New GTI + delivery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
SHIPWRECKED
New
Drives: GTI +

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by SHIPWRECKED »

Well, I've waited (granted - not as long as some!) but now the day has come and I have to give up. Following placing an order on May 24th for a GTI + with Brescias & DBP paint, I'm still waiting for a build date. Originally told Sept, then Jan and now I have been told an UNCONFIRMED build is looking likely for week 19. My current lease car that I had already extended by 5mths to cover the original wait is going back next week as I cannot extend further, so I will be without a vehicle in a week with no real idea if/when I would ever see my Polo.

So, I am bowing out regretfully. Annoyed at myself for wasting 8mths already. Extending the lease on my car during the wait has already cost me over £500 to put it through a 2nd service & set of tyres that I would not have needed to do if I had received my car when I was originally told. And now that I have had to cancel my insurance mid policy as I have no vehicle to carry it on with, I am out of pocket again with a £55 admin fee (thanks RAC) and 2 mths off another years no claims so I lose that one too.

I have been pretty appalled at the lack of info and shoddy customer service provided by VW customer services (the dealers have been really helpful - they are equally in the dark), yes I know it's all down to WLTP - but let's remember who started that in the first place.

So, I hope those that are able to wait - are pleased when they finally get to meet their new arrival! Maybe my cancellation will enable one of you to move up the line? Who knows. Good luck to you all!
gonk1959
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 Gti polo

Post by gonk1959 »

thats a bummer shipwrecked.

As I said. Im still waiting delivery and thus far my dealership have paid for the service it was due last Aug and I take it in this month for a MOT and again the dealership said it will pay if anything needs doing to pass it. I cant get it taxed until I have a MOT cert. Its a bummer. It needs taxing end of month. does anyone know/confirm? I plan on taxing it by monthly direct debit purely because I dont wont to pay the full yr since i hope its long gone by then. Can I just cancel the Direct debit ??
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

gonk1959 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:04 pm thats a bummer shipwrecked.

As I said. Im still waiting delivery and thus far my dealership have paid for the service it was due last Aug and I take it in this month for a MOT and again the dealership said it will pay if anything needs doing to pass it. I cant get it taxed until I have a MOT cert. Its a bummer. It needs taxing end of month. does anyone know/confirm? I plan on taxing it by monthly direct debit purely because I dont wont to pay the full yr since i hope its long gone by then. Can I just cancel the Direct debit ??
It will need a valid MOT for you to be able to tax it.

Don’t you pay a 5% surcharge extra if you pay for your road tax monthly? If you were to pay for the full year up front, you’d get a refund for any full unexpired months left to run on your 12 months tax when you notify DVLA that you no longer own the car.

Link to information on DVLA website re. cancelling direct debits;

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-direct-debit/cancelling
gonk1959
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 Gti polo

Post by gonk1959 »

many thanks SRGTD
Thats good to know
SHIPWRECKED
New

Post by SHIPWRECKED »

grudgey wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:26 pm In all seriousness if you are interested in a low mileage car mine might be for sale.

As I said in other posts I am not enjoying the car as much as I would have thought and the lack of fuel economy doesn't suit my type of driving.

If I was doing longer trips the fuel economy is ok but for what I use the car for the mpg is too low.

GRANT
Thanks for the offer - if I was buying I may consider, but I'm leasing. Thanks though.
jylydesign
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+ on order

Post by jylydesign »

SHIPWRECKED wrote:Well, I've waited (granted - not as long as some!) but now the day has come and I have to give up. Following placing an order on May 24th for a GTI + with Brescias & DBP paint, I'm still waiting for a build date. Originally told Sept, then Jan and now I have been told an UNCONFIRMED build is looking likely for week 19. My current lease car that I had already extended by 5mths to cover the original wait is going back next week as I cannot extend further, so I will be without a vehicle in a week with no real idea if/when I would ever see my Polo.

So, I am bowing out regretfully. Annoyed at myself for wasting 8mths already. Extending the lease on my car during the wait has already cost me over £500 to put it through a 2nd service & set of tyres that I would not have needed to do if I had received my car when I was originally told. And now that I have had to cancel my insurance mid policy as I have no vehicle to carry it on with, I am out of pocket again with a £55 admin fee (thanks RAC) and 2 mths off another years no claims so I lose that one too.

I have been pretty appalled at the lack of info and shoddy customer service provided by VW customer services (the dealers have been really helpful - they are equally in the dark), yes I know it's all down to WLTP - but let's remember who started that in the first place.

So, I hope those that are able to wait - are pleased when they finally get to meet their new arrival! Maybe my cancellation will enable one of you to move up the line? Who knows. Good luck to you all!
Similar situation to what I was in. Extended existing lease to the maximum 3 months over and still no car so had to forgo multicar insurance discount and lose no claims bonus. Very annoying.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

New-gti-guy
New
Drives: 1.6

Post by New-gti-guy »

grudgey wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:38 pm
gonk1959 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:59 am interestingly I went on the VW site yesterday and there's no GTI option in the range at the moment !!!

