Replacing Diamond Cuts.

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
PlymouthArgyle
New
Drives: 1.8 GTI

Replacing Diamond Cuts.

Post by PlymouthArgyle »

Afternoon guys,

I’m looking to replace my Diamond Cut Alloys on my Polo GTI.
I’ve been looking at BBS but cannot find something that I think would go great with the black.

Not having a lot of information on brands. Is there any others recommended?

Thanks!

Edit: I orginally posted about refurbing the alloys I have at the moment but the more I think about it, i’d rather swap them out and put them away until I resell or possibly just sell them as they are.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Replacing Diamond Cuts.

Post by SRGTD »

I don’t like diamond cut alloys, so changed mine for a set of anthracite grey VW Motorsport alloys (7j x 17” ET46);
C7BFF8A5-5DC8-4B5F-A948-27FEA5A86CCC.jpeg
I kept my diamond cut alloys and they’ll go back on the car when the time comes to eventually sell it.

If you were considering BBS alloys, did you look at BBS SR’s? (7.5j x 17” ET37). I think that a set of these in Satin Hymalaya Grey would look good on a black Polo GTI and IMO they look quite OEM - much easier to clean than the standard Parabolica alloys on the Polo GTI too as the design is much less fussy;
A2ED7072-6892-437E-9CA8-DED09445FA27.jpeg
When I eventually change my car (probably a new Polo GTI+, sometime within the next couple of years), if VW don’t offer a non-diamond cut wheel option at that time, I’ll probably get a set of BBS SR’s.
PlymouthArgyle
New

Post by PlymouthArgyle »

Thanks for the reply SRGTD.
I remember from last time I asked that you mentioned the VW Motorsport Alloys, I even favourited them on VW website & just never pulled the trigger.

When I was looking at BBS they kept popping up. I wasn’t sure of how the grey would go with everything else & the only other option I could see are the Grey Polished. I do like them, was just unsure of being against the black.
They would definitelty look smart against the blue you have though!
allroadusa
New
Drives: Polo GTI 6C

Post by allroadusa »

I had to follow the same path for my 2017 GTI. It has been delivered (used) with 8 tyres but only 4 rims (SERRON). After intensive search, I finally ordered Grey Motorsport because of SRGTD (thank you !) for the winter set. I found them to be a good compromise between salt resistance and sporty look for a GTI.
Should be delivered next week.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

PlymouthArgyle wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:24 pm Thanks for the reply SRGTD.
I remember from last time I asked that you mentioned the VW Motorsport Alloys, I even favourited them on VW website & just never pulled the trigger.

When I was looking at BBS they kept popping up. I wasn’t sure of how the grey would go with everything else & the only other option I could see are the Grey Polished. I do like them, was just unsure of being against the black.
They would definitelty look smart against the blue you have though!
The grey polished BBS SR’s are diamond cut - I would personally avoid them as they’re diamond cut, and also any wheels described as ‘machined’ or having a machined finish as they will also be diamond cut.

Not a Polo, but here’s a black (or grey? - difficult to tell from the photo) Golf GTI with BBS SR alloys in Satin Hymalaya Grey which will give you an idea of the contrast in colour between black / dark grey paintwork and satin grey wheels;

https://m.facebook.com/islandwheelandty ... 86/?type=3

If you do an internet search black cars with BBS SR alloys, you’ll see other examples of black cars with these wheels fitted.
PlymouthArgyle
New

Post by PlymouthArgyle »

Thanks for your help. I’m going to put a order in soon.
On Rimstyle.co.uk, they offer Tyre Pressure Monitoring Sensors, would you recommend adding them or are they not needed?
loveVw
New
Drives: 2017 Polo GTI

Post by loveVw »

Hi Not a bad idea to put them away for when you sell the vehicle, in terms of refurbishment a set of four fully refurbished including the diamond cut shouldn't cost much more than £300. If you do put them away also consider taking the tyres off as they do age and may not be acceptable to the buyer when you come to sell.

regards Alan.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

PlymouthArgyle wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:48 pm Thanks for your help. I’m going to put a order in soon.
On Rimstyle.co.uk, they offer Tyre Pressure Monitoring Sensors, would you recommend adding them or are they not needed?
The Polo uses an indirect TPM system that monitors wheel rotation speed via the ABS wheel speed sensors. Therefore, no need to add specific Tyre Pressure Monitoring Sensors.
Peter N
Getting There!
Drives: 2017 VW Polo Blue GT 1,4 TSI DSG7

Post by Peter N »

I am a big fan of OZ Racing wheels.
This is the second set of OZ’s on the Polo.

7.5x17 ET35 Leggera HLT
Lightweight and strong
Attachments
B6B5D456-75EF-4E82-ABE8-84CA41F32E41.jpeg
69875D8B-1EAC-48E2-AFE4-A98E7FA0523B.jpeg
B0DCA33E-3B0D-4125-BBE0-540CD9C12D8E.jpeg
PlymouthArgyle
New

Post by PlymouthArgyle »

Hi again all,

I mostly browse the forums and read others posts as i’m not that knowledgeable myself, I won’t lie!
Firstly, thanks to everyone who replies with great information and help, it’s really appreciated.

Secondly,

I’ve been umming and ahhing over alloys for a long time, in fact I did a post last year about wheels before. I’ve decided to get my diamond cuts refurbed and painted a gloss black all over and lacquered. My GTI is black so i’m not sure if it will look right. Any suggestions?
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

PlymouthArgyle wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:56 pm Hi again all,

I mostly browse the forums and read others posts as i’m not that knowledgeable myself, I won’t lie!
Firstly, thanks to everyone who replies with great information and help, it’s really appreciated.

Secondly,

I’ve been umming and ahhing over alloys for a long time, in fact I did a post last year about wheels before. I’ve decided to get my diamond cuts refurbed and painted a gloss black all over and lacquered. My GTI is black so i’m not sure if it will look right. Any suggestions?
It’s probably worth doing a few internet searches to see if you can find pictures of black Polo GTI’s with gloss black alloys to give you an idea of what it’ll look like. If you can’t find any pictures, then suggest you search for non-GTI Polos or Golf GTi’s with gloss black alloys. There is a chance that the combination of black wheels / black car might be a bit too much black.

I’m personally not a big fan of black wheels (I’m not a fan of diamond cut alloys either 😁). IMO, from a cleaning and maintenance point of view, black alloys are a bit like a black car; they only ever really look clean just after they’ve been washed, and they’ll show swirl marks. Even on dry roads, after a few miles driving the brake dust build up will be visible and they’ll start to look a dull-ish, brown-ish colour. Also, IMO, with black alloys, a lot of the detail of the wheel’s design is lost, unless you’re looking at them close up. Just my opinion though and we all like different things, which is a good thing, otherwise life would be boring.

My preference would be to get them powder coated in anthracite grey, gunmetal or smoked chrome. I dare say that some wheel refurbishing places will have photoshop type software and will be able to show you what your car + wheels would look like with the wheels powder coated in a selection of colour choices. Alternatively, there may be a forum member who could photoshop a picture of a black Polo GTI with the Parabolica alloys in black, or any other colour you’d like to see.
PlymouthArgyle
New

Post by PlymouthArgyle »

Just an update. I went for black and i’m really happy with the result.
Thanks for the help.
Attachments
DD1DFA26-7E68-4D65-BADD-4C8A8BD473CB.jpeg
8CB77A97-0A39-4618-9BE5-608DCB06B499.jpeg
A4016888-B4F8-4B6D-B842-C6D780D95D82.jpeg