New GTI + delivery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by johnpolo2 »

Great news Trantor,
You'll love the bigger, smoother car feel.
The 6C is nice but the new one is a definite improvement.
Enjoy!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Trantor
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Trantor »

TurboTrev wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:07 pm ^^^That's great news!

Mine has been stuck in the Port of Tyne holding area since last Saturday evening and it still hasn't been scanned in. :roll: Until it has been, the delivery company can't allocate a delivery date.
Oh!! That's a bummer! When I was compiling my last post I was thinking of you and wondering if your car had left the docks or maybe already with your dealer. Where did you get the scanning status from?
Some previous posts have indicated sometimes cars can be waiting a week for a transporter allocation. I'm not counting my chickens just yet! I'll wait and see what the dealer says on Monday or Tuesday.
Trantor
Getting There!

Post by Trantor »

johnpolo2 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:14 pm Great news Trantor,
Enjoy!!

Thanks John. I hope it's a worthwhile upgrade! As I've mentioned before I've ordered it without ever seeing one, let alone test drove one! I've only seen three new Polo's on the road/parked but never a GTI! Must be rare a rocking horse s**t. Around where I live anyway.

The only concern I have is whether I'll like the red dash inserts or not. Could be Marmite syndrome, and I hate Marmite! :? But hey! let's have a glass half full approach! Be positive! I'll love it, I know I will!

Anyone know if the red inserts can be swapped for the grey ones at a later date?

Forever the pragmatist :lol:
Trantor
Getting There!

Post by Trantor »

I've just noticed that we're now up to 209 pages on this thread! We have to make it to 210 surely?

Was thinking about the recently televised "64 Up" episodes of the "7 Up" series. We ought to do something similar and call it "12+ Up". Those of us who have been waiting for their GTI's for more than a year could arrange an annual get-together!

Just a wild idea!
TurboTrev
Getting There!
Drives: Golf CS

Post by TurboTrev »

Trantor wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:30 pm
TurboTrev wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:07 pm ^^^That's great news!

Mine has been stuck in the Port of Tyne holding area since last Saturday evening and it still hasn't been scanned in. :roll: Until it has been, the delivery company can't allocate a delivery date.
Oh!! That's a bummer! When I was compiling my last post I was thinking of you and wondering if your car had left the docks or maybe already with your dealer. Where did you get the scanning status from?
Some previous posts have indicated sometimes cars can be waiting a week for a transporter allocation. I'm not counting my chickens just yet! I'll wait and see what the dealer says on Monday or Tuesday.
The dealer can see this information. They have a screen showing the car details and there are boxes where the VW computer system inserts dates as each stage is reached. My screen showed that the car was at the Port of Tyne etc., but the date box showing the car as being released for transport was still empty. As soon as a date appears, the transport company are notified that the car is ready for them and they allocate a delivery date. That date then shows up on the dealers page. Your dealer will be able to tell you all of this, if they can be bothered, mine are excellent!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Trantor wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:56 pm
johnpolo2 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:14 pm Great news Trantor,
Enjoy!!

Thanks John. I hope it's a worthwhile upgrade! As I've mentioned before I've ordered it without ever seeing one, let alone test drove one! I've only seen three new Polo's on the road/parked but never a GTI! Must be rare a rocking horse s**t. Around where I live anyway.

The only concern I have is whether I'll like the red dash inserts or not. Could be Marmite syndrome, and I hate Marmite! :? But hey! let's have a glass half full approach! Be positive! I'll love it, I know I will!

Anyone know if the red inserts can be swapped for the grey ones at a later date?

Forever the pragmatist :lol:
It’s likely to be horrendously expensive to change the dash pad inserts and trim sections around the front door handles and the trim around the gear on the centre console. Forum member david.stark was considering doing this a while back in his Polo SE and asked his dealer for a quote. The dealer quoted..............£1,500 !!!!! 😮

Dealers probably quote deliberately high for jobs like this as they don’t really want to do them, so a high price is likely to put the customer off getting the job done.

If you decide you don’t like the velvet red dash pads, you could always get them vinyl wrapped. Alternatively, you could probably get a set of used dash pads from a breakers yard if they’ve got any Polo salvage vehicles. If so, the dash pads might not be Dark Iron, but the default dash pad colour in most models of Polo is grey - a little lighter than Dark Iron I think.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Get a quote from TPS. The pads look easy to change out, the ones around the dash have push fit friction pegs.

From the point of view as someone who has 2 GTI+ with deep iron in one and velvet red in the other, I like the red colour, but like the depth of shine in the deep iron.

It's a close call, but I prefer deep iron.

Deep iron looks like a high gloss metallic external paint finish, velvet red is more akin to aluminium that has been anodized red.

Often the price of parts only available in the range topper is deliberately high to deter people making their SE look like a GTI. Some of the R specific trim for the Golf is massively more expensive than the GTI/GTD stuff.
Trantor
Getting There!

Post by Trantor »

Thanks SRGTD and monkeyhangar for the feedback. Food for thought. For £1500 I'll suddenly find I've fallen in love with the red inserts!
I hadn't thought about vinyl wrapping so may be a solution if I really can't live with the red. When I get the car I'll live with it for a while. I'm sure it will be OK.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Trantor wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:17 pm Thanks SRGTD and monkeyhangar for the feedback. Food for thought. For £1500 I'll suddenly find I've fallen in love with the red inserts!
I hadn't thought about vinyl wrapping so may be a solution if I really can't live with the red. When I get the car I'll live with it for a while. I'm sure it will be OK.
The £1,500 must’ve included fitting, but even so, that’s a ridiculous amount of money to supply and replace a few pieces of plastic trim.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

The red inserts look hideous in pictures and videos but are more subtle looking in real life and have a very slight metallic sheen.
I thought I'd not like mine but I'm happy with them and they add a dash of colour/ interest to a typical dour vw interior.

monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

As parts go, it's be hard to justify more than £150 parts cost for the set, but I'd be interested to know the true parts cost.

DIY vinyl wrap will be the cheapest option, but paying someone to wrap the ones you've got would probably come at a similar cost to having them resprayed any colour you like e.g. same colour as the exterior, bright red metallic or piano black.
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

johnpolo2 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:37 pm ...and they add a dash of colour..

Good one, pun intentional or not.
Blackpug
New
Drives: Car

Post by Blackpug »

My Gti was a stock car and came with the red dash. When I specced the car online I chose the deep iron because I thought it looked better but I really like the red. It’s not as ‘in your face’ as it looks. It’s really quite subtle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

I just read this which doesnt bode well for exports to EU from ZAR

https://www.iol.co.za/motoring/industry ... n-29080441
Moots
New
Drives: Golf mk7.5 GTI

Post by Moots »

What’s the average wait time for a new build at the minute? Sounds like they take an age if it’s not a car that’s already been built and on its way....