iOS 13 Carplay

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
AshleyScrivens
New

iOS 13 Carplay

Post by AshleyScrivens »

Hi,

Apple announced that Carplay gets upgraded in soon to be released iOS 13 and one feature that looks interesting is the support for HUD and 2nd displays. Meaning Volkswagen could enable the cockpit to show things like navigations directions or even a full map on the instrument cluster.

Thing is are volkswagen really known for updating car software on current models or will they roll the feature out to just new models do with think?

https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-13-preview/features/

"Second video stream support
Automakers can develop CarPlay systems that show information in a second screen, such as in a cluster or HUD."
RyanH
New
Drives: Polo GTI+

Re: iOS 13 Carplay

Post by RyanH »

I can't be certain how it work's on the Active Info Display but on my current Polo 6C with CarPlay, the multifunction display between the dials just says 'CarPlay' when you scroll to either the phone or music tab. I was hoping that this meant with iOS 13 this would now be able to display info from here without any update from VW but this isn't the case. I have the iOS 13 beta and it is still the same.

A friend of mine has a Golf R 7.5 with AID and has had a few coding bits done to it. He asked the people doing it if it was possible to make CarPlay work properly there but they said it was reliant on an update from Apple. Not sure how true this is. If I manage to try iOS 13 on his AID I will let you know how I get on.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

VW wont update the software to support the feature because they want you to pay extra for their own NAV device (MIB unit.)
The current VW NAV MIB can only display either in AID or on the MIB but not both, thats only due when the face lift releases imho.
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

I'd settle for apple play displaying album art 'up front'.
It's annoying to see the album art is there, but very blurred in the background behind the track name.
Matt88
New
Drives: 2018 R-Line

Post by Matt88 »

RyanH wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:43 pm I can't be certain how it work's on the Active Info Display but on my current Polo 6C with CarPlay, the multifunction display between the dials just says 'CarPlay' when you scroll to either the phone or music tab. I was hoping that this meant with iOS 13 this would now be able to display info from here without any update from VW but this isn't the case. I have the iOS 13 beta and it is still the same.

A friend of mine has a Golf R 7.5 with AID and has had a few coding bits done to it. He asked the people doing it if it was possible to make CarPlay work properly there but they said it was reliant on an update from Apple. Not sure how true this is. If I manage to try iOS 13 on his AID I will let you know how I get on.
Would you be able to take a picture of how iOS 13 looks on the polo display? All the Images i’ve seen are of cars with bigger, wider displays and I’m interested how it scales on the VW.
RyanH
New

Post by RyanH »

Yeah no problem, I can do that for you. Like I say my current car is a 6c so I think (but may be wrong) that this is a smaller screen than the one on the AW Polo. I’ll try to get some from a Golf when I can try it on there too. I also should get my GTI+ hopefully within the next month so I will post pictures of how it looks on there when I get it.

I managed to try it out today on a new Audi A1 with the virtual cockpit but unfortunately it behaves the same as iOS 12, I’m not hopeful it will be any different on the Polo. I really doubt you will be able to use Waze/Google Maps etc on the AID. Fingers crossed for an update from VW though.
RyanH
New

Post by RyanH »

I took a screenshot yesterday of how the new iOS 13 home screen looks on the 6.5" screen in the Polo 6C. I'm not sure whether the 8" one in the AW will just increase the scale or whether it will have room for more information. When the calendar isn't there the music section lists the song title and artist there too.
IMG_4441.png
CP_Vaughny
New
Drives: R-Line 2019

Post by CP_Vaughny »

Sadly it still just shows at Apple Carplay...
IMG_0797.jpg
IMG_0801.PNG
IMG_0799.PNG