South Africa VW easter holidays

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

South Africa VW easter holidays

Post by Steve_2019 »

Does any one know if The VW plant in South Africa closes for 2 weeks for easter like in the UK.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: South Africa VW easter holidays

Post by RUM4MO »

I'd doubt if many foreign manufacturing plants will be stopping for a couple weeks at Easter, the only reason that there will be timed stoppages will be for model changes including essential maintenance - and doing that for a few days over the Easter period might make sense - normally large manufacturing plants need to keep going even if that means down scaling output and manning levels and paying a premium for staff working - but from personal experience, there are only a maximum of 3 days in the year that attract premium payments and that is Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day - Easter is basically a time for the crappy chocolate eggs industry to sell its wares nothing else.
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Post by Steve_2019 »

RUM4MO with VW struggling too keep up with order books at the moment with the Polo your probably right.

Bit selfish of me but I hope they are producing cars as normal. But Africa been a manly Christian country they may close up for good Friday.
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

The might be closed on Good Friday and Monday Family Day. that's it. business as normal.

i wish we had 2 weeks holiday here in South Africa like in the UK.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

green justin wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:18 pm The might be closed on Good Friday and Monday Family Day. that's it. business as normal.

i wish we had 2 weeks holiday here in South Africa like in the UK.
There must be reasons other than it being Easter for this.
The UK really isn't that religious a country at all.
So if the UK factory closes for two weeks. I'd imagine the reason was that the staff would have been off for two days of that two weeks anyway.
The rest must be machine cleaning/maintenance.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I think in the UK and many other countries big national/international businesses and any others that only exist if they show profit, float all holidays except the 3 days that attract huge bonus payments, so it is up to individuals and/or their line managers to agree on when anyone takes holidays - leave booking holidays too late in the holiday/business year and you stand a real chance of losing them or taking them at times that do not suit you - ie "use them or lose them".

There are disadvantages with that system as in the dark past different areas of UK and Europe had fixed different holiday periods for most people and so typical holiday destinations could provide holiday slots for each sequential geographical area and so everyone had their own holiday, which must have suited holiday makers and holiday providers better than "feasts and famines".