Dangerous driving

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Re: Dangerous driving

Post by Leif »

Adam_013 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:25 pm
Leif wrote:
monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:56 pm

The GPSs main purpose on a dashcam is to know where you are, not the speed you are doing (some indicate the prevailing road speed for your location). I have turned off my GPS output stamp on the recorded video files.
Yes of course. I’ll have a fiddle with mine, and see if i can edit the video to remove the driving details.
I dare say a video editing program could crop that section out if required.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I dare say it could, the question is which. Free ones are poopy in my experience.

Sent from my computer using fingers.
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

I would say movie maker, but don't think it's available anymore...

'Sent from the moon by an ailen'
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

This is why I don't have a camera.
Hypocritical to criticise the driving of others when mine might not be perfect.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

I think a dash cam is a good thing, I have the GPS on all the time, there are so many "cash for crash people" out there, it's good to prove your innocent in a crash, and as for the GPS showing the speed your doing, if your keep to the speed limits, you've nothing to worry about, I've been driving for 54 years and not once had a speeding fine, but now I've said that :roll: . Not to say I've had a couple of accidents in that time, and a dash cam would have come in handy.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:58 pm I think a dash cam is a good thing, I have the GPS on all the time, there are so many "cash for crash people" out there, it's good to prove your innocent in a crash, and as for the GPS showing the speed your doing, if your keep to the speed limits, you've nothing to worry about, I've been driving for 54 years and not once had a speeding fine, but now I've said that :roll: . Not to say I've had a couple of accidents in that time, and a dash cam would have come in handy.
My paranoia levels haven't reached Daily Mail level, so I don't feel the need for one yet.
Maybe when I'm older and more distrustful of the general world.
By then they'll be available as part of the car rather than some added on lump that needs wire dangling or trim pulled apart.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:57 am This is why I don't have a camera.
Hypocritical to criticise the driving of others when mine might not be perfect.
Nonsense. Reporting someone for a minor transgression is not on for the reason you give, but it’s fine for blatantly dangerous driving eg overtaking on a blind bend. How would you feel if a close relative died through no fault of their own due to one of these muppets?

Sent from the loo by an Earthling
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

silverhairs wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:58 pm I think a dash cam is a good thing, I have the GPS on all the time, there are so many "cash for crash people" out there, it's good to prove your innocent in a crash, and as for the GPS showing the speed your doing, if your keep to the speed limits, you've nothing to worry about, I've been driving for 54 years and not once had a speeding fine, but now I've said that :roll: . Not to say I've had a couple of accidents in that time, and a dash cam would have come in handy.
My camera helped me keep my NCB when reversed into.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Leif wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:35 pm How would you feel if a close relative died through no fault of their own due to one of these muppets?
Gutted, how else would you expect me to respond to this?
What a strange question. :?
But the police have been successfully prosecuting for years without cameras you know.
Yes, their job is maybe sometimes easier with cameras, but far from impossible.
Last edited by Andy Beats on Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

I wouldn't bother reporting it, plod are more likely to proseceute the OP cos it's easier + too much bother to investigate + kindly supplied 'proof' = guarranteed fine (£££s) for the treasury, even though the OP despite speeding, didn't cause any danger to another road user. As I was taught at a racing school once "the incedent (someone being an idiot) happened, you can't change it, provided no-one crashed or was forced off the track, just bear it in mind for possible future avoidance manouvers and immediatley move on"....
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

stevereeves wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:43 pm I wouldn't bother reporting it, plod are more likely to proseceute the OP cos it's easier + too much bother to investigate + kindly supplied 'proof' = guarranteed fine (£££s) for the treasury, even though the OP despite speeding, didn't cause any danger to another road user. As I was taught at a racing school once "the incedent (someone being an idiot) happened, you can't change it, provided no-one crashed or was forced off the track, just bear it in mind for possible future avoidance manouvers and immediatley move on"....
Yeah my belief is they would do me as I’m the easy target. My normal driving style is defensive which of course means assuming other drivers are muppets, and taking measures to avoid problems.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:41 pm
Leif wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:35 pm How would you feel if a close relative died through no fault of their own due to one of these muppets?
Gutted, how else would you expect me to respond to this?
What a strange question. :?
But the police have been successfully prosecuting for years without cameras you know.
Yes, their job is maybe sometimes easier with cameras, but far from impossible.
So if you see someone prowling around a neighbour’s house, you don’t worry because the police have been successfully prosecuting for years.

In fact spending on road policing is falling hence the reliance on automated systems such as speed cameras. The fact that the police encourage reporting of dangerous driving might tell you something, and suggest that your argument is balls.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

I have seen a few reports of cyclists shopping drivers that the cyclist considers were too close as the car drove past, using headcam footage.
Now I usually try to leave a safe margin of about 1-1.5 mtrs as I pass cyclists. if the flow of traffic then slows down dramatically (by then I am usually behind a car or truck, invariably the cyclist will come from behind and squeeze through the less then small gap when it suites them, usually to nip through the red lights that slowed the traffic he is under passing. I bet he don't use that headcam footage to shop himself.

