Engine conversion

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
LawrenceDGraham
Getting There!
Drives: VW Polo GTI 2016

Engine conversion

Post by LawrenceDGraham »

Right so I have a spare broken engine out my polo GTI which seems fixable think it needs a set of rods and pistons and the bores need a good skim.

So I have an ugly love hate relationship with a car that isn't like at all but was .y first car that got me into modifying cars and breaking cars Haha. So here she is
20190509_173400.jpg
I know I know it's not German but I'm wanting too put my spare engine inside this little rust bucket and was wanting too know any big problems I'm gonna a face so I can repair myself for any big problems have all the polos engine mounts and harness and ECU so was thinking just need a gearbox and paddle box and a dash and that's it really for the big things. Not wanting too tune it up at all just a stock engine cause the car is like 700kg so would be crazy was thinking might need shafts and hubs as already have the shockers and springs. Thoughts?
Cause not sure on how hard these ECU are too get started with out the factory keys and barrel any ideas?
20190429_194518.jpg
20190429_194522.jpg
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Engine conversion

Post by SRGTD »

I’m not technically minded and have quite a lot of admiration for anyone who has the knowledge to consider being able to take on something like this. As well as the issues you’ve flagged up in your post, from someone without the technical knowledge, some additional issues I foresee are;
  • presumably, the Ka’s engine bay is smaller than the Polo’s, so there could be lots of bodywork modification required (some of it structural?) to get the GTI’s engine block, ancillary equipment and running gear to physically fit in the Ka. The front edge of the Ka’s bonnet looks as if it also sits lower than on the Polo, so possible clearance issues between the underside of the bonnet and top of the engine block, and it might not be possible to close the bonnet.
  • as well as upgrading the suspension, the brakes would also need to be upgraded to something equivalent to the Polo GTI. That could mean larger wheels might be needed to fit over the the larger discs and calipers. Would larger wheels fit under a Ka’s wheel arches without further bodywork modification being necessary?
  • it might be necessary to get some one-off custom parts made if neither the VW nor the Ford parts would work / fit.
  • would any insurer cover such a highly modified car? If so, would the premium be affordable? Might be worth making enquiries with your existing insurer (and other insurers) before you consider starting on this project.
Hats off to you for considering taking on something like this, but I think there’s a risk that this project could become a money pit, and you might end up with something that can’t legally be used on the road.
LawrenceDGraham
Getting There!
Drives: VW Polo GTI 2016

Re: Engine conversion

Post by LawrenceDGraham »

SRGTD wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 7:20 am I’m not technically minded and have quite a lot of admiration for anyone who has the knowledge to consider being able to take on something like this. As well as the issues you’ve flagged up in your post, from someone without the technical knowledge, some additional issues I foresee are;
  • presumably, the Ka’s engine bay is smaller than the Polo’s, so there could be lots of bodywork modification required (some of it structural?) to get the GTI’s engine block, ancillary equipment and running gear to physically fit in the Ka. The front edge of the Ka’s bonnet looks as if it also sits lower than on the Polo, so possible clearance issues between the underside of the bonnet and top of the engine block, and it might not be possible to close the bonnet.
  • as well as upgrading the suspension, the brakes would also need to be upgraded to something equivalent to the Polo GTI. That could mean larger wheels might be needed to fit over the the larger discs and calipers. Would larger wheels fit under a Ka’s wheel arches without further bodywork modification being necessary?
  • it might be necessary to get some one-off custom parts made if neither the VW nor the Ford parts would work / fit.
  • would any insurer cover such a highly modified car? If so, would the premium be affordable? Might be worth making enquiries with your existing insurer (and other insurers) before you consider starting on this project.
Hats off to you for considering taking on something like this, but I think there’s a risk that this project could become a money pit, and you might end up with something that can’t legally be used on the road.
It was more of a one off project for track use a d car shows didn't really plan on using it on the road as it would be a death trap on wheels body panels like bumper a d bonnet can always stay off or get heavily cut too fit was thinking of running the polos front suspension set up and brake was just gonna run normal polo brake not the GTI ones until it's up and running properly then stopping it will be on the cards hahs was gonna remove aircon and really if I want too be a dick about space I could just cut and weld totally new panels in the KA. The main worry was ECU a d wiring problems as it's a VW but along as I have an harness I could just cut and make longer if needs be.