Thinking of remapping my Polo.

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Nikolai001
New
Drives: Polo Mk6 2017

Thinking of remapping my Polo.

Post by Nikolai001 »

I'm thinking of remapping my 2018 Polo
It's a 1.0 TSI 95 BHP
According to EliteRemaps the engine with a stage 1 remap will produce 130BHP and will have 240NM of torque
Do you think the stock clutch will handle the increase in power or do i have to modify some things to get the best out of the remap?
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Thinking of remapping my Polo.

Post by monkeyhanger »

Nikolai001 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:04 am I'm thinking of remapping my 2018 Polo
It's a 1.0 TSI 95 BHP
According to EliteRemaps the engine with a stage 1 remap will produce 130BHP and will have 240NM of torque
Do you think the stock clutch will handle the increase in power or do i have to modify some things to get the best out of the remap?
Given VW's recent history of putting weak clutches in the performance manuals (Golf GTI and Golf R - my unmodified R's clutch slipped a few times), the likelihood of the standard clutch in your 95ps Polo being up to the job of handling 32% more power and a lot more torque, coupled with the high gearing that the Polo has, I'd seriously doubt it.

You could wait and see if (more like when) you cook your clutch. If you do, you'll have overheated your flywheel too (you'll see blueing on the flywheel) , needing to replace both clutch and flywheel.

If you replace the clutch before you remap, you won't damage your flywheel - a lot cheaper overall.

If you do remap, your drive train warranty is toast, and there are insurance considerations to make too.

You may well find your car's intercooler not up to the job with the higher output (Burgersports noticed this for the Polo GTI, advising not to increase output to more than 245ps - a mere 22.5% increase in output vs your proposed 38% increase).
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

Nikolai001 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:04 am I'm thinking of remapping my 2018 Polo
It's a 1.0 TSI 95 BHP
I've recently had the same map applied to my car and it seems to be coping fine. No signs of clutch slippage or anything similar. I can certainly say it makes a huge difference. MPG is obviously effected when you put your boot down, but driven nicely returns the same as before.

As said above your drive line warranty will be toast, but don't be a yobo and nothing should fail.
fazzy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi++/TT/TDi/190E

Post by fazzy »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:50 am

You may well find your car's intercooler not up to the job with the higher output (Burgersports noticed this for the Polo GTI, advising not to increase output to more than 245ps - a mere 22.5% increase in output vs your proposed 38% increase).
As far as I know, Burgersports doesn't do a remap. Instead they use a box which has also other limitations, not just the intercooler.

Although the car in question in this topic is not the GTi, I contacted some tuners regarding the GTi and received a few replies, all of which come down to one thing:

"Good Morning,
The new Polo Gti uses a Bosch MG1 ECU, which currently remains untuneable.
We cannot put a timeline on this, we have been working on these ECU’s for over 2 years now.
Thank you
Kind Regards"

This reply is dated 11/04/2019
So I guess, we'll have to wait until the Italians break the codes and then the rest of the tuners will be able to modify these ECU's :)
Nikolai001
New
Drives: Polo Mk6 2017

Post by Nikolai001 »

Adam_013 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:36 am
It's a 1.0 TSI 95 BHP
I've recently had the same map applied to my car and it seems to be coping fine. No signs of clutch slippage or anything similar. I can certainly say it makes a huge difference. MPG is obviously effected when you put your boot down, but driven nicely returns the same as before.

As said above your drive line warranty will be toast, but don't be a yobo and nothing should fail.
how does it perform?
I would like to see it work :)
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

fazzy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:37 am As far as I know, Burgersports doesn't do a remap. Instead they use a box which has also other limitations, not just the intercooler.

Although the car in question in this topic is not the GTi, I contacted some tuners regarding the GTi and received a few replies, all of which come down to one thing:

"Good Morning,
The new Polo Gti uses a Bosch MG1 ECU, which currently remains untuneable.
We cannot put a timeline on this, we have been working on these ECU’s for over 2 years now.
Thank you
Kind Regards"

This reply is dated 11/04/2019
So I guess, we'll have to wait until the Italians break the codes and then the rest of the tuners will be able to modify these ECU's :)
I thought the Bosch MG1 ECU had been cracked as I've seen a number of posts about certain BMW model cars being able to be tuned over the OBD port that uses the MG1 ECU? Take it that the crack on the BMW platform is not transferable to VAG platform?
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

If you wanted more power, why did you purchase the "1.0 TSI 95 BHP in the first place?

Just asking?
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:59 pm If you wanted more power, why did you purchase the "1.0 TSI 95 BHP in the first place?

