Crack / Line on Infortainment Screen

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Golemsmate
New

Crack / Line on Infortainment Screen

Post by Golemsmate »

Partner has a 68 plate polo GTi, noticed today the infotainment screen has a line down it which looks awfully like a crack, but only on the inside as it can't be felt.

Has anyone else had this issue before? Concerned when we tell them they'll say it's damage we've caused.
Attachments
IMG_20181227_181901.jpg
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Crack / Line on Infortainment Screen

Post by SRGTD »

Some mk7.5 Golf owners on other VW forums have had this issue - a line of dead pixels on the screen. You shouldn’t have any problems with it being replaced under warranty as the screen’s defective.
Garjen
New
Drives: 2018 beats

Post by Garjen »

I had this issue 4 weeks ago, on a 7 month old polo beats. Stopped at petrol station filled up started the car and the line appeared. Tried full reset thinking it may be software glitch but didn't fix it. Dealer took a look and has since ordered and fitted new screen no questions or hassle from them. Interestingly the service manager did let slip they had 9 on back order ! Just hope it's not a reoccurring issue. Like the brake clonk,
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Garjen wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:37 pm I had this issue 4 weeks ago, on a 7 month old polo beats. Stopped at petrol station filled up started the car and the line appeared. Tried full reset thinking it may be software glitch but didn't fix it. Dealer took a look and has since ordered and fitted new screen no questions or hassle from them. Interestingly the service manager did let slip they had 9 on back order ! Just hope it's not a reoccurring issue. Like the brake clonk,
Brake 'clonk' isn't a fault.
This is.
Chungster
New
Drives: 1.0 TSI SEL DSG

Post by Chungster »

Looked at my screen today after seeing this post - has the line also!

But not bothered by it really - only see it if you’re in the vehicle settings menu. Don’t see it in any other screens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Golemsmate
New

Post by Golemsmate »

Thanks for the replies, got it booked in next week so all being well should get fixed. I'll post an update on what happens. As we've got it on lease didn't want it to become a query or problem when it's handed back in 3 years.

Also noticed a weird glitch in the driving modes, where it doesn't do the features of eco mode (coast down a hill) after it's been turned off and back on again - they said they'd have a look at that too.
SCGB
New
Drives: 2018 SE 95PS

Post by SCGB »

I've got the same thing - most noticeable when I use Google Maps on Android Auto! Let us know what the dealer says.
zach.lambert
New

Post by zach.lambert »

Hi. I had the very same issue in the same spot! I took it to VW and they replaced it under warranty free of charge. Otherwise it was going to be £750!
I think the new screen is led instead of LCD.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

zach.lambert wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:11 am Hi. I had the very same issue in the same spot! I took it to VW and they replaced it under warranty free of charge. Otherwise it was going to be £750!
I think the new screen is led instead of LCD.
All screens are LCD, it's the type of lighting used to light up the crystals that differs.
Older stuff termed LCD use a lamp from behind, newer stuff termed LED use strips of LED lights from behind or the sides.
I'd have thought all the screens were lit by LEDs to keep them thin and reliable.
OLED is the current ultimate, as every pixel is its own light source.
zach.lambert
New

Post by zach.lambert »

Ok, the only reason I thought it changed types was there is now a equidistant light behind the screen. Looked like little leds to me at least. Never knew that about the different types and how they work though thanks
Golemsmate
New

Post by Golemsmate »

SCGB wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:43 am I've got the same thing - most noticeable when I use Google Maps on Android Auto! Let us know what the dealer says.
Dealer was very good, part on backorder and should be fitted next week - they also advised there is a software update on the infotainment they'll do when it's fixed.

While it was in for the diagnostic they did the recall on the back seatbelts I didn't know needed doing :-)
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

It’s a minor point but OLED is not LCD. Anyway, I must check my display when the car is returned.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Leif wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:47 am It’s a minor point but OLED is not LCD. Anyway, I must check my display when the car is returned.
Didn't say it was.
I said it's the current ultimate.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:16 am
Leif wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:47 am It’s a minor point but OLED is not LCD. Anyway, I must check my display when the car is returned.
Didn't say it was.
I said it's the current ultimate.
You said “all screens are LCD”. And current ultimate means current best, using a dictionary definition of ultimate.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Leif wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:32 pm And current ultimate means current best, using a dictionary definition of ultimate.
Yes, OLED is the current best screen option as it doesn't rely on back or side lighting.
Every pixel produces its own light.