Difference between 18 and 19 build quality...

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Hooligaani
New
Drives: GTI on order

Difference between 18 and 19 build quality...

Post by Hooligaani »

After agreeing to trade my GTD Estate for a Polo GTI I had the car for a couple of days (only given previously a quick test drive). Anyway I was gutted because it was rattling from all sorts of corners, handbrake, dashboard, doors you name it and it was rattling. This was the demo model with 10 000km on the clock. The new 2019 model I have just feels more solid, quieter on the road and generally feels more refined.

Placebo affect or VW in South Africa improving the production?
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Difference between 18 and 19 build quality...

Post by monkeyhanger »

Hooligaani wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:58 pm After agreeing to trade my GTD Estate for a Polo GTI I had the car for a couple of days (only given previously a quick test drive). Anyway I was gutted because it was rattling from all sorts of corners, handbrake, dashboard, doors you name it and it was rattling. This was the demo model with 10 000km on the clock. The new 2019 model I have just feels more solid, quieter on the road and generally feels more refined.

Placebo affect or VW in South Africa improving the production?
I don't think there's a definite step up in build quality going to 2019 models- some people with 2019 models are reporting issues with rattly tailgate and wheel arch linings rubbing tyres as common issues. So far our 2019 GTI+ doesn't have the issues our 2018 one has had, but it seems pot luck - no one else here has had the self chipping tailgate.
gegege
New
Drives: polo GTI 2019

Post by gegege »

I have a Polo GTI 2019 - 1500 KM on the clock - no rattling or other sources of noise. :D
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

I'm pleased to say that mine is rattle free too.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Don't forget though, some 2018 owners have had nearly a year to discover developing faults or faults not obvious to spot, some 2019 owners have had just a few weeks or a few months.

My 2018 GTI has only experienced rattle/buzz on the most knobbly strip of road I gave been on - about 2 miles of ridged concrete road.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

At the end of 4 years of ownership of my 6C I did start to get an annoying creaking sound coming from the sunroof surround.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I had forgotten - our 2019 GTI+ had an incorrectly fitted door frame rubber that I had to tuck in myself and wait a week for it to recover to it's intended shape.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:58 am I had forgotten - our 2019 GTI+ had an incorrectly fitted door frame rubber that I had to tuck in myself and wait a week for it to recover to it's intended shape.
Out of interest, was there any diffenerce in the headlamp beam aim on your 19 compared to your 18 car?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

roywolfey wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:13 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:58 am I had forgotten - our 2019 GTI+ had an incorrectly fitted door frame rubber that I had to tuck in myself and wait a week for it to recover to it's intended shape.
Out of interest, was there any diffenerce in the headlamp beam aim on your 19 compared to your 18 car?
Right now, I couldn't tell you, I haven't driven the newer one in the dark yet, and haven't driven the older one in the dark for ages to have made the comparison.
Mike222
Getting There!
Drives: Polo gti 2023 face lift Reefblue /black

Post by Mike222 »

Could I just ask while you’re on line and seem to be the man to ask about gti stuff, have you left the soundaktor to its own devices ? Or fathomed how to turn it down ( preferably off altogether ) I am very old !!!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Mike222 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:28 pm Could I just ask while you’re on line and seem to be the man to ask about gti stuff, have you left the soundaktor to its own devices ? Or fathomed how to turn it down ( preferably off altogether ) I am very old !!!
You can unplug it (under the leaf guard beneath the windscreen is where Soundaktors are normally kept, as they vibrate through the windscreen to create the fake noise) or turn it off by VCDS/OBD11. Or you can have it right down by setting up your individual driving mode. In my individual mode, every changeable parameter is set to "Sport" except the DCC/Suspension set to normal and engine noise (or is it engine sound?) set to Eco.
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

Apparently having it set to "Eco" mode means it is still at 25% volume (assuming then Normal is 50% as Sport is 100%), I want it completely gone myself and will be doing so with OBDeleven.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Griff74 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:25 pm Apparently having it set to "Eco" mode means it is still at 25% volume (assuming then Normal is 50% as Sport is 100%), I want it completely gone myself and will be doing so with OBDeleven.
When my dealership sorted out the vibration in the dash from the sound device they said it was not possible to disable the device completely.
Were they talking b*******s then?
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:33 pm
Griff74 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:25 pm Apparently having it set to "Eco" mode means it is still at 25% volume (assuming then Normal is 50% as Sport is 100%), I want it completely gone myself and will be doing so with OBDeleven.
When my dealership sorted out the vibration in the dash from the sound device they said it was not possible to disable the device completely.
From their POV it isn't but you can unplug it or set it's volume to 0 using Obdeleven or other such devices.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Griff74 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:25 pm
From their POV it isn't but you can unplug it or set it's volume to 0 using Obdeleven or other such devices.
[/quote]

Good to know thank you. I'd honestly prefer it not to be there at all but it is what it is I suppose. At least the bad vibes are a thing of the past now.