatus, even though you still can't configure on the website as a consumer. Have my order number and status is with factory, order's been in at least a week.
Interesting, maybe its 10000KM which is around 6200 miles and it'll rev higher than it does now. I'm on about 5500 miles at the moment, will keep an eye on it!

I got my Golf R on 18000 miles so was well run in by the time I got it.
DNGmaestro
New
Drives: GTI 2018

Post by DNGmaestro »

What do u guys call GTI plus ?

What's the difference between the GTI and the GTI plus?
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

DNGmaestro wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:54 pm What do u guys call GTI plus ?

A plus is mechanically and performance-wise the same car, but with extras totalling about £2700 on an individual basis for about £1600 extra.

Off the top of my head, the extra equipment is rear glass has a 70% tint, the virtual dash (screen, not dials), LED dipped and main beam auto dimming rear view mirror, auto lights and wipers , armrest, keyless entry. That's most of it if not everything.
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

DNGmaestro wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:54 pm What do u guys call GTI plus ?

I would suggest that if the Gti plus is an option in Portugal and you can afford to pay a little bit more for it that it makes more sense to go for it than just taking a couple of the options that are included in the Gti plus package.
Poachersun
New
Drives: 2018 POLO GTI

Post by Poachersun »

Dan34 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:14 pm

Interesting, maybe its 10000KM which is around 6200 miles and it'll rev higher than it does now. I'm on about 5500 miles at the moment, will keep an eye on it!

I am at 2500kms and she won't rev past 6000rpm, even in manual sport modes.
I have found though, if you have it in standard drive mode, change to manual, it's still "normal drive" changes, no popping exhaust etc. BUT if you have it in S / Sport mode,(clicking the drive selector down) and then change to manual, it's got the quicker shifts and exhaust pops.

Also - if you turn the car off in selective sport/custom / economy mode, when starting backup it will still be in that mode but the gear selection returns to "d" standard drive (even from economy!).

I have a noise rattling at the back i haven't found yet.
Oh and if anyone wants to know how much a replacement 18" Brescia is with tyre - $1675 incl GST (NZD) so $890 pound? Quite high!

If anyone has anything they want me to try out/test feel free to ask :)
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

Poachersun wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:30 am
Dan34 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:14 pm

I am at 2500kms and she won't rev past 6000rpm, even in manual sport modes.
I have found though, if you have it in standard drive mode, change to manual, it's still "normal drive" changes, no popping exhaust etc. BUT if you have it in S / Sport mode,(clicking the drive selector down) and then change to manual, it's got the quicker shifts and exhaust pops.

Also - if you turn the car off in selective sport/custom / economy mode, when starting backup it will still be in that mode but the gear selection returns to "d" standard drive (even from economy!).

I have a noise rattling at the back i haven't found yet.
Oh and if anyone wants to know how much a replacement 18" Brescia is with tyre - $1675 incl GST (NZD) so $890 pound? Quite high!

If anyone has anything they want me to try out/test feel free to ask :)
They are not cheap. I found german site where they ask 250€ per wheel without tyre ...
richl123
New

Post by richl123 »

For anyone wanting a badge upgrade

https://www.evo.co.uk/audi/a1-s-line/21 ... h-polo-gti

I need this just for the ambient lighting on the vents 1:54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aalTJs6As6I
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

So ..a lot more money for a hand grab on the ceiling and a front end with a big gob. I can manage without the coloured light thingy and I suppose they will all be black or double black. Just seen an amusing Audi car magazine double page advert suggesting that buying the “Black Edition” version of their models makes the car “Stand out from the crowd” .
As 90% of Audis are black anyway that does not work for me.
I wonder how much the 2 litre 200 bhp auto equivalent of the Polo Gti plus will cost?
jylydesign
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+ on order

Post by jylydesign »

Interesting pic of the nav with a Google icon in the instrument binnacle. I wonder if Google maps and Waze can be shown here and not just the centre screen as in the Polo?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk