New GTI + delivery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by monkeyhanger »

So, in washing the new care to be sure that the blemishes seen on the bodywork were bug splatters, tar spots and hard wax drips presumably snotted from the bodywork cavities, I found an assembly error:

The interior lip of the upper window frame rubber has not been tucked in properly. I'm assuming it was an assembly error at the factory which hasn't been picked up at PDI. I've tucked it back over, but there are 2 creases in the rubber from the 2 ends that weren't tucked which probably won't disappear fully and the rubber length isn't fitting as snugly as expected.

There's a small squarish patch of metal bodywork towards the front of the door frame that is unpainted, but would have been covered by the rubber if it had been properly seated. I'm presuming this is a holding point for the door to be painted on a frame before being hung on the car, but gave asked the question of the supplying dealership.

See pics before and after tucking in.

Not sure if this us a normal warranty claim at a local dealership to fix if the 2 kinks don't straighten out, or perhaps VW alleviate themselves of responsibility because it wasn't picked up at PDI.

After

Before

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Initial comparisons of my pre-WLTP Polo GTI+ to the new one:

No menu options look to be missing on the new one, but some are harder to find because VW have changed the names. No new settings avaikable on the new GTI+

Engine sounds about the same, despite the GPF, although DSG farts are no longer there, and I find them subtle on the pre-WLTP variant anyway - you can't hear them without the windows down on my red GTI+.

I do (slightly) prefer the deep iron inserts due to their depth of shine - look a lot like the Audi S-line grey exterior paint (monsoon grey?). Not a bold colour choice, just better finished.

I do prefer the Flash Red exterior paint on our older GTI+ to Pure white, although pure white is my next favourite available colour.

Mpg was comparatively poor on the new one, driving home from Costco after putting the PS4s on, with relatively uncluttered roads vs the commute home at the usual time - 28mpg vs an expected 35mpg in the red one. Hopefully that's all due to running in as opposed to an economy cost of having that GPF.

There is an infotainment set up screen for pairing your phone and setting up your presets - not present on our older GTI+.

The boot is far easier to close on the new one, at can almost close itself on it's own weight from the half shut position.- lending credence that something is wrong with the set up of the red one, chipping the paint of the tailgate bottom edge under closure.

Other than that, they're identical.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:48 pm Other than that, they're identical.
...and the two additions USB charging points for the rear seat passengers on the rear of the centre armrest. :P

Interesting review monkey, I’ve been looking forward to your comparison between the ‘18 and ‘19 GTI+

The window rubber issue was a bit poor. Have to admit I had a few fit and trim issues that were all sorted out under warranty. I trust it will be readily sorted if you bring it to VWs attention. :?
gonk1959
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 Gti polo

Post by gonk1959 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:13 pm
Robint wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:50 am My GTI plus came with standard mats no red piping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You should have red stitching, not red piping. If you didn't get red stitching then you've been diddled. My new today white one has red stitched mats, as does my pre-wltp red one. Prefer rubber mats - they look newer for longer and don't wear out at the heel of your right foot.
Monkeyhanger
Thats good to know. Yes I meant to say red stitching. My current Polo GTI did come red red stitched mats so I will be keeping my eye on that when it arrives.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Are the door sills illuminated as previously mentioned in the brochure for the 2019 model?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

johnpolo2 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:15 am Are the door sills illuminated as previously mentioned in the brochure for the 2019 model?

I didn't drive it in the dark yesterday ti know for sure (in case lighting function was linked to the light sensor for headlights - doubt it would be that sophisticated in control), but on the Golf's sills you could see the translucent bit the light shone through and I can't see it here, So I'd say no. They are not lighting up in ambient light with the door open.
gonk1959
Bronze Member

Post by gonk1959 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:27 am
johnpolo2 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:15 am Are the door sills illuminated as previously mentioned in the brochure for the 2019 model?

I didn't drive it in the dark yesterday ti know for sure (in case lighting function was linked to the light sensor for headlights - doubt it would be that sophisticated in control), but on the Golf's sills you could see the translucent bit the light shone through and I can't see it here, So I'd say no. They are not lighting up in ambient light with the door open.
Guys
Mine was built week 11 (march11th) would it be a 2019 model? It was ordered March 2018 so that time would be 2018 spec.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

gonk1959 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:26 am

Guys
Mine was built week 11 (march11th) would it be a 2019 model? It was ordered March 2018 so that time would be 2018 spec.
Yours would definitely be a 2019 model year car. Normally, VW incorporate the next year’s model year changes from build week 22, with further small ‘tweaks’ to a model range spec (if VW choose to make any) being made from build week 45. This means that anyone who currently has a new car on order, if it’s built during or after build week 22, it’ll be a 2020 model year car.

Last year, WLTP threw VW’s normal build year change schedule into disarray and 2019 model year changes weren’t factored into production until towards the end of 2018. But if your car was built in March, it’ll definitely be a 2019 model year car.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:23 pm So, in washing the new care to be sure that the blemishes seen on the bodywork were bug splatters, tar spots and hard wax drips presumably snotted from the bodywork cavities, I found an assembly error:

The interior lip of the upper window frame rubber has not been tucked in properly. I'm assuming it was an assembly error at the factory which hasn't been picked up at PDI. I've tucked it back over, but there are 2 creases in the rubber from the 2 ends that weren't tucked which probably won't disappear fully and the rubber length isn't fitting as snugly as expected.

There's a small squarish patch of metal bodywork towards the front of the door frame that is unpainted, but would have been covered by the rubber if it had been properly seated. I'm presuming this is a holding point for the door to be painted on a frame before being hung on the car, but gave asked the question of the supplying dealership.

See pics before and after tucking in.

Not sure if this us a normal warranty claim at a local dealership to fix if the 2 kinks don't straighten out, or perhaps VW alleviate themselves of responsibility because it wasn't picked up at PDI.
Monkeyhanger, if the paint spraying process for the Polo is the same as it is for the Golf (presumably it’s the same for all VW’s built on the MQB platform) then the doors are attached to the car body shell prior to going through the degreasing / galvanising process and they remain attached to the body shell for the paint spraying process, rather than being detached, placed on a supporting frame away from the body shell and painted separately. You can see this in from around 4min 30sec to 5min 30sec in the YouTube video at the link below;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kim-5VI3d0c

Maybe when the door apertures are painted before the exterior of the car is painted, a robotic arm holds the door open while the door openings and hidden areas (A pillar, hinge area etc) are painted and the contact point between the robot arm and door doesn’t get painted in some cases? If so, then there’s a chance that other forum members’ cars will have a similar unpainted area under the window frame rubber. Maybe some other forum members could check.

The doors are removed from the car body after painting for the interior to be fitted to the car, and they’re then re-attached, but it seems unlikely that an area of paint would be damaged/removed as part of this process.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ I'll check it out on our red one when it comes back from Lookers following them looking at the tailgate issue and hopefully fixing it and rectifying the paintwork.

If it's a hanger/opener grab point voiding paint spray there, then it'll be in the same place on the red one's door.

I'd just expect the door to be frame held somewhere around an internal cut out that'll get hidden behind the door card rather than externally grabbed, even if it is covered by the rubber seal.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

The keyless on the new one seems less flaky - it has worked every time as intended. On the Red one it is very hit or miss (more unlocking than locking).
gonk1959
Bronze Member

Post by gonk1959 »

SRGTD wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:12 am
gonk1959 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:26 am

Guys
Yours would definitely be a 2019 model year car. Normally, VW incorporate the next year’s model year changes from build week 22, with further small ‘tweaks’ to a model range spec (if VW choose to make any) being made from build week 45. This means that anyone who currently has a new car on order, if it’s built during or after build week 22, it’ll be a 2020 model year car.

Last year, WLTP threw VW’s normal build year change schedule into disarray and 2019 model year changes weren’t factored into production until towards the end of 2018. But if your car was built in March, it’ll definitely be a 2019 model year car.
Many thanks SRGTD :D
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

The UK Configurator still mentions "Scuff plates in door apertures (illuminated)" under Standard Equipment, but I have seen no evidence that they are illuminated so I believe this is an error.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

I was surprised to read that the scuff plates were illuminated for the 2019 model.
It's those little touches that add to the car but VW always hold back with Polo GTI.

SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

johnpolo2 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:13 pm I was surprised to read that the scuff plates were illuminated for the 2019 model.
It's those little touches that add to the car but VW always hold back with Polo GTI.

Elsewhere the sill plates for the GTI+ are described as;
  • Door sill protectors in stainless steel with ‘GTI’ logo (page 12 of price list)
So no reference to them being illuminated. If the configurator says they’re illuminated, it’s another example of inconsistencies between different VW information sources.

I’d go with them not being illuminated. It wouldn’t bother me if they weren’t, as it’s one less thing to fail. The previous generation Ford Fiesta ST had illuminated sill protectors (not sure about the current model) and lots of owners experienced the illumination failing.