I have the same issue with drivers that break the law in what they consider a petty way then shop others for breaking a driving law and look to seek advice on editing the dash cam footage, removing their own offence and then still shop the other driver. I have no issue with anyone who feels so strongly about the dangerous driving of others who submit their recording in full and allow the police to do their job properly. but editing a dash cam? is that not interfering with evidence? a criminal offence? seriously. I actually think I would elect to attend court and make the IJUT with the dash cam attend to face me.

Consider this, your driving along on a single carriageway behind a driver who is doing say 30MPH in a 50MPH limit country road, its clear in the oncoming lane so you elect to pass and increase your speed to 50, the other driver speeds up, you increase to 60 "to get past this fool" they increase. you are now on their dash cam 180 degree, there is now a car coming towards you in the distance and the car that was behind you (also frustrated at doing 30MPH) is still behind you in the overtake manoeuvre, do you speed up to 75 to finally get past or slow down risking a rear end ? the driver on the inside of you is breaking the law doing 65 in a 50 zone, you have just been lured into driving dangerously. the driver with the dash cam who has caused this edits his footage to remove his offence and in a furious rage of righteous indignation forwards the edited footage to the police. who is wrong here?. Can of worms in MHO. dash cams great for proving your at fault or not at fault in a crash or recording someone damaging your car whilst its parked.

IMHO should not be accepted by police as evidence of a driving offence. good idea to use these to help build a picture on a wider investigation, but not turning us into a police state shopping each other.

Just my view.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

mike sel wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:48 am Consider this, your driving along on a single carriageway behind a driver who is doing say 30MPH in a 50MPH limit country road, its clear in the oncoming lane so you elect to pass and increase your speed to 50, the other driver speeds up, you increase to 60 "to get past this fool" they increase. you are now on their dash cam 180 degree, there is now a car coming towards you in the distance and the car that was behind you (also frustrated at doing 30MPH) is still behind you in the overtake manoeuvre, do you speed up to 75 to finally get past or slow down risking a rear end ? the driver on the inside of you is breaking the law doing 65 in a 50 zone, you have just been lured into driving dangerously. the driver with the dash cam who has caused this edits his footage to remove his offence and in a furious rage of righteous indignation forwards the edited footage to the police. who is wrong here?. Can of worms in MHO. dash cams great for proving your at fault or not at fault in a crash or recording someone damaging your car whilst its parked.

IMHO should not be accepted by police as evidence of a driving offence. good idea to use these to help build a picture on a wider investigation, but not turning us into a police state shopping each other.
I've been in the situation where I overtake and the other car speeds up to match my speed. It took me ages to realise what was going on by which point I was too near a bend. I opted to slow down and pull back in. I could have killed someone, and felt dreadful afterwards as I had a lot of responsibility for what happened, but it was the first time I'd ever come across such a dangerous fool. I'm now alert to such idiots and take care to avoid ever getting into such a situation again.

Frankly your case does not match what happened with my overtake described in the OP. I recently had the situation where someone pulled out from a side road forcing me to do an emergency stop. I had it on video but would not have dreamt of sending it in. It was a stupid mistake by a sleepy driver. Would a prosecution for driving without due care and attention achieve anything? I doubt it. She probably felt bad and will be more careful in future. And as you say, we don't live in a police state. However, overtaking on a solid white line near the brow of a hill and nearly hitting a motorbike is a completely different order of stupidity. As to the suggestion that I encouraged this dangerous overtake (which might be implied in your post quoted above), nope.

As an aside, I recently had a lift in a colleague's car. I was terrified. I've never been so frightened before, I was clutching the sides of the seat, and on the verge of screaming. He has a high end BMW and he was driving too fast and with no margin or error. A colleague describes him as driving like a "20 year old t**t" even though he is nearly 50.

This isn't aimed at you, not at all, but some people blame their bad driving on others. They say "I was forced to overtake by the slow driver". In reality they chose to overtake.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Leif wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:09 pm So if you see someone prowling around a neighbour’s house, you don’t worry because the police have been successfully prosecuting for years.
In fact spending on road policing is falling hence the reliance on automated systems such as speed cameras. The fact that the police encourage reporting of dangerous driving might tell you something, and suggest that your argument is balls.
Ok dokee, report it.

"Yes I was also breaking the law at the time, but his breaking the law is worse than my breaking the law"

Honestly, this is the hypocrisy and holier-than-thou attitude that means I won't be joining camera-club any time soon. :roll:
Last edited by Andy Beats on Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Leif wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:18 am As an aside, I recently had a lift in a colleague's car. I was terrified. I've never been so frightened before, I was clutching the sides of the seat, and on the verge of screaming. He has a high end BMW and he was driving too fast and with no margin or error.
In your opinion.
Fact is people have different driving skill levels.
He might be a t**t, then again he might be perfectly in control and your brain just isn't used to the speed.
I dare say I'd have been crapping it sitting next to Colin McRae, doesn't mean he's out of control. :D
My mother thinks I drive like a nutter even when I think I'm taking it easy, we just all have different levels of comfort when it comes to speed.