Just asking?
In my case, the 95bhp was in stock ready to go and it was the cheapest PCP option.
You think 95bhp in a small car should be fine, and it bloody-well should be, but VW cripple it with stupid gearing.
You don't appreciate how much the gearing cripples the performance until you've driven it a good while.
People like to change stuff on their car, is that so bad?
You've changed the bulbs in your car, why didn't you specify LED lights...same argument :wink:
R15KXK
Getting There!
Drives: Polo Beats 1.0 tsi 95

Post by R15KXK »

I am not sure about the cost of remapping the polo. I am looking to eventually get a TDI Tuning box, because it's gives similar stats, with an easy plug and play way of using it, it's also so easy to removed but literally just unplugging, and if you ever get a new car they can reprogrammed for the new car with a charge
There are other companies out there but the TDI seemed good to me, can be controlled via smartphone app as well. Could be an option if you wanted.

https://tdi-tuning.com/car/volkswagen/p ... g-box-chip
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

I'll be going with a plug-in box as well, not a map.
Only because maps involve going somewhere to have it done, if Superchips did a DIY OBD Bluefin for the car I'd consider it.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

R15KXK wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:57 am I am not sure about the cost of remapping the polo. I am looking to eventually get a TDI Tuning box, because it's gives similar stats, with an easy plug and play way of using it, it's also so easy to removed but literally just unplugging, and if you ever get a new car they can reprogrammed for the new car with a charge
There are other companies out there but the TDI seemed good to me, can be controlled via smartphone app as well. Could be an option if you wanted.

I'm not anti tuning boxes, I had one for s Golf GTD and it transformed the car - although the GTD clutch seems well over engineered when compared to the clutch in the Golf GTI and R.

My first tuning box was from TDI-Tuning and the car ran like a bag of hammers. Crudely overfuelled with a very nonlinear generation of power, dpf regens every trip 10% fewer mpg. It was awful, and I sent the box back after they adjusted it down to the point it was ineffective. 6 months later I tried a DTUK box and the difference was night and day - lots of power and torque, linearly delivered, mpg unaffected, dpf regens down by a factor of 3.

If you are going to get a box, don't get a TDI-Tuning box.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

DTUK do seem very well respected.
R15KXK
Getting There!

Post by R15KXK »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:52 pm
R15KXK wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:57 am I am not sure about the cost of remapping the polo. I am looking to eventually get a TDI Tuning box, because it's gives similar stats, with an easy plug and play way of using it, it's also so easy to removed but literally just unplugging, and if you ever get a new car they can reprogrammed for the new car with a charge

I'm not anti tuning boxes, I had one for s Golf GTD and it transformed the car - although the GTD clutch seems well over engineered when compared to the clutch in the Golf GTI and R.

My first tuning box was from TDI-Tuning and the car ran like a bag of hammers. Crudely overfuelled with a very nonlinear generation of power, dpf regens every trip 10% fewer mpg. It was awful, and I sent the box back after they adjusted it down to the point it was ineffective. 6 months later I tried a DTUK box and the difference was night and day - lots of power and torque, linearly delivered, mpg unaffected, dpf regens down by a factor of 3.

Oh wow, I am glad you've told me this pal. Will look into DTUK box then cheers for the info
*EDIT*
Just contacted them the customer service seems great, and the prices are pretty much the same if anything cheaper with their current discount code
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

R15KXK wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:38 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:52 pm

Oh wow, I am glad you've told me this pal. Will look into DTUK box then cheers for the info
*EDIT*
Just contacted them the customer service seems great, and the prices are pretty much the same if anything cheaper with their current discount code
They do a discount code for most of the car forums, which may exceed the one on their general website. Worth asking what their car forum discount rate is and tell them you're a member of this one.

If you're local(ish) to Durham, Andy there will probably let you try before you buy. For my GTD, it pulled in 6th like it used to in 4th once I had the box on.
R15KXK
Getting There!

Post by R15KXK »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:18 pm
R15KXK wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:38 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:52 pm I'm not anti tuning boxes, I had one for s Golf GTD and it transformed the car - although the GTD clutch seems well over engineered when compared to the clutch in the Golf GTI and R.

*EDIT*
They do a discount code for most of the car forums, which may exceed the one on their general website. Worth asking what their car forum discount rate is and tell them you're a member of this one.

If you're local(ish) to Durham, Andy there will probably let you try before you buy. For my GTD, it pulled in 6th like it used to in 4th once I had the box on.
I did actually ask them when they told me they are in Durham, but i'm in London and it's a bit of a trek haha