Clutch Dragging

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Casbantam
Getting There!
Drives: 1.2 TSI Match

Clutch Dragging

Post by Casbantam »

I've been having issues with selecting gears easily. It's not all the time but regularly it is difficult to shift the gearknob into gear.
This is particularly worse in 1st gear. Even when the engine is warmed up fully you could pull up at a set off lights and wait in neutral. Then when it's time to go it gets stuck half way and won't go in. I then need to move the gearkob into 2nd or 3rd then back to 1st. This is usually ok then but sometimes the last little but is quite stiff to fully be in 1st. It can also be quite stiff from 3rd to 4th but totally random.
I've only had the car a couple of months but it has always felt quite notchy and wooly to change gear but more so over the last couple of weeks.
VW assist came out today and although it behaved itself in the short test drive he said the clutch was dragging slightly and needed to be booked into a garage for further inspection. He did say though that this could cause the symptoms of hard to engage gears.

It's booked in tomorrow but was just wondering if anyone had any experience of this and what I might expect to happen?

It is a 2016 1.2 TSI 7700 miles only and owned for 10 weeks. All replies are most welcome cheers.
blackertracker
Bronze Member
Drives: ..

Re: Clutch Dragging

Post by blackertracker »

I had the exact same symptoms with my Golf Mk4. But bear in mind that’s done 160k miles.
I put up with it for a couple of years as it didn’t do it all the time, then got round to changing the gearbox oil which turned out to be low. Gearchange quality is like a new car now.
Also bear in mind the clutch is hydraulic. Changing the brake fluid, then bleeding the clutch cylinder can help.
Casbantam
Getting There!
Drives: 1.2 TSI Match

Post by Casbantam »

Thanks for the reply blacker tracker. Well that's reassuring, hopefully something simple and not expensive to fix would be a good result. Just been reading the consumer rights act to see where I stood if something more serious.
libb22ya
New
Drives: 6C

Post by libb22ya »

[ thanks for your double reply under 'pedals' and 'clutch' ]

Yes, I am two months in now, and don't like the degree of concentration that I have to allow to lift my foot off the accelerator into the void, across some distance, and down again to the brake pedal which is very high ( too high to be reached with my size 8 except for the tips of my toes ). If, say, rear parking, then the reversing speed with no acceleration also takes over another bit of my brain, and is controlled solely by the brake with my heel off the floor. The nearest bit of terra firma is not the floor, but the car seat with the top of your thigh on it. Before your intentions reach the pedal they have to travel through your knee joints and ankle. And all this without a reversing camera.
And yes, just starting forwards ( or back ), if you wish to take off smoothly, then you do have to wait first for the engine to kick in before applying any pressure on the accelerator. Failure to do so when taking off does give the car a jump when gear is engaged.
And this in my case, in an automatic.

I've just been admiring the pedal arrangement elsewhere on the forum - about 1/3 of the way down on
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=69554&p=518756&hil ... gh#p518756
libb22ya
New
Drives: 6C

Post by libb22ya »

This bit of research doesn't answer all the problems with pedals,
https://tigerprints.clemson.edu/cgi/vie ... sertations
it just tells us we have problems - p24 onwards

when two pedals were coplanar with each other, the foot movement time was significantly less than that when the brake pedal was above the accelerator pedal.

But read on, if you have tme, and the more you will become depressed by reading about yourself - Try it.