T-Cross

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Aube
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo SEDSG

T-Cross

Post by Aube »

Hi,

Ok not a Polo, but I see the T-Cross as a Polo on steroids, so built one on the VW site and it has an interesting option; Wooden multifunction steering wheel for tiptronic.

Can’t wait to see that😀😀
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: T-Cross

Post by monkeyhanger »

Aube wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:41 pm Hi,

Ok not a Polo, but I see the T-Cross as a Polo on steroids, so built one on the VW site and it has an interesting option; Wooden multifunction steering wheel for tiptronic.

Can’t wait to see that😀😀
Does it come with faux wood panelling on the doors like the Griswolds' car?
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Another sign of the age of VW's target clientele.
Like still having a CD player in my Polo.....what the hell.....?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:20 am Another sign of the age of VW's target clientele.
Like still having a CD player in my Polo.....what the hell.....?
Although less convenient than an SD card filled with MP3s and FLACs in the car, the CD isn't dead yet. The cost of a CD player in the car is tiny, a small price to pay to avoid alienating the minority that don't use anything but CDs.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:07 am Although less convenient than an SD card filled with MP3s and FLACs in the car, the CD isn't dead yet. The cost of a CD player in the car is tiny, a small price to pay to avoid alienating the minority that don't use anything but CDs.
Catering for a minority makes no business sense at all though, does it.
So it suggests VW are 'required' to fit CD players, it's expected.
Which, to me, points towards the average age of their owners.
According to a link I just found online, the average age of VW buyers is 54, with the likes of Seat being 44.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:31 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:07 am Although less convenient than an SD card filled with MP3s and FLACs in the car, the CD isn't dead yet. The cost of a CD player in the car is tiny, a small price to pay to avoid alienating the minority that don't use anything but CDs.
Catering for a minority makes no business sense at all though, does it.
So it suggests VW are 'required' to fit CD players, it's expected.
Which, to me, points towards the average age of their owners.
According to a link I just found online, the average age of VW buyers is 54, with the likes of Seat being 44.
The average age of a Seat buyer being lower than the average age of a VW buyer doesn’t come as a surprise. IMO the Seat brand would be seen by many as a more sporting, value brand than VW, which could explain the younger Seat customer base. Likewise, I dare say that Skoda will have a more mature customer base than Seat.

It would be interesting to know if Seat or Skoda (and Audi for that matter) still fit CD players. It wouldn’t surprise me if they did, bearing in mind many components are shared across brands within the VW/Audi Group.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

SRGTD wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:39 am It would be interesting to know if Seat or Skoda (and Audi for that matter) still fit CD players. It wouldn’t surprise me if they did, bearing in mind many components are shared across brands within the VW/Audi Group.
Think the A1 does.
It's interesting that other manufacturers with an even older clientele (Honda and Toyota) haven't fitted any new cars with CD players since 2016, though.
If their even older drivers are cool without one, why the hell do VAG bother....
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

FWIW I think the T-Cross is quite nice.
Certainly preferable to the Q1, which I think is one of the ugliest cars on the road. :oops:
I'd worry about what engine to use in it though, unless you stay somewhere very flat the 95bhp engine is going to be horrifically slow and poor on fuel.
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

My Ibiza has a CD player. My 2016 Fabia didn't. Can't say I missed it, and nor do I think I will ever use the one in the Ibiza! In the Ibiza, the cars with the basic media system don't get the CD player, while the cars with the system that's equivalent to the Discover nav in the Polo do.
steeve
Bronze Member
Drives: Mk10 GTI+

Post by steeve »

Soon to be a full R version of the T Roc...
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

steeve wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:58 am Soon to be a full R version of the T Roc...
Not sure why you'd buy one over a Golf R. Cheap and nasty interior trim materials (not seen such low grade plastics since the VW Fox), cost as much as a Golf R, slightly smaller interior, almost certainly significantly lower residuals, less refined.

My old Golf R was very quick, but with zero drama, so it was quite dull apart from the engine noise when you wound it up past 4k revs.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:28 pm Not sure why you'd buy one over a Golf R.
Ease of access is the only real reason.
Many people just find normal saloons too low.
The wife complains about 'falling into' my Polo, it's a lot lower than my previous Leaf and Juke.
I do notice my back twinges more since getting it too.
steeve
Bronze Member
Drives: Mk10 GTI+

Post by steeve »

T cross is a Golf based vehicle..... soon to be an R version.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

steeve wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:25 pm T cross is a Golf based vehicle..... soon to be an R version.
I thought the T-Roc was the Golf based SUV and there is to be an R version of the T-Roc.

The T-Cross is smaller than the T-Roc and described by Top Gear (and other websites) as the Polo crossover / Polo based SUV. The engine range in the T-Cross is more aligned to the Polo’s engine line up than the Golf’s too, which suggests this mini SUV is based on the Polo, and not the Golf. (The T-Roc’s engine line up is also more aligned to the Golf).

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/vol ... irst-drive

I don’t think an ‘R’ version of the T-Cross has been announced.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

SRGTD wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:38 pm
steeve wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:25 pm T cross is a Golf based vehicle..... soon to be an R version.
I thought the T-Roc was the Golf based SUV and there is to be an R version of the T-Roc.

The T-Cross is smaller than the T-Roc and described by Top Gear (and other websites) as the Polo crossover / Polo based SUV. The engine range in the T-Cross is more aligned to the Polo’s engine line up than the Golf’s too, which suggests this mini SUV is based on the Polo, and not the Golf. (The T-Roc’s engine line up is also more aligned to the Golf).

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/vol ... irst-drive

I don’t think an ‘R’ version of the T-Cross has been announced.
Correct, the T-Cross is based on the Polo, I looked around a couple of them last week at my local dealer, really nice vehicles, one I will consider next time I change, great price too.