Serron alloys

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Robby71
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Golf R-Line EVO

Serron alloys

Post by Robby71 »

Hi
I'm going to look at a GTi next week but as far as i can see on the photos the Serron alloys could have some white worm starting to appear :(
As this won't be covered by warranty (12 months for trim i believe?) if i bought the car i'd want them refurbing as i do like the design.
I've had 1 alloy diamoncut in the past on a previous car and was dissapointed with the finish so was wondering if anyone in Yorkshire has had theirs refurbed and could recommend somewhere, or did you have the wheels powdercoated in a different colour (not black)

Cheers
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Serron alloys

Post by SRGTD »

Manufacturing defects in the finish on diamond cut alloys always used to be covered for three years under the factory warranty. I had two diamond cut alloys on my mk6 Golf GTD that suffered from white worm corrosion replaced under warranty when the car was between 2.5 and 3 years old. The warranty manager at the dealership took photos of the wheels (presumably to send to VW to authorise replacing them) and new wheels were ordered. I think that since dieselgate and what it’s cost VW, they have tightened up on warranty claims and with wheels, they now measure the paint / powder coat / lacquer thickness on wheels with a paint thickness gauge to check they haven’t been previously refurbished - if they have been refurbished, then VW are unlikely to replace them under warranty.

But if the car you’re thinking of buying is under three years old, provided the wheels haven’t been kerbed or refurbished before and VW haven’t changed the time limit on wheels under the factory warranty, then you stand a good chance of getting any that are suffering from white worm replaced.
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Post by joe6 »

Why not make it a requirement before you purchase?
Robby71
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Golf R-Line EVO

Post by Robby71 »

joe6 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:34 am Why not make it a requirement before you purchase?
Dealer sent a photo of the only wheel with any defects - looks a little like white worm on a spoke but could be a scratch - not a very clear photo.
Dealer says as it's a used car it is what it is?