What MPG are owners getting in the real world?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: What MPG are owners getting in the real world?

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:33 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:16 pm Maybe it has one of those new electric driven rather than blown turbos?
I wasn't even aware such a thing existed, but indeed they do.
Either fully electric driven or hybrid.
Would have liked one of these on my Alpina, the turbo lag on that was terrible.....
EDIT and a wee bit more investigation reveals it is indeed a hybrid turbo.
I was a little mistaken, not having driven the Red Polo for a few days. It is actually reading 1.00 bar at rest vs the white WLTP compliant one reading about 0.30 bar at rest. I had to get the bus to the local dealership to pick the red one up.
Dreamscape
New
Drives: 6AW

Post by Dreamscape »

I hit 4500 km mark with my 1.0 TSI 95 PS manual and so far:

On a highway: 120 km/h (75 mph) 4,8-4,9 l/ 100 km (48-49 MPG)
Some lesser intercity roads: 90 km/h (56 mph) 4,0-4,2 l/ 100km (56-59 MPG)
heavy traffic: 9-10 l/ 100 km (23-26 MPG)

Overall, consumption is awesome as long as I avoid heavy traffic. By heavy I mean some nasty jams and traffic lights, my usual route to work is 7 miles and it sometimes takes as long as 40-45 minutes. I hoped for better figures, it's as much as my 2006 Polo 9n3. I try to engine break as much as possible, I stay focused so I can engine break sooner, I upshift early. When I get lucky and hit a "green wave" through the city I'm able to get the consumption as low as 7,0 l/ 100 km (33 MPG), but that's rare.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

The ru to York and back seems to have loosened up the engine a little - got almost 35mpg out of the new (white) GTI+ today. The red one would have just beat it, given the easy flow of traffic this morning, but there's not a lot in it between the 2.

Engine management reining in the power and the downshifts on the new one to a noticeable degree (it's done about 350 miles).
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Being my first petrol in decades, I'm shocked at how much MPG varies depending on driving.
This just doesn't happen with diesels.
Obviously they use more if you welly them, but I haven't found the huge swing there is with the petrol.
I've had the Polo as high as just under 50mpg, but I've also had it under 30mpg when driven hard - it displayed 27mpg when I thrashed it the other night. :shock:
That's a massive swing.
Even driven extremely hard, much harder than I do my Polo, my diesel Juke gave 42mpg.
My diesel Mini Cooper was equally frugal when driven hard.
It's honestly quite a shock to me how much petrol the Polo can gulp..... :cry:
I've never consistently driven a car so gently just to keep MPG decent.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Those diesels won't have been working as hard as often. No one is doing a tiny 1.0 3cyl diesel right now (although VW used to have a 1.4 3 cylinder diesel).

Diesels burn their fuel hotter - you thrash it and it warms up quicker. Diesel is much more efficient because the expansion coefficient of the fuel and air forced into the cylinders is so much higher over the operating temp.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:33 pm Those diesels won't have been working as hard as often. No one is doing a tiny 1.0 3cyl diesel right now (although VW used to have a 1.4 3 cylinder diesel).

Diesels burn their fuel hotter - you thrash it and it warms up quicker. Diesel is much more efficient because the expansion coefficient of the fuel and air forced into the cylinders is so much higher over the operating temp.
Even thrashing the diesels like a ginger-haired stepchild, they were lucky to reach full temperature during my commute.
The Polo, in comparison, reaches operating temp very quickly even when driven gently.
That was one of the reasons I went for petrol this time, my short commute meant diesels just weren't reaching full operating temp, no matter how driven.
It's still mind-boggling, to me, that a 1.0 petrol can sink as low as 27mpg even driven hard. :?
It must be throwing neat petrol out of the exhaust, it's spectacular levels of inefficiency.
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:38 pm Literally no idea how you're achieving this.
I can only get mid to low 40s cruising at 70mph.
My tyre pressures are spot on, my boot is completely empty etc.
Andy my current 1.8tsi DSG Leon will do mid 40's+ at a steady 70mph, your Polo really can't be right! :shock:
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Griff74 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:19 pm Andy my current 1.8tsi DSG Leon will do mid 40's+ at a steady 70mph, your Polo really can't be right! :shock:
There's plenty of others on here getting what I'm getting though, it doesn't appear 'that' unusual.
No-one's reported 27mpg, yet, but they maybe don't fully welly it like I do sometimes. :D
I can only assume those getting ultra-high MPG on motorways live somewhere flat, whereas our M-ways can be quite hilly.
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:34 pm I can only assume those getting ultra-high MPG on motorways live somewhere flat, whereas our M-ways can be quite hilly.
That is actually a very good point, esp as you used to have diesels which tend to not be that affected by lots of hills on motorways (from my experience of having had a few), esp my old Mazda 3 with it's 2.0td engine, it didn't matter if it was empty or fully loaded, on the flat or hilly, it always gave around the same mpg at 70mph and only started to drop off over 80mph (in Germany on the Autobahns of course :wink: ) Small turbo petrol engines are affected by such things.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Griff74 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:59 pm That is actually a very good point, esp as you used to have diesels which tend to not be that affected by lots of hills on motorways (from my experience of having had a few), esp my old Mazda 3 with it's 2.0td engine, it didn't matter if it was empty or fully loaded, on the flat or hilly, it always gave around the same mpg at 70mph and only started to drop off over 80mph (in Germany on the Autobahns of course :wink: ) Small turbo petrol engines are affected by such things.
Hills really do hammer the wee engine, it will often need a change down from 5th to 4th to maintain the speed.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Low on power and low on torque - makes you work an engine hard. If you've got an engine that's having to put out more than a third of its theoretical max output most of the time then it's not going to be efficient. The Polo is a heavy lump for its size - only 40kg like-for-like lighter than the equivalent engined Golf.

Petrols warm up quickly and are less affected by cold running because the run cooler than diesels, by quite a margin. Ave cylinder air temp in a diesel is optimum at about 800C. In a petrol it's about half that, chucking excess heat out of the exhaust.
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

The 1.0 TSI seems to be much more affected by hills than the 1.2 TSI I had before.

I would certainly worry about driving the 85PS version of the 1.0 TSI in the base model Golf!
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

vc-10 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:00 am The 1.0 TSI seems to be much more affected by hills than the 1.2 TSI I had before.

I would certainly worry about driving the 85PS version of the 1.0 TSI in the base model Golf!
The 1.0tsi power and torque would be fine if it wasn't for the high gearing.
That's what kills it up hills.
95bhp and 175NM should be plenty, but they've effectively lumbered it with lead boots.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

33mpg going to work (quite congested) today and 37mpg coming home just now (no congestion) before getting the metro to Newcastle airport. That's in the White GTI+ with about 350 miles on the clock. That's on par with the well run in red one we've had since August on 6700 miles.

Pretty pleased with that.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Doing a 200 mile trip to London tomorrow. First time properly taking the GTI on the motorway for an extended period of time.

My current work commute (12.5 miles) I'm averaging between 35-38mpg. Can I expect this to be higher for my journey tomorrow?

Car is approaching 500 miles so hopefully this won't effect the 'break in' period too much. Would it be best to leave the car in Eco?