SOS!!! Do i have a serious problem?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Cosmonaut21
New
Drives: 6R 1.2 TSI

Post by Cosmonaut21 »

I decided to change the timing chain,tensioner etc.(whole set) because the car made that horrible noise on startup that started a couple of years ago.
Now i can hear this weird whinig noise that increases as the revs increase and sounds like those little toy cars.
To better understand what i mean here is a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeyMdoL ... hakElisaus

The day before the car went to the mechanic there were no noises.
Also it seems to be working perfectly fine and there are no error codes.The mechanic says that everything is ok.
While searching on the internet the only explanation i found that seems to match my case is that the tensioner was not fitted the right way.
Could this be possible?
I have to say that i am more worried now that the car got ''fixed'' than before :?
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: SOS!!! Do i have a serious problem?

Post by iichel »

I suppose it would be good to double-check everything. Is the timing set correctly? Is everything mounted correctly? Pre tension OK?
Cosmonaut21
New

Post by Cosmonaut21 »

The mechanic says ''yes'' to all of that.Actually he asked me to keep the car for one more day from the beginning so that he could make sure that it drives ok.(i thought that's weird.he could have driven it right away).I had previously taken a photo so i checked and the car had done 6 miles so i don't think he just kept it to drive around.
The shop is supposed to be probably the best in the area and no one ever had a problem from what i hear and read on the internet let alone a serious one.
Now i have to drive 200+ miles tomorrow (Sunday) and that's why i thought to ask if something like that is normal with the latest tensioner.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

If I was worried by that noise that is new, I'd remove the auxiliary drive belt and run the engine at fast idle to see if removing that drive belt had got rid of these noises that are worrying you.
kasapovic75
New
Drives: VW polo gti 2016

Post by kasapovic75 »

Cosmonaut21 wrote:I decided to change the timing chain,tensioner etc.(whole set) because the car made that horrible noise on startup that started a couple of years ago.
Now i can hear this weird whinig noise that increases as the revs increase and sounds like those little toy cars.
To better understand what i mean here is a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeyMdoL ... hakElisaus

The day before the car went to the mechanic there were no noises.
Also it seems to be working perfectly fine and there are no error codes.The mechanic says that everything is ok.
While searching on the internet the only explanation i found that seems to match my case is that the tensioner was not fitted the right way.
Could this be possible?
I have to say that i am more worried now that the car got ''fixed'' than before :?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kasapovic75
New

Post by kasapovic75 »

Ups [emoji3596][emoji3596]
Last edited by kasapovic75 on Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kasapovic75
New

Post by kasapovic75 »

kasapovic75 wrote:Very important with the timechain engiens. When cold start important to heat up the catalyst to be warm. Starts with 1000-1100 rpm and goes down to 600 rpm in 30-45 sec. If your car is a 2013-14 it has a better chain tensioner and chain but you changed the chain so hope it sounds better. Bought mine 2014 6r 1,2 tsi from new and never had a problem. Its been remaped to 235hp/215nm on stock eternals. The car had always rattled a bit ( 5 sec ) when cold start. I changed my oil to 0W30 to reach the chain tensioner faster. 0W40 can do ( VW 502...) dont go over 2500 rev. when cold if you want to keep engine/turbo healthy. Change oil. And when you at your destination, keep the engine running , handbreak and no gear until you unbunkle yourself ect. A good thing to do to.
Cant hear much but wait to its warm and listen. Dont know if scirocco made any models in 2013-14 cause all cars from VW in that periode with chain havent had a problem with the chain and tensioner. Developed new tools to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cosmonaut21
New

Post by Cosmonaut21 »

Update.Still going strong everything seems to be ok.

This is the sound i am talking about :

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aInCzpB ... ebberBreda[/youtube]