MQ281 6 Speed Manual

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

MQ281 6 Speed Manual

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Is this finally the manual gearbox we been waiting for to use with GTI's motor?

https://www.cars.co.za/motoring_news/vw ... ual/47056/
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Re: MQ281 6 Speed Manual

Post by Dark_cze »

No it is not. GTi with manual is already here with MQ350. Recieved mine in december. It was made in Spain plant and since production ends there that also mean end of manual GTI at least for now. Maybe in future they will return.
Attachments
20181220_132831.jpg
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

VW have found that not offering a manual alternative in most markets hasn't harmed sales so that's a guaranteed £1450 or so off everyone, and the margins that come with what is a reluctant extra expense for me. I'd ha e much preferred a manual box. The DSG box is clever enough to predict what you want it to do 95% of the time, but it's no mind-reader.

Although the official test cycle results indicate otherwise, I've always found that like-for-like, the manual box is about 10% more frugal than the DSG when comparing my manual MK5 170TDI Golf and MK7 GTD to my Dad's DSG equipped equivalent. Since the implementation of stop start tech artificially pushed up test cycle mpg figures, on all my previous VWs, I have averaged 80% of the combined figures, but for the Polo GTI+, my first DSG, it's 70%.
steeve
Bronze Member
Drives: Mk10 GTI+

Post by steeve »

We are hoping that the new S1 when it comes out will have a manual option as we no longer have faith in the reliability of the DSG transmission.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

S1 with manuual would be nice :) or rebuild gti from dsg to manual :D since there is manual version in few countries all parts should be avaiable. Not sure if it's legal in UK :/
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

How much would an S1 be, considering how much a "40" Rline A1 is (same engine as Polo GTI, and similar spec equipment).

The S1 was not a big seller in the UK because it came with almost no equipment as standard, so by the time you specced equipment to S3 levels, there was less than £2k in it, and who wouldn't have the S3 with an extra 70ps?

Would be interested to know if the S1 (if they do one) has multilink rear suspension.

Considering how complex the DSG is, it's pretty reliable. For those that do go wrong, they generally go catastrophically wrong, requiring a new mechatronics unit or a complete transmission replacement.

My Dad is in his second DSG - a MK5 GT TDI170 Golf he did 166k miles on, most of that with a tuning box on. Then his current MK7 GTD Golf has about 125k miles on it - tuning box was on until the dieselgate fix stopped the box performing correctly.
Jay-Jay
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 6R HL 1.2TSI 77kw, Audi S1 MY2018

Post by Jay-Jay »

steeve wrote:We are hoping that the new S1 when it comes out will have a manual option as we no longer have faith in the reliability of the DSG transmission.
Actually, it seems like Audi is not interested in making a new S1 model. I've read multiple articles online, where it's written they want to invest on electric and hybrid engine's research.
monkeyhanger wrote: Would be interested to know if the S1 (if they do one) has multilink rear suspension.
The Audi S1 has multilink rear suspensions, since it has Quattro traction with rear transmission axles.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I'd heard a while back that they probably won't do an S1 on MQBA0 platform, but I take everything I read from online car magazines with a pinch of salt, especially when "spy shots" of a new model end up being artistic impressions or photoshop jobs.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Here is an addtional update althuogh in German:

https://www.autobild.de/artikel/vw-getr ... 65759.html

"Volkswagen launches a new six-speed manual transmission. Under the internal designation "MQ281", the gearbox should completely replace the former "MQ250" and only partially replace the "MQ350"."
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I'd rather have an MQ350 on a Polo GTI or anything else operating within 10% of the upper limit of that new MQ281. I really don't like VW's recent "just enough" approach to engineering, my "just enough" clutch on the Golf R was slipping in cold weather.