App Connect / Apple Car Play

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Freddynewbert
New
Drives: 2015 1.2tsi

Re: App Connect / Apple Car Play

Post by Freddynewbert »

Would you know if it is possible to do in a 2015 model?
PlymouthArgyle
New
Drives: 1.8 GTI

Post by PlymouthArgyle »

Freddynewbert wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:15 am Would you know if it is possible to do in a 2015 model?
Hi mate,

I went into my local VW with my Polo GTI 16 plate and was told I would need a completely different unit and it wasn’t as simple as adding a code. Maybe not be the case for yourself though, worth a try asking.
Freddynewbert
New
Drives: 2015 1.2tsi

Post by Freddynewbert »

Thanks mate will do,

Got lots of thing to ask them!

Thank you for your help
massimo23
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo Beats 2017

Post by massimo23 »

Here are some photos of CarPlay which I use a lot. Google maps, Apple maps, Waze, Sygic Gps, WhatsApp Calls, Apple Messages & Calls, internet radio, Apple Music, Spotify, Napster, etc.
Carplay1.jpg
CarPlay2.jpg
I bought a 3d printed iPhone holder with usb connection that fits in the polo cup holder as seen in the photo, very handy.
Anyone interested the link is: http://shpws.me/PoON
Carplay3.jpg
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Freddynewbert wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:15 am Would you know if it is possible to do in a 2015 model?
App connect became an option with 2016 model year (MY) cars and production of 2016 MY cars would have started around build week 22 in 2015. If the first owner of a car didn’t spec App Connect as a factory option it was a bit of a lottery whether or not the infotainment unit in a particular 2016 MY car is App Connect compatible, as it seems VW continued to use up old infotainment units that were not App Connect compatible into early 2016, as well as fitting compatible units in some cars.

If you go into the Menu on your infotainment unit and see an App Connect icon that’s good news, as it suggests there’s a good chance it can be enabled in your car;
3DFB351A-D99B-4A81-B6F9-8494AC3A3B73.jpeg
By pressing the icon on the screen you’ll get the message ‘You can activate this function by means of an activation key. Please contact your dealer’.

Lots of information on App Connect and part numbers of which infotainment units should be App Connect compatible in the thread at the link below. You can find details of the part number of your infotainment unit at the following location from the ‘Menu’ button at the side of the infotainment screen; Menu button -> Set up -> System Information.

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=67691