Flywheel?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
LawrenceDGraham
Getting There!
Drives: VW Polo GTI 2016

Flywheel?

Post by LawrenceDGraham »

I have a 6c GTI 6 speed the flywheel could do with being replaced and ca t seem too find one under 400 pounds I've just recently done a clutch a d flywheel on a 2013 Golf 2.0l TDI and my new clutch fits on the golf gearbox and side in the flywheel nicely just so daring if anyone know if it would fit my 1.8 tsi I can get the part number off the golf tomorrow morning if that's any help too anyone on here.

With it being a diesel flywheel the torque rating will be greater then the petrol one I would assume which isn't a bad thing as I could do with the extra strength. :?: :?: :|
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Flywheel?

Post by RUM4MO »

I'd think that the big issue could be that the TDI flywheel weighs a lot more as it needs to dampen out the DERV impulses a bit - they tend to be a lot higher but for a shorter duration than a petrol engine.
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

Obviously I don’t know what’s wrong with your flywheel.

If the starter ring is damaged that can be replaced.

If the friction zone is scored that can be machined and at the same time the flywheel could be lightened which would help the engine to rev.

I’ve never encountered a flywheel that could not be rescued, my only reservation would be if it is cracked in which case it is scrap.

It is possible to repair a cracked flywheel if it is irreplaceable but to do it properly is time consuming and very expensive and only really worthwhile on a rare and valuable classic car.

If the diesel flywheel fits it would need extensive machining to make it light enough for a sporty petrol engine, any additional strength would be lost in the machining. Using a heavy flywheel would alter the characteristics of a GTi so much you would end up tearing your hair out in frustration.
LawrenceDGraham
Getting There!

It's just with it being dual mass it has a bit of play on it and some times I can feel a gudder when pulling away
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

i'm going to be changing to a single mass flywheel due to future upgrades

there is a few places sell a full clutch and flywheel kit (darkside developments is one place)

you will probably have to email them your VIN number to check fitment as the polo always seems to be left off vehicle lists lol
LawrenceDGraham
Getting There!

Yeah didn't really want too get another clutch kit as just spent like 800 quid on the one I've got I've got a stage 3 clutch and a stage 2 but running the stage 2 due too the harshness of the stage 3 paddle clutch.
And non of the clutch plates have springs in them so a solid flywheel would just destroy the clutch.