So grudgey, you say you waited?? So you have yours now ?
Yes indeed I took delivery of my GTi+ on 28th November.
What car did you drive before?.. Was it worth the wait ?? ;-)
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Don't let VW headquarters tell you it's all to do with the new emission regs, it's not. Even my dealer doesn't believe that.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

grudgey wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:26 pm In all seriousness if you are interested in a low mileage car mine might be for sale.

As I said in other posts I am not enjoying the car as much as I would have thought and the lack of fuel economy doesn't suit my type of driving.

If I was doing longer trips the fuel economy is ok but for what I use the car for the mpg is too low.

GRANT
Your expectations vs reality for mpg probably don't add up to an extra £400 a year on fuel. If you were keeping the car 3 years I'd suck it up and keep the car - you'll lose more than that in selling it. Initial depreciation is huge if you only keep a car 6 months.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Spoke with my dealer today and got a positive update.

I've been given a week 8 build date. Hopefully that actually remains true and it doesn't get delayed. Might see the car by April (I hope).
rooneys
New
Drives: Golf gtd

Post by rooneys »

SHIPWRECKED wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:30 pm Well, I've waited (granted - not as long as some!) but now the day has come and I have to give up. Following placing an order on May 24th for a GTI + with Brescias & DBP paint, I'm still waiting for a build date. Originally told Sept, then Jan and now I have been told an UNCONFIRMED build is looking likely for week 19. My current lease car that I had already extended by 5mths to cover the original wait is going back next week as I cannot extend further, so I will be without a vehicle in a week with no real idea if/when I would ever see my Polo.

my dealer has lent me a new polo until mine arrives in March. I've had it a month already. Definitely worth an ask before cancelling.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I wouldn't consider chopping In a 6 month old car that I enjoyed driving at £3k to £5k loss because I was disappointed that it was going to cost £400 a year more in fuel than I thought.

What spec have you got? Could be tempted by yours myself and cancel the one I have on order.

Fancy a swap for a May 2015 Manual Golf R in Lapis Blue, 19" Pretoria Wheels, with remainder of 5 year factory warranty and 2 unused services?
SHIPWRECKED
New

Post by SHIPWRECKED »

rooneys wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:00 pm
SHIPWRECKED wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:30 pm Well, I've waited (granted - not as long as some!) but now the day has come and I have to give up. Following placing an order on May 24th for a GTI + with Brescias & DBP paint, I'm still waiting for a build date. Originally told Sept, then Jan and now I have been told an UNCONFIRMED build is looking likely for week 19. My current lease car that I had already extended by 5mths to cover the original wait is going back next week as I cannot extend further, so I will be without a vehicle in a week with no real idea if/when I would ever see my Polo.

my dealer has lent me a new polo until mine arrives in March. I've had it a month already. Definitely worth an ask before cancelling.
Rooneys - I've done that, I asked the lease company who asked the retailer and was told bluntly that VW UK would not be supporting anyone delayed due to WLTP as it wasn't 'their' fault. That statement was the nail in the coffin for me really - I even offered to pay to use a demo or anything that they could offer (didn't care what!!). Can I ask which retailer has let you do that? If you don't mind me asking.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Grudgey:

A White GTI+ with Brescias is what I have ordered to chop the R in for. Didn't order the camera, I have it on our Red GTI+, but only because it was specced on the order I grabbed just before it was built.

Sounds like on a p/x basis your Polo and my R are pretty much on equal terms.

My R has a manual box, the R signature colour of Lapis blue (like a Cobalt blue with some purple in there). It has the very popular 19" Pretoria Wheels-which are painted rather than diamond cut - looking far better than the hideous standard Cadiz wheels. 300ps/Haldex 4WD.
Apart from the wheels and paint, it is standard pre-facelift spec - Auto lights (Xenon-dynamic cornering), auto wipers and dimming rear view mirror, ACC, dual zone climate control, cloth/alcantara seats, electronic handbrake, folding mirrors with puddle lights, and probably plenty of little things I've forgotten about.

Retails £20-21k in current age/mileage and with Prets.

It's about the same mpg as the Polo around the doors, but on the motorway you won't see any better than 36mpg - and it needs RON98/99 super unleaded. Still has 16 months factory warranty remaining and 2 services unused to transfer.

If you want a new car then I suppose it may not be for you.

Out of interest, how many miles were on yours as a demo before you got it?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

SHIPWRECKED wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:10 pm
Rooneys - I've done that, I asked the lease company who asked the retailer and was told bluntly that VW UK would not be supporting anyone delayed due to WLTP as it wasn't 'their' fault. That statement was the nail in the coffin for me really - I even offered to pay to use a demo or anything that they could offer (didn't care what!!). Can I ask which retailer has let you do that? If you don't mind me asking.
They had a year's notice for WLTP, so it kind of is VW's fault. They buried their head in the sand.

I think there'll be a few more cancellations due to these waits. It's stories like these which put me off leasing, with very little wriggle room to extend in most cases. You need to order your next VW as soon as yours arrives to have seamless 2 year leases at the rate they're banging the GTIs out currently.