Radio / infotainment screen replacement advice

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Jakeswheelbarrow
New
Drives: Uk mk6 2018

Radio / infotainment screen replacement advice

Post by Jakeswheelbarrow »

Afternoon all,

My car (2018 polo) was frustratingly broken into the other night. And some scumbag has tried to steal the infotainment screen. They failed to do so, however have managed to shatter the glass.

My insurance excess is £650 but replacement screens on eBay are £200.

Would the screen require recoding? Or as it’s not the main computer is it plug and play.

Secondly, is the screen hard to remove? As in does it have any anti theft fittings? (Ironic I know due to failed theft).

Any help would be gratefully received
Attachments
D028D4EC-4243-49A9-8563-ACDFA0B6DA3A.jpeg
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Radio / infotainment screen replacement advice

Post by monkeyhanger »

I'd double check that there aren't any other damaged trim pieces (even just minor tool marks) and tot the cost of those up too before deciding not to make it an insurance job. I'd ask your local dealership to price up the whole job, separating labour and parts costs. Is your daspd set ok, or have they scratched that up in getting it out?

Some idiot probably thought that the screen was the front of one complete unit - any crack-heads actively thieving in your locality? It does look the work of someone who's not had a clue what they were getting into.

Glass broken to gain entry rather than dinging up a door? Did the alarm go off?

I'd doubt the screen is coded up, or spares would be harder to get through non-retaoler channels.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jakeswheelbarrow
New
Drives: Uk mk6 2018

Post by Jakeswheelbarrow »

Thanks for replying. Fortunately all the trim seems fine. Looks like it was just pulled straight off. All the clips seem fine too. Yes the cracks in the screen originate from the bottom where they must have used a screwdriver to try to pry it off :oops:

Just weighing up the price / practicality of going through insurance or doing myself.
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

Annoys the crap out of me that people cannot leave other people's stuff alone.
The other evening I was sent cctv footage of two guys in this area trying to get into a car parked in its driveway.
Martin-GTi
New
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI+

Post by Martin-GTi »

I’d do exactly as monkeyhanger suggests and speak to the retailer and gather all the information and costs you can on repairs / replacements. Then work out whether it’s worth the insurance claim or not.

It’s so frustrating that entitled idiots think they can steal other people’s hard earned property. Some years ago I had my car broken into & stereo stolen - then a month later, my motorcycle was stolen. That was when I lived in a supposedly low crime area of London (there were such things once).
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

We had some scummers come into our street in two stolen cars, decamp and scatter like rats trying car and house doors a few months back.
I heard them though, it's a very quiet street, I shouted at them in my best football voice, scared them off and then set after them in my car.
What was quite funny was the neighbours heard the commotion a bit later than me, woke to see my car shooting off at a rate of knots, thought it was MY car that was being stolen and set off after me. :D
They got caught but, as per usual, we heard nothing after that to say what punishment they got.
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

Our local paper today is running a story from over the weekend about a group of men trying to steal a Golf R despite the homeowner having cctv. Eventually they resorted to breaking in and trying to find the keys but had to leave due to activating the house alarm. After putting this on social media it turns out that there has been a over a dozen such incidents in the last week in the same area but plod has not bothered to tell people that we have an active gang operating in our neighbourhood.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

CCTV is a waste of time, all but the most stupid ones wear facemasks/hoodies and unmarked clothing.
Certainly the scrotes that tried our street were all dressed in an identical manner that would have made a description to the police frustratingly vague.
And even if you catch the reg of the vehicle they're using on camera, it's probably stolen or cloned anyway.
The police advised us THE best option is noise, they hate noise.
Your report says it all, that they only gave up when the house alarm went off - the CCTV was no deterrent at all.
Cadwest
Bronze Member

Post by Cadwest »

Yep I agree Andy cctv is a waste of time if it only records the theft, in this day and age pretty useless. I have a ring doorbell that has a motion sensor as well as records plus two way communication, but the main thing is it sends an alert to my phone that there is movement on the drive. They have no way of deactivating the thing without triggering it, I can swear at them while the miss’s phones plod who may or may not respond.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Cadwest wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:38 am Yep I agree Andy cctv is a waste of time if it only records the theft, in this day and age pretty useless. I have a ring doorbell that has a motion sensor as well as records plus two way communication, but the main thing is it sends an alert to my phone that there is movement on the drive. They have no way of deactivating the thing without triggering it, I can swear at them while the miss’s phones plod who may or may not respond.
Yeah, I quite like the idea of being able to tell them to 'EFF OFF' remotely. :)
Unfortunately our driveway is quite short, the rear of the cars are basically touching distance to anyone walking past and there's no gates etc.
So I fear I'd get too many false alarms from people legitimately walking past.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Aren't those ring doorbell just effectively advertising that you aren't in when you're shouting at them remotely? They know you're aware and are probably about to call the Police, but they may figure that they have at least 5 mins before the Police respond, if they respond rather than ringing you back a day later so you can get a crime number for insurance purposes.

The country's car theft blackspot appears to be Coventry/Birmingham judging by the amount of car thefts reported on the forums.

My Great Uncle Bob used to have 4 car batteries connected to his garage door handle when he went on holiday. He got prosecuted when a burglar had singed hands from an attempt on his house 12 years ago. He was given a 6 months suspended sentence. The burglar got 3 months in prison and a good kicking from my cousins when he got out.
Cadwest
Bronze Member

Post by Cadwest »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:01 pm Aren't those ring doorbell just effectively advertising that you aren't in when you're shouting at them remotely? They know you're aware and are probably about to call the Police, but they may figure that they have at least 5 mins before the Police respond, if they respond rather than ringing you back a day later so you can get a crime number for insurance purposes.

The country's car theft blackspot appears to be Coventry/Birmingham judging by the amount of car thefts reported on the forums.

My Great Uncle Bob used to have 4 car batteries connected to his garage door handle when he went on holiday. He got prosecuted when a burglar had singed hands from an attempt on his house 12 years ago. He was given a 6 months suspended sentence. The burglar got 3 months in prison and a good kicking from my cousins when he got out.
Nope you can use them from the comfort of your armchair, especially useful when the religious nut jobs are on the doorstep. I thought about buying an air pistol but my brother who has a firearms license advised against this and said my jail sentence would be longer than the thief’s.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

I have a very large Torque wrench beside the front door.
I keep meaning to put it back into the garage.....tut....silly me.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

That sucks. :(

I'm surprised that it's even worth anyone's while to steal an infotainment screen. :shock:

I can't offer any further advice other than get a quote from the dealers first which has already been said.

The picture makes me wonder where the Passenger airbag is located? :?:
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Airbag is in the top of the dash, isn't it?
The word airbag is on the dash just down from the side window vent and it's directly under the word.