GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Nora
Bronze Member
Drives: A polo

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by Nora »

Has anyone fitted a twin front/rear dashcam and routed the cable from the rear to the front cam through the car? If so how did you route the cable front-back? As afaik there are certain things such as the curtain airbags to avoid which might make routing it across the roof liner difficult, and routing the cable under the carpet the only option and make it a even more difficult DIY job.

Atm I have the front F770 powered via a cigar plug cable but would ultimately like to hardwire both cameras
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Nora wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:28 am Has anyone fitted a twin front/rear dashcam and routed the cable from the rear to the front cam through the car? If so how did you route the cable front-back? As afaik there are certain things such as the curtain airbags to avoid which might make routing it across the roof liner difficult, and routing the cable under the carpet the only option and make it a even more difficult DIY job.

Atm I have the front F770 powered via a cigar plug cable but would ultimately like to hardwire both cameras
I have routed front and rear F770 dashcams with hardwiring, and there's a guide here somewhere I did with plenty of pics. I used the headlining route. You are only using rubber seal overlap to headlining for most of the length and just tucking into where headlining and A/B/C pillars meet it, which is lipped anyway. Should not be impeding airbag deployment at all.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:52 am
Nora wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:28 am Has anyone fitted a twin front/rear dashcam and routed the cable from the rear to the front cam through the car? If so how did you route the cable front-back? As afaik there are certain things such as the curtain airbags to avoid which might make routing it across the roof liner difficult, and routing the cable under the carpet the only option and make it a even more difficult DIY job.

I have routed front and rear F770 dashcams with hardwiring, and there's a guide here somewhere I did with plenty of pics. I used the headlining route. You are only using rubber seal overlap to headlining for most of the length and just tucking into where headlining and A/B/C pillars meet it, which is lipped anyway. Should not be impeding airbag deployment at all.
Monkeyhanger’s guide is in this thread;
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=71995&p
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

I've got a lovely new Golf Match for a few days while my GTi is at the dealers for it's weird noise, is actually pretty nice, 1.5tsi 150 DSG, could have been a lot worse I guess! :lol:
Mike222
Getting There!
Drives: Polo gti 2023 face lift Reefblue /black

Post by Mike222 »

How do find the ride quality of your polo gtl in comparison to the golf ? I currently have a golf gt 1.5 tsi and have a polo gti on order , due October ish ! I have specced the polo with 17 inch wheels , my golf has 18’s and is a bit fidgety on our crappy roads, so I was thinking the Polo ride may be an improvement !!
Griff74
Silver Member

Post by Griff74 »

Mike222 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:34 pm How do find the ride quality of your polo gtl in comparison to the golf ? I currently have a golf gt 1.5 tsi and have a polo gti on order , due October ish ! I have specced the polo with 17 inch wheels , my golf has 18’s and is a bit fidgety on our crappy roads, so I was thinking the Polo ride may be an improvement !!
I doubt this Golf is comparable to yours, it's got 16 inch alloys and a very soft and squishy ride, my Polo is a lot stiffer but very well damped and I much prefer it, I do always buy cars with sports suspension though.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Looking at the lighting unit in the front bumper I have realised that the led looking lights that function as drl's on lower spec models have absolutely no function on a GTI. I had hoped that they were led cornering lights.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

People purchasing a GTI, think it will be better spec'd than the normal run of the mill Polo. When (apart from the engine) they are poorly spec'd.
The SEL is better spec'd than the GTI.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

The GTI+ is better specced than the GTI and the SEL. Unsurprising as it's the range topper.

The GTI (non+) is pretty sparse and doesn't seem to sell well vs GTI+ if the owners here are a representative sample of sales in general.

As the DRLs are already in the LED headlight unit on the GTI+, there's no need for more.

The 2 lights in the lower bumper (one either side) are halogen foglights on the GTI+. Bright white LED light doesn't penetrate fog as well as yellow tinged halogen light, which is why the manufacturers don't fit LED foglights.

Not sure if they function as cornering lights.
Griff74
Silver Member

Post by Griff74 »

silverhairs wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:17 pm People purchasing a GTI, think it will be better spec'd than the normal run of the mill Polo. When (apart from the engine) they are poorly spec'd.
The SEL is better spec'd than the GTI.
Engine, gearbox, suspension, brakes, front and rear bumper, rear spoiler and side skirts, wheels, sport seats etc, ie all the normal stuff the sport models of a car range have. Then there's the plus model with load of kit over the standard GTi.
proalves
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI AW1 2019

Post by proalves »

Here there's no Polo GTI+ in Portugal but I think mine can be considered a GTI+ by the specs.

But I'm not sure, the only things they don't have are the 18'' wheels nor did I consider it for the comfort or lack of it and the ArtVelors seats ...

And it's one of the few with manual gearbox here in this forum.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

proalves wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:41 pm Here there's no Polo GTI+ in Portugal but I think mine can be considered a GTI+ by the specs.

But I'm not sure, the only things they don't have are the 18'' wheels nor did I consider it for the comfort or lack of it and the ArtVelors seats ...

And it's one of the few with manual gearbox here in this forum.
Not sure how many countrues still offer manual. Czech and germany don't. Looks like they are really ending
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Of course the GTI/GTI+ situation on equipment is a UK.spec decision. Elsewhere, the GTI+ doesn't exist and the GTI gets a better standard spec than the UK's GTI, and there's no such thing as an SEL.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Can the rear indicator bulbs be replaced with LEDs, has anyone done it?
I prefer the 'clipped' on/off with LED.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

johnpolo2 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:30 am Can the rear indicator bulbs be replaced with LEDs, has anyone done it?
I prefer the 'clipped' on/off with LED.

Assuming canbus issues can be overcome, I'm they can be swapped out with LED ones using the same fitting, but to access the bulbs, you have to tear a perforated hole in the boot interior carpet lining. For that reason, I haven't wanted to try.