GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by johnpolo2 »

Yes it's a real mile muncher I'm finding and covers ground brilliantly. Great acceleration with the extra torque.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Nora
Bronze Member
Drives: A polo

Post by Nora »

Are there any alternative front rubber mats available other than the genuine VW offering??? (Part # 2g206150282v)
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Nora wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:15 pm Are there any alternative front rubber mats available other than the genuine VW offering??? (Part # 2g206150282v)
What did you have in mind? The genuine VW rubber mats are good - I’ve had them in my last three VW’s and they’re good quality and hard wearing (had my last car nearly five years and the rubber mats still looked like new with no signs of wear). They just need a quick wipe over to make them look like new again. VW don’t make GTI-specific rubber mats, if that’s what you’re after.

Carmats4u.com have tailored rubber mats for the Polo, that can be customised with a different colour edge. So you can get rubber mats with a red edging. Link;

https://www.carmats4u.com/volkswagen-po ... wards.html
Nora
Bronze Member

Post by Nora »

I hadn’t got anything specific in mind, but with the monsoon weather we’ve been having the front mats that came with the car are taking a beating and I’d like to preserve them as much as possible. The cheapest I’ve found the OEM front mats is £35 and I was looking around to see what other offerings are available
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Nora wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:15 am I hadn’t got anything specific in mind, but with the monsoon weather we’ve been having the front mats that came with the car are taking a beating and I’d like to preserve them as much as possible. The cheapest I’ve found the OEM front mats is £35 and I was looking around to see what other offerings are available
You're not baulking at £35 when you spent a small fortune on other things for your Polo are you?

It's not much of a saving, but if your local TPS deals with the public (some only deal with the trade), you'll get 8% off the dealership prices.

The VW nats are far more hard wearing than 3rd party offerings - my 4 year old Golf rubber mats still had plenty of life in them when I got rid of it.

First thing I do when I get a new VW is get the carpet mats out and put rubbers in.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 am First thing I do when I get a new VW is get the carpet mats out and put rubbers in.
Me too.

I don’t find VW’s OEM carpet mats to be particularly good quality and the driver’s mat can show signs of wear after just a few months. On the other hand I find VW’s rubber mats to be very good and much more durable and practical too in poor weather, when all sorts of wet dirt and debris can get carried into the car on your shoes. Some don’t like the ‘utilitarian’ look of rubber mats, but IMO if they’re given a wipe over when cleaning the car, they look fine.

@Nora - if cost is your concern, you could always buy a cheap set of universal rubber mats from somewhere like Halfords. They’ll be a poor fit, and are likely to slide about on the floor, whereas the VW mats will be a perfect fit and have the same press studs as the carpet mats to hold them securely in place. They also have a lip around the edge to keep any dampness and debris in place on the mat.

I’d definitely recommend them and IMO they’re worth the price.
New-gti-guy
New
Drives: 1.6

Post by New-gti-guy »

Hi everyone.. just made a little discovery regarding traction control in my polo.
If i press the traction control button it turns it off.. but if i press it an hold it for about 5sec it says ESC sport mode: directional stability restricted, the sport option is also available amongst the settings in the media screen.

Anyone has any info about how the sport mode differs from the full OFF mode ??
Nora
Bronze Member

Post by Nora »

Re: mats
It wasn’t about price more so the quality and durability which I was looking for which you’ve pointed out the aftermarket ones arn’t as good, so I’ve gone for a pair of OEM front mats at £34.99 delivered.
On a separate note, I’ve just spoken to the tyre guys at Costco about fitting a tyre to my new spare rim, and he suggested to wait till W/c the 24th before buying as it seems they’re going to run another promotion on the P4’s
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

New-gti-guy wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:13 pm Hi everyone.. just made a little discovery regarding traction control in my polo.
If i press the traction control button it turns it off.. but if i press it an hold it for about 5sec it says ESC sport mode: directional stability restricted, the sport option is also available amongst the settings in the media screen.

Anyone has any info about how the sport mode differs from the full OFF mode ??
Unless on a race track please leave traction control enabled :)
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Nora wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:45 pm Re: mats
It wasn’t about price more so the quality and durability which I was looking for which you’ve pointed out the aftermarket ones arn’t as good, so I’ve gone for a pair of OEM front mats at £34.99 delivered.
On a separate note, I’ve just spoken to the tyre guys at Costco about fitting a tyre to my new spare rim, and he suggested to wait till W/c the 24th before buying as it seems they’re going to run another promotion on the P4’s
If you're only buying one tyre, not worth waiting as the promotions apply for buying 2 or 4 tyres, not 1. You'll save nowt.
Nora
Bronze Member

Post by Nora »

I’m now looking at a set of 5 tyres so any discount will be welcome
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Nora wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:46 pm I’m now looking at a set of 5 tyres so any discount will be welcome
Costco will discount 2 or 4 tyres, but not the 5th.

