[Guide] Hardwire Dashcam [With Photos] MK10 (AW)

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
phileep
Getting There!
Drives: Polo Beats 2018

[Guide] Hardwire Dashcam [With Photos] MK10 (AW)

Post by phileep »

Hi all

In this guide, I hardwired my dash cam in to the fuse box.

My purpose was to neatly enclose the cable so it didn't dangle down the centre of the car and in to the 12v cig lighter. The fuse I used powers the dash cam on with the ignition and shuts down when the key is taken out

Part i had were:

Something similar to this: 4pcs Car Radio Door Body Clip Panel Trim Dash Audio Plastic Removal Pry Tool Kit https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... cat=131090

Apeman 1080P FHD In Car Dash Cam Camera https://www.amazon.co.uk/apeman-Recorde ... m+1080p+ir

SanDisk Ultra 32GB microSDHC Memory Card + SD Adapter with A1 App Performance up to 98MB/s, Class 10, U1 https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-microS ... 2_vtp?th=1

Dash Camera Hard Wire Kit With Micro USB (Varios options for mini or micro USB and right angle https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

I also had [not pictured]
13mm nut and spanner to ground it to the chassis
Wire stripper to get more wire to crimp
Player to crimp the fuse piggy tail to the live wire

Lets begin....

(Album on Imgur) https://imgur.com/a/6ywOUZ7

1: Tools used to remove panelling and wedge cable down rubber seal

2: Fuse I used, picture diagram

3: Photo of fuse piggy tail plugged in. This socket was empty. It was trial and error trying empty ones until this one powered up and shut down with the ignition

4: Cable route from the fuse box to the side access

5: Un-clipped the panel but not fully taken off. Cable able to be pushed in to the void

6: Had to pull this out a bit to push the cable behind (Don't worry, it clips back in fine)

7: Cable in and panel clipped back in

8: Back in neatly

9: Tucked the cable in between the roof panel and windscreen. It does stay in place

10: I used the permanent sticky mount and got it behind the mirror. It has been pointed out the mirror will un-clip for better access. Cable wrapped around the mirror

11: Cable to go down rubber seal and behind grey panel

12: Route cable will take

13: Panel popped off. Cable to go horizontal and pushed down behind clip

14: Cable in and behind panel. This was the hardest part clipping the panel back in. be patient, it'll go back in

15: Grounding tab, had to slightly bend it on the the thread. Tucked the wiring kit in the the space

16: 13mm nut and spanner fit on the the tread and secured the grounding tab

17: Pillar with the panels re-clipped back on. Where the plastic meets the fabric was tricky, but it will clip back in

18: Everything back together

19: Finished job :mrgreen:

Good luck!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: [Guide] Hardwire Dashcam [With Photos] MK10 (AW)

Post by monkeyhanger »

I was wondering why you didn't tuck the wiring in from dashcam to the headlining before realising you don't have the auto dimming rear view mirror and the wiring cap and tube for it.

Step 14 seemed to be fiddly for you, it was one of the least fiddly for me - did your wiring sit directly behind the upper clip of the thin trim piece that sits beside the trim that caps the end of the dash? That would be fiddly to clip back. If you take the wiring along the rubber seal and then go in from further down the trim length (after untucking the rubber seal lip) it clips in and out easy enough. Then the rubber lip is overlapped again.
phileep
Getting There!
Drives: Polo Beats 2018

Post by phileep »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:20 am I was wondering why you didn't tuck the wiring in from dashcam to the headlining before realising you don't have the auto dimming rear view mirror and the wiring cap and tube for it.

Step 14 seemed to be fiddly for you, it was one of the least fiddly for me - did your wiring sit directly behind the upper clip of the thin trim piece that sits beside the trim that caps the end of the dash? That would be fiddly to clip back. If you take the wiring along the rubber seal and then go in from further down the trim length (after untucking the rubber seal lip) it clips in and out easy enough. Then the rubber lip is overlapped again.
Ah yea, that would be why :roll:

The wiring ended up lower that the clip out of the way and then exited mid way down in to the opening. It was all trial and error. I found it hard keeping the bottom lip in whilst clipping it in at the top, a small space for a fiddly part
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

I did it almost same way except I took off a pilar and that litte panel next to doors :-)

//BTW that 13mm nut is M8 thread ... if someone have non standard outer sizes of nuts :D
Attachments
20190206_145355.jpg
20190206_143830.jpg
Slider09
Getting There!
Drives: 2015 Polo 1.2 SE

Post by Slider09 »

Where are you guys mounting the rear camera? Usual place at the top of the rear window looks like a no-no due to routing of the cable.
Anyone put it at the bottom of the window above the rear wiper?
ozmale
New
Drives: 2018 AW Polo GTI 2.0L

Post by ozmale »

Excellent guide, will be using this soon.

Chris
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

Fantastic guide !

Just had my 3 month old GTi hit at the back corner due to a careless driver.
I'm a young driver in a powerful car with no dashcam, so this is a hard claim to win.

I'll be following your guide tomorrow or very soon to ensure I've got video footage if anything like this happens again !

Quick note on the guide, how do you remove the fuse box panel next to steering wheel ? Looks quite difficult to pry off.

Cheers,
Matt
PoloSG
New
Drives: 2019

Post by PoloSG »

Can someone share the Fuse Box diagram for Polo AW. I am looking to install EL Lights and need the location/picture of interior light switch. So that the EL light turns on only once headlights and interior lights are on at night. Cant seem to find fuse guide for Polo AW even though there is a thread for the same in Polo 6R/6C.
iGadgetman
New
Drives: Volkswagen Polo AW /2G

Post by iGadgetman »

When installing my 70Mai A800 I used the F34 position on my 2020 build AW2.