What did you and your Polo do today?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: What did you and your Polo do today?

Post by monkeyhanger »

I was driving home from a day out with the wife and kids. About 1/2 a mile from home, the wife wants to jump out to pick a parcel up from the newsagents and walk home, so I pull over and she gets out. I then get a message from the car that it has lost the key's signal...my wife had the car key in her handbag! Was half expecting the car to just cut out at an arbitrary distance since having the signal (50m? 100m?), but I was able to drive the rest of the way home, come to a stop and engage reverse to tidy up my parking. Phew!
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Griff74 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:57 pm Gave my Gti it's first wash today, nothing too much, just a good wash and rub down with some QD -
Looks great Griff!

A week since I did mine and it's already 'dirty'.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:52 pm I was driving home from a day out with the wife and kids. About 1/2 a mile from home, the wife wants to jump out to pick a parcel up from the newsagents and walk home, so I pull over and she gets out. I then get a message from the car that it has lost the key's signal...my wife had the car key in her handbag! Was half expecting the car to just cut out at an arbitrary distance since having the signal (50m? 100m?), but I was able to drive the rest of the way home, come to a stop and engage reverse to tidy up my parking. Phew!
If the key signal is no longer within range of the car, if the engine is running, then my understanding is it will keep running until you physically turn the engine off.

That’s how the those ‘unscrupulous individuals’ with signal amplification equipment can drive away in a keyless car without having the key; use their equipment to amplify and transmit the key signal, start the engine and they’re away! 😠
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

SRGTD wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:30 pm
Griff74 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:57 pm Gave my Gti it's first wash today, nothing too much, just a good wash and rub down with some QD -
Looks good, and good to see a fellow snow-foamer! 👍. Reef Blue does look good in the sunshine 😎.

I live in a hard water area, so at this time of year I have to time my car washing to either early morning or a cloudy day, so the sun doesn’t dry the rinse water on the paintwork and leave those annoying hard water spots.
I too live in a hard water area, so annoying, I use water from my waterbutts whenever possible as the rainwater is a lot softer, sometimes I like a drop of rain to top them up!!
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

On Saturday evening, I washed the car and it was pristine after drying it off. Overnight it rained, with all that Saharan sand depositing on the car after the rain beaded and it looked worse off than before cleaning.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

Changed wheels today :) Cleaning tomorrow ... it's dirty as pig :D Wheels are Brock RC32 SBM 7.5x18 5x100 ET51
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2019-07-02 at 13.05.42.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-07-02 at 10.45.35.jpeg
66115559_362101677826450_4451287179108286464_n.jpg
Blackpug
New
Drives: Car

Post by Blackpug »

Nice [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

Blackpug wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:22 pm Nice [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks :-) official website shows silver gray colour combination but I think these matt black fits my white polo a little more :))

https://www.brock.de/felgen/vw-polo-gti-aw/
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

Very early morning start for me to drop the car off with detailer in Southend.
IMG_1488.jpg
IMG_1493.jpg
Pick the car up tomorrow, will post more pictures once I have the car back.

Wheels, for those interested, are Calibre Suzuka 8.0x18 gunmetal 5x100 ET45 with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 225/40 tyres all around. Rear wheels needed an extra 3mm spacer on these alloys to clear brake callipers.
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

Just passed a reef blue Gti between Maidenhead and Reading.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Travelled from South Wales to Milton Keynes yesterday/today. Got back this afternoon and was shocked at how dirty the car was, absolutely covered in dead bugs and bird poo. Managed to give it a quick clean this evening as my OCD was kicking in!

Passed quite a few new Polo's on the journey (18 & 19 plates) but am yet to see another GTI on the road. Did see a grey 19 plate Golf GTI which looked really good.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

S_94 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:14 pm Travelled from South Wales to Milton Keynes yesterday/today. Got back this afternoon and was shocked at how dirty the car was, absolutely covered in dead bugs and bird poo. Managed to give it a quick clean this evening as my OCD was kicking in!

Passed quite a few new Polo's on the journey (18 & 19 plates) but am yet to see another GTI on the road. Did see a grey 19 plate Golf GTI which looked really good.
Yes, this time of year is always bad for dead bug splatter; I find it worst in the evenings. Best to clean them off as soon as possible, as some of them seem to have quite acidic bodily fluids that can etch into the clear coat.

I keep a spray container of quick detailer (QD) and some microfibre cloths in the car to deal with bird poo as that can be very acidic and etch the clear coat. I always ensure the bird poo is thoroughly soaked with QD to soften it before wiping away so it doesn’t scratch or swirl the paintwork. Autoglym Bird Dropping Wipes are also meant to be pretty good at dealing with bird poo.

I’ve only seen two current model Polo GTI’s - a Flash Red ‘non-plus’ travelling towards me and a Reef Blue GTI+; local dealer’s demonstrator model parked outside the dealership.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

SRGTD wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:51 pm
S_94 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:14 pm Travelled from South Wales to Milton Keynes yesterday/today. Got back this afternoon and was shocked at how dirty the car was, absolutely covered in dead bugs and bird poo. Managed to give it a quick clean this evening as my OCD was kicking in!

Yes, this time of year is always bad for dead bug splatter; I find it worst in the evenings. Best to clean them off as soon as possible, as some of them seem to have quite acidic bodily fluids that can etch into the clear coat.

I keep a spray container of quick detailer (QD) and some microfibre cloths in the car to deal with bird poo as that can be very acidic and etch the clear coat. I always ensure the bird poo is thoroughly soaked with QD to soften it before wiping away so it doesn’t scratch or swirl the paintwork. Autoglym Bird Dropping Wipes are also meant to be pretty good at dealing with bird poo.

I’ve only seen two current model Polo GTI’s - a Flash Red ‘non-plus’ travelling towards me and a Reef Blue GTI+; local dealer’s demonstrator model parked outside the dealership.
It's so annoying car looked a right mess! I've got some of the Autogylm wipes and must say their really good, would definitely recommend them even though they are a bit pricey.
SRGTD wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:51 pmthat can be very acidic and etch the clear coat
Think I've got this issue now. The front of the car has some sort of light green spots on it (very hard to notice unless up close) which I can't get rid of. I've got some of that Citrus Power spray which is really good but that doesn't get rid of it. Gave it a good scrub with the mit but it's not having it. :?
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

I have seen plenty of the 18 and 19 models about but just the one Gti while in transit and another parked up where I go to play footy.
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Post by phillos »

Haven’t met too many other GTI drivers either around my parts of the continent.

Only really seen one other GTI, but plenty of regular Polos and quite a few of them have been guys my age (30). Feels good to sit in the GTI when the guy next to you at the lights is in his Comfortline gawking your GTI.

Women also take their time smiling at you as they pass on their bikes... which is different considering it’s just a measly Polo and not some fancy supercar.