Help please ....

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
demal
New
Drives: polo 6n

Help please ....

Post by demal »

Hello . I'm changing the heating radiator, I'm about to finish to disassembly the dashboard (photo 1) following the guide (link) and I find this plastic "shield" not indicated by the guide (photo 3). Now I have to reach the screw behind the airduct , in order to do that I have to remove this plastic structure by I have no Idea on how to do it. Can somebody help me please .

https://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen ... /removing/

changed the wrong guide with the right one, problem is still there, there is no instruction on how to remove the structure behind the speedometer.
Attachments
IMG_20190813_111043_6.jpg
IMG_20190813_110547_0.jpg
Last edited by demal on Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Help please ....

Post by alexperkins »

Thats the wrong guide - you were looking at 6N2

here: https://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen ... /removing/
demal
New

Post by demal »

alexperkins wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:59 am Thats the wrong guide - you were looking at 6N2

here: https://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen ... /removing/
Thanks for the guide, but the problem is the same. the steps that says how to remove the palstic part behind the speedometer in order to reach the airduct is missing, do I have to use the drill to remove the rivets ? some advice , thanks
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Let me check a different manual. Will come back to you.

What year is your 6N?
demal
New

Post by demal »

edit
Last edited by demal on Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
demal
New

Post by demal »

alexperkins wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:39 pm Let me check a different manual. Will come back to you.

What year is your 6N?
1998 , thank you !!
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Looking at yours, it appears to be a variant

I dont think you have to remove that panel to remove the dash

Have you removed the rest of the bolts as per the guide?
demal
New

Post by demal »

yes, the dash is almost free, I could try some maneuver to see if I can set it free. Or i could try to reach the air duct from the console space to see if there is that screw. I'll make some attempt after dinner, now there are 41 degree, and I'll report my findings :)
demal
New

Post by demal »

tried everything that passed into my mind, no luck whatsoever, all riveted, bigger than the quadrant. I'm minutes away from sawing a hole in it. any advice ?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

There must be a bolt or a screw you have missed. That riveted section is part of the dashboard
demal
New

Post by demal »

I assure you that I did my best, at the end I cut through the plastic and found a bracket that connects the dashboard to the place indicated in guide. Once I unscrew the nut the dashboard was finally released. I didn't find any other method but I'm a noob. At the end the result was there so... now I have a couple of question : finally I reached the heater block. I'm going to disconnect the tubes and unscrew the nut that is located hunder the hood in corrispondence of the heater, Am I right? I did not touch any part of the engine but I found a leak. can you please look at it, (photo) and tell me if it's something to be worried about? But now to the main task, any advice or gudie on how to do it right?
Attachments
leak 00.PNG
Inkedleak 01.jpg
Leak 02.PNG
IMG_20190813_232130_6.jpg
IMG_20190813_231745_6.jpg
IMG_20190813_110547_0.jpg
demal
New

Post by demal »

Now that I look at it in sequence it seems that the 2 hole were there in order to reack the nuts, but I could not see them through the holes. I think that It's a thing that you have to know from the start, or cut until you find out :P
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Yes i was about to say, thats what those two holes are for! Theres nothing in the workshop manual about that either which is strange

As for the leak, that looks like the crankcase breather housing on the back of the block. The seals often perish then oil leaks down the back of the engine. Easy enough to fix, and inexpensive (febi make them as a replacement cheaply)
demal
New

Post by demal »

alexperkins wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:31 am Yes i was about to say, thats what those two holes are for! Theres nothing in the workshop manual about that either which is strange

As for the leak, that looks like the crankcase breather housing on the back of the block. The seals often perish then oil leaks down the back of the engine. Easy enough to fix, and inexpensive (febi make them as a replacement cheaply)
Thank you for your help, today I removed the heating radiator and with my deep sadness I had to ascertain that the radiator was not clogged. I trusted my mechanic so I did not verify myself beforehand..... stupid me but I found out that the radiator was still in bad condition, as per foto:
1) it doesn't have tha bottom plastic shell
2) it doesn't have the adehesive stripe that goes around it to avoid that the air go around and not inside
3) it's quite dirty, so much that the light does not pass through (foto comparision between new and old)
So in the end I think that I had to change it nevertheless, and maybe the problem was more the lacking of such parts than the inexisting clog. Now that is all open up I wander where is the filter for the ventilation. seeing how much dirt there is in the radiator I want to be sure to have a functioning filter. sorry to ask again for your help , I hope that I'm not bothering too much . Thanks
Attachments
IMG_20190816_135835_4.jpg
IMG_20190816_135825_4.jpg
IMG_20190816_135816_9.jpg
demal
New

Post by demal »

alexperkins wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:31 am Yes i was about to say, thats what those two holes are for! Theres nothing in the workshop manual about that either which is strange

since I fairly ingnorant about mechanics can you please link me the part I need to stop the leacking or give me the serial number, I wolud like to avoid errors Thanks

is this what I need : https://www.ebay.it/itm/VALVOLA-OLIO-SF ... SwQFNa2cJh