Do I have cruise or not?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Re: Do I have cruise or not?

Post by Adam_013 »

silverhairs wrote:So to put the "Beats" in line with the other models, it's an "SE" with a better sound system, different materials inside with a go faster strip over the bonnet. Saying that I do like the white interior, but the red dash is just matt. I've had fitted orange dash pads to go with the outside of the car, and the dash pads are gloss. I've also had adaptive cruise control, but once I get a couple of thousand miles on the clock I'll give a detailed report on the Polo, so far so good :D
I know this now... After getting the beats and being told it's the same as their demo car but with the speakers and front fogs. I wasn't too impressed when mine didn't have cruise or sensors... I wasn't told their demo had options.

But there really is nothing special about it - I do like the interior though, and the seats are more comfortable after having an SE courtesy car and the sound system 'is' better but not by a huge amount, and not enough to warrant a 'beats' edition. Especially since the rear door speakers are like listening to a phone in a Pringle tin.

As for the go fast stripe, I had that removed - it looked terrible. On the second one now, and still full of issues... Should of kept the 9n3!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

That's one thing with the SEL it does have side bolsters on the front seats, not sure if they are as the GTi seats, also I like the back seats as they have couture backs so the rear passengers don't roll around when going round corners.
The sound system in the Beats would be no use to me as I mainly listen to MP3's, and on some journeys, long as well as short, the Mrs and I don't even have the radio or media on.
It's nice to listen to when washing the car.
Scotty_boy vw
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 6C 1ltr TSI/2018 1ltr TSI AW

Post by Scotty_boy vw »

I hope VW will release a retro fit kit because I miss not having cruise control.i bought the car originally thinking it had it because of the stalk and then I remembered that on the 6C it was on the steering wheel buttons when I had that activated at VW.

I think that the more people that ask about it it might make VW release a kit!!!

Scott
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

buying a NEW car is a big deal for me its the largest family expense that I have (next to the house). I agree I would not live without cruise (the loan SE im driving is void of cruise) I found the 450 round trip I did in it less fun because of the lack of cruise control probably to the point I would not do that drive in one day again.

There is no way I would make a major (for me) purchase without actually ensuring that all my "must haves" were actually on the car. Im not disrespecting anyone, I guess for some a car purchase is not a big deal, so if things get overlooked its does not really matter to them.
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

mike sel wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:35 am buying a NEW car is a big deal for me its the largest family expense that I have (next to the house). I agree I would not live without cruise (the loan SE im driving is void of cruise) I found the 450 round trip I did in it less fun because of the lack of cruise control probably to the point I would not do that drive in one day again.

There is no way I would make a major (for me) purchase without actually ensuring that all my "must haves" were actually on the car. Im not disrespecting anyone, I guess for some a car purchase is not a big deal, so if things get overlooked its does not really matter to them.
It's very much just a commuting tool for me.
When I got rid of my Leaf I was very much in 'meh' mode when I went shopping for a new ICE car and bought the first one I saw.
Having said that, I did want a 'funky' model and something full of grey, so I was looking at the Beats Polo and Bose Micra.
TBH I'd much rather have stayed in an electric car, but the cost of them has rocketed in the past year due to high demand and low supply. :(
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Does anyone know if retro-fitting of the cruise is an option?
Not the active cruise, wouldn't have that if you paid me, just the normal cruise.
On another forum, people seem to think it's just a case of activating it in VCD, all the 'hardware' is there.
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:12 am Does anyone know if retro-fitting of the cruise is an option?
Not the active cruise, wouldn't have that if you paid me, just the normal cruise.
On another forum, people seem to think it's just a case of activating it in VCD, all the 'hardware' is there.
I was told that you could activate the talk function via the VCD but this turned out to be false, the dealer agreed to do this for me as a good will gesture after the problems I had with the winter pack. They told me that they had to enter four different codes at set times during the process to activate it and the codes are then locked to that vehicle. When I checked the box they left in the vehicle the four codes were present on the paperwork so I knew what they said was correct. I would say that if they did this for the talk function you would need a similar process for the cruise control if it can be done.

If you google cruise control you will find companies that can retro fit this option for you so if you already have the stalk installed if should bring the cost down.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Cadwest wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:34 am
If you google cruise control you will find companies that can retro fit this option for you so if you already have the stalk installed if should bring the cost down.
I have 'a' stalk, but I don't think it's suitable for cruise.
Apparently the cruise stalk has a different switch, meaning you can toggle between cruise and speed limiter.
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

They also supply their own stalks as well so I presume they would just switch the one you have for one of theirs, at least they won’t have to cut a hole in the steering wheel cowling.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

Direct lift from Autotrader, From AW Polo S Models, first one listed as having cruise.
Attachments
0315e481cc1e48ddb4a3bda9a7fabc5e.jpg
0d167b4d83ea40bd89a6d13bdac754c7.jpg
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

For my 2006 Eos I bought a stalk from eBay for £39 and programmed the car for Cruise Control myself with VCDS. I have no idea how straightforward it would be to do the retrofit on the Polo AW though..
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Was just reading a thread in the older Polo forum here, the one before this one.
looks like it's a proper nightmare in that car, I guess an equal nightmare in this one (given it's just an evolution of that model).
Think I'll just forget it, use the wife's car for longer distances.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

roywolfey wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:53 pm Direct lift from Autotrader, From AW Polo S Models, first one listed as having cruise.
Yup, that 'mode' on the first photo means cruise and speed limiter.
Second photo is as per my car, limiter only.
Scotty_boy vw
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 6C 1ltr TSI/2018 1ltr TSI AW

Post by Scotty_boy vw »

I retro fitted cruise control on my Polo 6C i had to add the different buttons to the steering wheel and also add a wire from the steering controller then through the bulkhead and into the Engine ECU but then it had to be activated at the vw dealership with a CODE so its not possible to retro fit this without there help and even then it has to go online for someone over in germany to do this......

VW did release a Retro fit kit for the 6C for cruise control but we as owners have to keep at vw to release one for the new polo aw.

The more people that enquire about it at the dealers and also emails to vw or phone calls to customer care it might help!!!

scott
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

When purchasing a new car, you should have a list of what you want in a car, not take for granted that it's a standard fit on that model, for example, sat nav, cruise control, front and rear monitoring and things like that. Outside I have a courtesy car, and that's a bog standard Skoda Fabia, that's got the left hand stalk with the cruise control switch on top, but it don't have cruise control, it don't even have a sat nav. It's much easier to manufacture just one stalk and fit it in all cars than to make two types of stalks and faff about selecting which stalk goes in which model, just fit them to all models and if the model does have cruise control, then the wires are there ready.
But you are right about the demonstrator cars, the dealer loads them up, so you take for granted they are standard. it's a bit like watching the presenters on you-tube, all their cars have LED headlights where the front indicator (orange) is in the headlight, them cars are loaded, the Carwow presenter drives an orange car and the dash pads are orange, not the standard dark grey, I had to spec them when ordering, and they are £140 including VAT and when it turned up the tw@ts had fitted the dark grey, so the dealership had to order them in and fit them, but that's another story :x .
When using the adaptive cruise control, I only use the steering wheel controls, not the ones on the stalk, to be honest didn't even know they were there?

The moral of the story is, Don't take things for granted