Loud windscreen wipers

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Loud windscreen wipers

Post by S_94 »

Hi guys.

Sure this has been brought up before. Only really noticed this problem since the typical UK weather has kicked in.

In heavy rain with windscreen wipers on medium (2) speed setting, after about 5 or so minutes the wipers start making a juddery noise. As if they're struggling to actually go up and down, if that makes sense. Normally applying a bit of screen wash solves the problem for 5 minutes then it starts again.

Need to take the car in as the squeaking noise when reversing the car has gotten to the point where people in the car are commenting on it. Think it's the brakes/steering.

Anyone had the same issues and sorted them?
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member
Drives: R Line Polo

Re: Loud windscreen wipers

Post by Vonbek2004 »

S_94 wrote:Hi guys.

Sure this has been brought up before. Only really noticed this problem since the typical UK weather has kicked in.

In heavy rain with windscreen wipers on medium (2) speed setting, after about 5 or so minutes the wipers start making a juddery noise. As if they're struggling to actually go up and down, if that makes sense. Normally applying a bit of screen wash solves the problem for 5 minutes then it starts again.

Need to take the car in as the squeaking noise when reversing the car has gotten to the point where people in the car are commenting on it. Think it's the brakes/steering.

Hey.
I haven't experienced a noticeable issue with the wipers but did concerning the reversing noise.

I took mine in and they replaced brakes and discs under warranty after I proved to them there was an issue.. used my dashcam microphone...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

cardiak
New
Drives: --

Post by cardiak »

S_94 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:22 am Hi guys.

Weird one, but have you tried applying vinegar to a cloth and pulling that across the rubber of the wiper. Something to do with the acid in vinegar cleaning it. Worked for me in the past.. I do often change the blades to the Bosch ones which are miles better than standard ones imo.
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

I've had this issue for the last year. 3 sets of wiper blades and still no fix.

In my case it was due to a film of rubbish on the windscreen. I tried various polishes using a DA and still nothing...

In the end I happend to have a chip which enlarged to a crack and a new windscreen solved this. [emoji23]... Expensive fix, but it worked [emoji23]

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Vonbek2004 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:28 am I took mine in and they replaced brakes and discs under warranty after I proved to them there was an issue.. used my dashcam microphone...
Did this solve this issue mate? Hoping it's a simple fix.
cardiak wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:12 am Weird one, but have you tried applying vinegar to a cloth and pulling that across the rubber of the wiper. Something to do with the acid in vinegar cleaning it. Worked for me in the past.. I do often change the blades to the Bosch ones which are miles better than standard ones imo.
Cheers! Any recommendations on the Bosch blades?
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member
Drives: R Line Polo

Post by Vonbek2004 »

S_94 wrote:
Vonbek2004 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:28 am I took mine in and they replaced brakes and discs under warranty after I proved to them there was an issue.. used my dashcam microphone...
Did this solve this issue mate? Hoping it's a simple fix.
cardiak wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:12 am Weird one, but have you tried applying vinegar to a cloth and pulling that across the rubber of the wiper. Something to do with the acid in vinegar cleaning it. Worked for me in the past.. I do often change the blades to the Bosch ones which are miles better than standard ones imo.
Cheers! Any recommendations on the Bosch blades?
It certainly don't do it as much as it did. I do notice it when the brakes are wet or if the car has been sitting a while but only briefly.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

cardiak
New
Drives: --

Post by cardiak »

S_94 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:35 am Cheers! Any recommendations on the Bosch blades?
These are the ones you want mate, even if you just make a note of the numbers and order them elsewhere: https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... e=46005030
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

You need Bosch Aerotwin A864S and you can pay around £19 for the set if you shop around.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Go onto ebay and try the blades below, since fitting them no problem, I also have a spare set (new) in the garage. I do like a clear screen, I've used "Rain-X" but for a split second after the wiper sweep, it tends to leave a smear before clearing. People might think it's excessive but I always change my blades every six months, whether or not their at the end of their life.
Though the "Aero" blades are guaranteed for 5 years, but I think their pushing it, you'll end up with a scratched screen?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-Aerotw ... 3030885585
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@S_94; try cleaning the screen with a claybar and a quick detailer as a lubricant to remove any contaminants on the screen that could be causing the blades to judder, followed by a glass cleaner. Then clean your wiper blades with either white vinegar or methylated spirits. If that doesn’t work, replace your wiper blades with Bosch Aerotwins.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Thank you guys. :P
Dag
New
Drives: GTI+

Post by Dag »

Sounds about right for these days, spend 20 odd thousand on a new car then have to spend another 30 quid to get quiet wipers. Wonder how many pence per car VW saved by fitting the rubbish ones?

When the Corsa C first came out Vauxhall fitted new wipers for anyone that complained about juddering.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Bought a set yesterday on eBay for £18. Hopefully arrive this week.

Are they easy to install? Anything I've got to do beforehand or is it a simple job?
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

S_94 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:27 pm Bought a set yesterday on eBay for £18. Hopefully arrive this week.

Are they easy to install? Anything I've got to do beforehand or is it a simple job?
It’s really easy and should take no more than 5 minutes to remove the old ones and fit the new ones.

The most important thing to do is to put the wipers into the service position, so you can safely lift the wiper arms away from the screen without damaging the paintwork on the bonnet edge.

This YouTube video shows and explains very well how to change them on a mk5 Golf, but the procedure should be exactly the same on the current model Polo;
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HAMG-u90cEo
ho8882000
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 (AW)

Post by ho8882000 »

S_94 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:22 am Hi guys.

Hello S_94,

I would like to ask if your car has a "Rear Drum Brake" or a "Rear Disc Brake"?

Thanks.