If they have the same discounts they had a month ago, you'll be looking at about £315 fitted for 4, and about another £98 for the 5th. They don't do "buy at least 2 and get x off every one.

If you're putting 225s on, they will look up your car reg, realise 215 are standard fit and refuse to get your car in unless you are bringing the wheels in off the car (as I had to).- they have a strict set of rules they adhere to and won't deviate from, even though they are 7.5J wheels and 225 is a perfectly legitimate tyre width for that wheel size (and suits the Golf GTI with 225 standard fit on a 7.5J wheel).
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

It has been highlighted before, I do find the stop start in traffic slightly annoying at times.
My previous GTI was DSG and I could bring it to a stop gently without the stop start kicking in, hold the car with the engine running, then move off. This new model is far more sensitive and has a propensity to kick in and before the car has come to a complete stop.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

I've got a few issues\queries with mine already, I've already mentioned the wheel arch liner touching a tyre (which the dealer have "fixed" for now while they order a new liner), I also have a very odd buzzing\warbling noise coming from the front, it does not change with road surfaces, seems to get louder with speed and stops when touching the brakes even very lightly, also the car (including the steering wheel) starts to vibrate slightly at 60+mph (at 70 if the sun visors are down they shake a LOT), I will be taking it back in to the dealers tomorrow on my day off as it is concerning me

And one for people who have had their GTi's a while (I'm looking at you especially Monkeyhanger!) the engine cooling fan is on a lot on my car, I've noticed the engine gets up to temp very fast (twice as fast as my Leon did) which is good, but the fan is pretty much always on when I stop the car, even this morning driving to work at 7am with it 10c, only 3 miles of gentle driving (oil temp was only at 60c when I switched off), is this normal?

I hope they sort its issues fast cos it is a lovely car, I really enjoy driving it but not impressed with the build\quality control so far!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Griff74 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:25 am I've got a few issues\queries with mine already, I've already mentioned the wheel arch liner touching a tyre (which the dealer have "fixed" for now while they order a new liner), I also have a very odd buzzing\warbling noise coming from the front, it does not change with road surfaces, seems to get louder with speed and stops when touching the brakes even very lightly, also the car (including the steering wheel) starts to vibrate slightly at 60+mph (at 70 if the sun visors are down they shake a LOT), I will be taking it back in to the dealers tomorrow on my day off as it is concerning me

And one for people who have had their GTi's a while (I'm looking at you especially Monkeyhanger!) the engine cooling fan is on a lot on my car, I've noticed the engine gets up to temp very fast (twice as fast as my Leon did) which is good, but the fan is pretty much always on when I stop the car, even this morning driving to work at 7am with it 10c, only 3 miles of gentle driving (oil temp was only at 60c when I switched off), is this normal?

I hope they sort its issues fast cos it is a lovely car, I really enjoy driving it but not impressed with the build\quality control so far!
Car vibration above a certain speed, especially felt through steering wheel definitely sounds like a unbalanced wheel to be (maybe a balancing weight fell off a wheel). That buzzing/warbling sound seems like it might be a dodgy Soundaktor. Put the car in Eco mode or individual mode with engine noise set low and see if it lessens/disappears.

As for the fans at the end of your very short commute - in either of my GTI+, I just get a tiny amount of noise under the bonnet - quiet whirring and a few beeps as oil or water continue to be circulated around the turbo to cool it down after you stop.

If you have your fans blaring at the end of your journey, I'd suspect that your GPF is trying to force a regen.

I haven't heard of it happening in a petrol unit yet with GPF, but given you only have a 3 mile commute, not enough to completely warm the car (2 miles to get the water up to 90C, another 2 miles to get the oil temp to 90C), it sounds a hell of a lot like a diesel's active DPF regen has been cut short by reaching your destination.

The car realises its particulate filter is getting full of soot and if you're not generating enough prolonged heat to burn it off passively, the car starts taking measures to increase exhaust heat quickly, igniting fuel in the exhaust system and running rich. If you interrupt that cycle by finishing your journey, the car has got to cool everything dow and the radiator fans will be blaring away until everything cools.

Our newer.GTI+ (with GPF) does not do this, but it typically does a 12 mile journey.