1.6 TDI remap.

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
ixReaperrr
New
Drives: 2010 1.6 TDI

1.6 TDI remap.

Post by ixReaperrr »

Anyone remapped their 1.6 TDI 75ps? Ive been quoted £225 for an increase to around 140 bhp. Was wondering if any of you guys have got this done and how it went for you?
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Re: 1.6 TDI remap.

Post by Ricmondo »

That seems to be an unfeasibly large increase without changes to turbo or injection hardware.

I may be wrong but I think owners of similar vehicles seldom manage to squeeze out much more than 100 or so genuine bhp by remapping or fitting a tuning box.

I hope you can get the improvement you are looking for but don’t be blinded by outright power at the expense of drivability or reliability.

I’m sure many contributors will be interested in how it works out for you, keep us informed and best of luck.
grpolo
New
Drives: 6R

Post by grpolo »

Hello mate, if it is a 4cylinder 6R with a custom software it will go up to 140HP and maybe a little more depending on the condition of your car (injectors,clogged DPF etc). Only the turbo pressure is increased to achieve 140HP. You can go up to 180 without changing the injectors although you will need a bigger turbo and a DPF delete.

For me it went perfectly, its like a drive a different car after the upgrade, but i also changed the brakes to 288mm, because the stock 256mm was inadequate even with 90HP. I changed and the stock very s**t and dangerous suspension to Koni sport suspension and tuned it at 50% hardness.
The car is now a dream to drive...
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

Measured at wheels or flywheel?
grpolo
New

Post by grpolo »

At flywheel of course
KeithS
New
Drives: 2010 1.6TDI

Post by KeithS »

Just had my 1.6TDI remapped by Celtic Tuning, using their rolling road. It's a 75bhp model (on the rollers it actually showed around 78bhp FWHP) and it now has 142bhp. People who say you can't achieve that kind of power increase forget that the 75, 90 and 105 are identical other than the factory ECU mapping, so anything that can be done to the 105 can be carried out on the 75 with the same result.

And the result is a car which is much more pleasant to drive – no more dropping down a gear for the long climbs on the A30 in Cornwall – and which is more economical in everyday driving. It's not a car that I'd drive flat out anywhere (I have a Porsche and a Westfield for more spirited drives) so have no reason to expect reliability/longevity to be affected. My car had covered 32K prior to the remap. It's the third car I've had remapped by Celtic – the previous were an Audi A2 1.4 TDI (from 75 to 105bhp) and a 1.9 Golf TDI.

For £250, you can't argue – especially as the remap is done on a rolling road and not just some cheap plastic box with wires hanging out of it from eBay you plug in at home. www.celtictuning.co.uk
ixReaperrr
New
Drives: 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by ixReaperrr »

Yeah I'm looking to go ahead with it but my car has 80k mileage so I'm worried about the DPF getting clogged. Would it be a bad idea to remap it at 80k? What would be the best way to go about it if my DPF does get clogged up after a remap?
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

ixReaperrr wrote:Yeah I'm looking to go ahead with it but my car has 80k mileage so I'm worried about the DPF getting clogged. Would it be a bad idea to remap it at 80k? What would be the best way to go about it if my DPF does get clogged up after a remap?
Can't imagine it being an issue. Relying it's a decent map and doesn't create a lot more smoke it should affect the DPF.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

grpolo
New

Post by grpolo »

ixReaperrr wrote:Yeah I'm looking to go ahead with it but my car has 80k mileage so I'm worried about the DPF getting clogged. Would it be a bad idea to remap it at 80k? What would be the best way to go about it if my DPF does get clogged up after a remap?
At my map the programmer didn't even increase the injectors just the turbo, you shouldn't have any problems, if you used/use premium diesel in your car, there is very little chance that your DPF would get clogged at so low mileage.
fleagal
New
Drives: Polo GTi 2015 6C

Post by fleagal »

KeithS wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:09 pm For £250, you can't argue – especially as the remap is done on a rolling road and not just some cheap plastic box with wires hanging out of it from eBay you plug in at home. www.celtictuning.co.uk
Interestingly I just got a quote from celtic tuning for my 6c GTi. The price includes travel to my home of place of work for the remap. Unless rolling roads are portable it seems likely that the remap is performed without one. Not having had a remap I don't know the pros and cons of remap with rolling road versus remap without - does anyone have any views?

Thanks
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

fleagal wrote:
KeithS wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:09 pm For £250, you can't argue – especially as the remap is done on a rolling road and not just some cheap plastic box with wires hanging out of it from eBay you plug in at home. www.celtictuning.co.uk
Interestingly I just got a quote from celtic tuning for my 6c GTi. The price includes travel to my home of place of work for the remap. Unless rolling roads are portable it seems likely that the remap is performed without one. Not having had a remap I don't know the pros and cons of remap with rolling road versus remap without - does anyone have any views?

Thanks
I had mine done without a rolling road and never had an issue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

fleagal wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:33 pm Interestingly I just got a quote from celtic tuning for my 6c GTi. The price includes travel to my home of place of work for the remap. Unless rolling roads are portable it seems likely that the remap is performed without one. Not having had a remap I don't know the pros and cons of remap with rolling road versus remap without - does anyone have any views?
Thanks
The remap will just be a generic map for your type of car, not one specifically tailored to your particular car.
This is fine, the map that's in the car from VW is already generic. :D
All a rolling road would do is give you a readout of the final figures and allow them to tailor the map specifically to your car.
For perfectionists only really, don't worry about it.
fleagal
New
Drives: Polo GTi 2015 6C

Post by fleagal »

Thanks for the response Andy - good to know :P