After market Radio upgrade

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
gerinemo
New
Drives: Polo 9n3

After market Radio upgrade

Post by gerinemo »

Polo radio upgrade Well folks Here is my radio upgrade in the polo 9n3 the RCN210 Chinese version USB /SD /Aux in and bluetooth Supports 32 gig sD card Also upgraded the speakers big improvement on sound although I think that may be more to the speakers than the radio [attachment=0]Polo radio upgrade.jpg
Attachments
Polo radio upgrade.jpg
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: After market Radio upgrade

Post by alexperkins »

Welcome

Dont see many people do the RCN210, but its a pretty good unit and has that nice OE look and feel - good shout.
gerinemo
New

Post by gerinemo »

Yeah wanted something original looking and it fitted the bill perfectly as a 50 something year old did not want anything too christmas tree looking or too complicated.
cheers
Orel
New
Drives: 9n3

Post by Orel »

gerinemo wrote:
Polo radio upgrade Well folks Here is my radio upgrade in the polo 9n3 the RCN210 Chinese version USB /SD /Aux in and bluetooth Supports 32 gig sD card Also upgraded the speakers big improvement on sound although I think that may be more to the speakers than the radio [attachment=0]Polo radio upgrade.jpg
Can you guide me how to install it? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gerinemo
New

Post by gerinemo »

All the info you need is in the post I replied to here
viewtopic.php?t=71905

it really is a good radio
Sounds great
More than happy with it

best of luck
LeonSymnz
New
Drives: 9n3

Post by LeonSymnz »

gerinemo wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:55 pm All the info you need is in the post I replied to here
viewtopic.php?t=71905

it really is a good radio
Sounds great
More than happy with it

best of luck
It's worth putting a video up imo.

It's not overly complicated once you've done it.
BaggyBoy
New
Drives: Polo 9n4

Post by BaggyBoy »

Hi just bought my first car. Lovely polo 08 reg.

I have just bought the RCN210 stereo because I would like to be able to listen to music through my iPhone.

Please could you help me install I have absolutely no idea what I am doing!

Here's the link to what I bought.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Radio-st ... 4640177097

A few users saying they have difficulty with the Bluetooth / Power. They have suggested buying an adapter... the product I bought says it comes with an emulator is this what they are talking about?

Someone said they had to wire 12v from the cigarette lighter?

I was hoping it would be a simple switch with the stock stereo but worried I've got myself something I won't be able to install! I rang a local stereo fitting shop but they said they wouldn't fit it because it it's a branded product (pioneer, sony etc).

Please help! Imagine you are explaining to your grandma or a small child because I am totally lost reading the other posts haha

alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

So the RCN210 is an older style ISO plug, and your 08 polo has a quad lock connector

No major beef however it will require some electrical knowledge to fit as you'll need to fit an adapter, but then you can have issues around the illumination

The easy option is to pick up one of these https://www.ebay.de/itm/164015062790 as this solves the issue plug and play

The alternative is to pick up one of these -https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-CD-RADIO- ... Swsddeg1hl

Red wire has to go to an ignition live, orange to an illumination live. You can pick up both of these from one of the dash switches above the radio - as above though, you'll need some know how for this route
BaggyBoy
New

Post by BaggyBoy »

many thanks!

https://www.halfords.com/technology/car ... 81915.html

What about this? Be easy for me to pick it up from Halfords. I think I'd be okay but how do I identify the ignition live & illumination live? Sorry if I sound like a complete noob!

If I buy the first link you sent, I don't need to do anything difficult - just plugs in and works straight away?
BaggyBoy
New

Post by BaggyBoy »

many thanks!

https://www.halfords.com/technology/car ... 81915.html

What about this? Be easy for me to pick it up from Halfords. I think I'd be okay but how do I identify the ignition live & illumination live? Sorry if I sound like a complete noob!

If I buy the first link you sent, I don't need to do anything difficult - just plugs in and works straight away?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Yup thats the same harness, you just wouldn't use the aerial bit

You'd need a multimeter, then you'd need to splice the cables. How comfortable are you with car electrics?

The first link should be plug and play
BaggyBoy
New

Post by BaggyBoy »

Thanks - I think I will just go for the plug-in and play option. But will ring up a couple of auto electricians tomorrow to see if they could fit with the harness. It's not the cost more just having to wait for it to be shipped from China.

I know nothing about car electronics I'm just a man who likes his tunes ya know!
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Totally get you. A decent auto electrician will be able to do it with the harness no trouble
Hann_MK
New
Drives: VW Polo (9n3) 2008

Post by Hann_MK »

HI guys, just bought an Alpine CDE-W235bt headunit which is hopefully coming with a fascia plate and ISO cables. I am completely new at setting headhunts up and need as much help as I can get regarding what wires go where and also I read somewhere that the Alpine needs to be "spliced" into the cigarette lighter to know when to turn off and on. I have no idea about any off this except I have ordered the keys to remove the existing RCD-200 from my VW POLO (9n3) 2008 car. Is there anyone who can help me?
gerinemo
New

Post by gerinemo »

Hann_MK wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:29 pm HI guys, just bought an Alpine CDE-W235bt headunit which is hopefully coming with a fascia plate and ISO cables. I am completely new at setting headhunts up and need as much help as I can get regarding what wires go where and also I read somewhere that the Alpine needs to be "spliced" into the cigarette lighter to know when to turn off and on. I have no idea about any off this except I have ordered the keys to remove the existing RCD-200 from my VW POLO (9n3) 2008 car. Is there anyone who can help me?
Well this thread is just over 2 years old now and the radio is still working fine :-)

First thing that springs to mind is that the VW radio has a quadlock adapter

You say the Alpine is coming with an ISO cable prob something like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alpine-Car-S ... %3A2334524

So you are going to need the ISO to Quadlock adapter and a fakra aerial adapter also
Splicing the cable is straight forward enough I tapped in to the cigarette lighter as It had a 12v switched live and the illumination feed also
Once the radio was out it was a simple enough drop the cables down through the cavity