Creaking from Dashboard?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Simmo
New
Drives: 1.0 (95bhp) SE

Re: Creaking from Dashboard?

Post by Simmo »

I have a buzz on the left-hand side of the dash, high up - just above and behind the glovebox.

Its mainly there when the car is starting from cold, especially when accelerating during the first couple of miles - tends to be less noticeable after that.

Had a look from the passenger footwell, plenty of taped wires, black plastics but can't seem to locate it :roll:

Apart from that, seems to be ok so far. If it persists and becomes more annoying then I'll book it into the dealers for them to take a look (together with the clunking brakes!)
alexander.colquhoun
New

Post by alexander.colquhoun »

Hey all and @marshall_mcf,

Did you figure out this problem at all? I have the identical problem and it’s super annoying as I’ve also been to my dealer twice with various lubrications of the door etc. Am wondering whether it’s the plastic coloured trim itself as pushing it generates a similar noise.

Edit: re read and seen its hopefully the sound actuator! Will see how I go.
Lukefez15
New
Drives: Polo Gti

Post by Lukefez15 »

I had a very similar issue with mine took them a week to work it out. After taking the whole of the dash out turned out to be the usb power connector bracket should of had 4 clips on but only had 3 this was causing the vibration.
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

I had a rattle that I could swear was coming from the left of the dash.
I had a passenger at one point, he was convinced that it was coming from my side of the dash.
Eventually I tracked it down to being from some sunglasses that I had put in the overhead compartment, sliding and bouncing around.
I don't even wear sunglasses, ever.
Useless compartment for myself.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Lukefez15 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:31 pm I had a very similar issue with mine took them a week to work it out. After taking the whole of the dash out turned out to be the usb power connector bracket should of had 4 clips on but only had 3 this was causing the vibration.
VW almost had to remove the dash in my last 6C to fix an annoying rattle but lucky they didn't do it in the end. I've heard numerous horror stories of new problems arising once the dealer refits the dash. Hope its all smooth sailing for you mate.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

peeceeuk wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:39 pm I had a rattle that I could swear was coming from the left of the dash.
I had a passenger at one point, he was convinced that it was coming from my side of the dash.
Eventually I tracked it down to being from some sunglasses that I had put in the overhead compartment, sliding and bouncing around.
I don't even wear sunglasses, ever.
Useless compartment for myself.
Ha Ha, I've been there done that - but it did take quite a while for the penny to drop, in my case it was an S4, it only made that noise when there was no sunshine, pretty obvious when you think about it in my case, but still it took a few months for me to consider that, sunglasses now need to be stored in their protective sleeve until I get round to fitting some soft foam dampers inside the sunglasses storage area.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:57 am
Lukefez15 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:31 pm I had a very similar issue with mine took them a week to work it out. After taking the whole of the dash out turned out to be the usb power connector bracket should of had 4 clips on but only had 3 this was causing the vibration.
VW almost had to remove the dash in my last 6C to fix an annoying rattle but lucky they didn't do it in the end. I've heard numerous horror stories of new problems arising once the dealer refits the dash. Hope its all smooth sailing for you mate.
Yes, I’ve heard of dealer’s damaging pieces of interior trim when they remove them to get to the source of unwanted creaks and rattles, and then denying they caused the damage. There’s also a risk they’ll create new creaks and rattles in the process.

Always a good idea to take pictures of the interior trim pieces they’re going to remove before they start ripping them out! That way, if they do cause damage, it’s more difficult for them to deny it.
x JustChill
New
Drives: 2023 GTI

Post by x JustChill »

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread – but I just bought a brand new 2023 GTI and it has exactly the same creak/rattle as @marshall_mcf noticed in that video.

Did anyone, especially marshall_mcf, figure out a long-term fix?

It is driving me nuts, as you may imagine; all the more so because the car itself is so brilliant.
It's going to the dealer this week for the 2nd time since I picked it up.

Any help would be very much appreciated!!
johnparker
Getting There!

Post by johnparker »

This is no help to you but just for reference, ive had my polo from new in 2018 and have never experienced a single rattle or buzz. Good luck in identifying the cause.
x JustChill
New
Drives: 2023 GTI

Post by x JustChill »

johnparker wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:52 pm This is no help to you but just for reference, ive had my polo from new in 2018 and have never experienced a single rattle or buzz. Good luck in identifying the cause.
It’s actually useful to know, thanks - because one dealer said that it was due to the ‘normal flex of the vehicle’, an idea which I didn’t have much confidence in.