Replacing Gaiter on Gear stick

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
JayW
Silver Member

Replacing Gaiter on Gear stick

Post by JayW »

Hi

Can the gaiter on the gear stick be changed out easily? Gonna attempt this tonight as i've bought a Suede one. I know theres a metal clip that you need to break off to release the knob but can the gaiter be changed out at the same time?

Thanks
Jay
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Replacing Gaiter on Gear stick

Post by RUM4MO »

From my experience of changing a gaiter on a 2002 Polo, it is possible to open up the knob retaining eared clip by using a couple of suitable screwdrivers, if you do it that way, you can reuse the eared clip as I felt that fitting a Jubilee clip might end up with it resting against the new gaiter and wearing a hole in it.
Also the leather material, (I thought that it was leatherette in my wife's 2002 Polo SE - but discovered it was genuine leather but not very supple), was fitted into a nylon former using small staples, which I replaced with heavy black thread.
If this car is still based on that design, then it is a matter of finding where the gripper points are in the nylon former and easing them in and out from the plastic console.

Good Luck, I bought a used same as was fitted in case I damaged the former and also to find out where the gripper points were in that former.
Gee40
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 6c GTI (manual), 1982 Mk1Golf GTI

Post by Gee40 »

Apologies for reviving an old thread but I'm just about to buy a leather gaiter to replace the cheap plastic tat VW chose to install (drives me mad when the car has a beautifully finished leather steering wheel, the quality of which would not look out of place in a car costing 3x as much).

I've just done the same on the other car we own (a Fiat 124 Spider) and the process for removing the existing gaiter involved unscrewing the knob and un clipping the entire centre surround to release the gaiter and mounting frame before unhooking the gaiter from the bottom plastic frame and unpeeling the top of a gaiter from a large metal washer. To install the new one, it had to be re hooked to the plastic frame at the bottom and re glued to the washer it the top before simply screwing the gear knob back in place

The Spider is built by Mazda on the MX5 line and is 85% latest MX5, including the interior which is identical, so plenty of "how to" videos for replacing the gaiter on you tube. Unfortunately I can't find one for the 6r/c Polo. I gather there is a clamp that has to be released to remove the gear knob and re fitted to re install, but does anyone know how the existing gaiter is secured to the gear knob and how the new leather one could be re attached to the gear knob.

Many thanks
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

There is a plastic ring that clamps the gaiter to the knob. Just use a screw driver and wiggle it down. Underneath there is the metal clip that clamps the shift knob from moving. You can cut it, and use a hose clamp or spread it out like everyone is saying.

Gaitor is glued to the plastic that clips on to the trim.
Gee40
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 6c GTI (manual), 1982 Mk1Golf GTI

Post by Gee40 »

Thanks Folks