Upgrading car door speakers help

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
CaptainRedex
New
Drives: 1.2 2002 9n

Upgrading car door speakers help

Post by CaptainRedex »

Hi guys! I'm not very tech savvy with audio equipment, I have 6 new speakers for my Polo, 4 door speakers and 2 6x9's.

Wondering if anyone would know if I would NEED an amp to power all this or will my pioneer stereo power this fine

(I know an amp would improve the set up massively but just wondering if it would work without an amp and not cause damage to my car)

Thanks guys!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

danijel9161
New
Drives: Polo 9n 2002.

Re: Upgrading car door speakers help

Post by danijel9161 »

You need amp for adittional 2 speakers.

Poslano sa mog SNE-LX1 koristeći Tapatalk

vlad.tudose
New

Re: Upgrading car door speakers help

Post by vlad.tudose »

Stock stereo only has 4 outputs as far as I know, one for each door speaker. In my 9n the rear door speakers were fake, had to custom fit ones myself. Also upgraded stereo to a pioneer double din with bt and that allowed for my fly subwoofer in the boot. That with soundproofed tailgate and door panels makes for a decent sound system.

As for 6x9s speakers, if your stereo allows it I don't see why you coudlnt hook em straight up. You'd have to take it out and have a look what outputs it has. If it only has the 4 for the door speakers, something which could work is connection in parallel with 2 of the other speakers (probably rear) so that they feed off the same line.

Your stereo not being able to handle should only mean that you might not be able to power them properly so they won't get awfully loud. This is because of the extra current needed to power them.

You've gotta think that stereos are essentially amplifiers. Or they contain them. They usually have a rating for the speakers they can power successfully, in watts. If you're trying to power 6x9s which have a higher rating, they won't be powered optimally like the door speakers which are smaller, therefore won't sound as good as if u use an amp.