Leak in Passenger Footwell

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
HarryBock
New
Drives: 2002 Polo 9N S

Re: Leak in Passenger Footwell

Post by HarryBock »

Hmmm, interesting.

Thank you for finding that. I'm thinking I might need to check my aircon intake cover seal now. The only trouble is I cant identify this from the photos. Is it shown in this photo https://www.clubpolo.co.uk/uploads/mont ... fb952c.jpg

Or this one? https://www.clubpolo.co.uk/uploads/mont ... 90ed26.jpg

Thank you all very much for your support,
Any other ideas you may have are greatly appreciated.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

That is a frustrating problem. The link above sounds promising.
HarryBock
New

Post by HarryBock »

Hello again all,

I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to pull the wing off of the car. This is all well and good but I've read in multiple places that heat is needed to melt some adhesive or something. That is alright but I don't know what would be the best thing to use to replace this sealant when it come to reassembling the car. The other thing is i wouldn't know exactly where to apply this without taking the wing off. I don't want to do that as i need to be able to use the car every day. By this I mean I want to get anything I may need before starting to tackle the job.

It would be greatly appreciated if somebody could compile a list which states extra equipment i might other than a socket set, spanners, and a heat gun. And if somebody could just go into a bit more detail on what these guides are trying to say;
https://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen ... ll/remove/
https://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen ... l/install/
Especially on the install procedure. I'm not quite sure what its on about with the zinc plate or why it says nothing of reapplied the sealant or whatever that was melted in the removal process.

Thanks again,
Harry
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

I'm guessing the zinc plate is a packing plate, possibly something to do with corrosion protection.

This video is for a Golf but should give you an idea of what to expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6PtHG8CEiw

Looks like there are some holes there though no idea if they would lead to water ingress.

Hope you can get to the root of the problem.
HarryBock
New

Post by HarryBock »

Hi all,
Today almost had the wing off but decided after taking of the wheel arch cover plastic thing found that I can almost see everything I may need to and didn't go any further.
To me it looks like everything behind the wheel arch is all part of the "outer skin" as I've been calling it. Where is the leak is between to inner and middle skin.

Anyway didn't notice anything behind the wing that looked odd or could allow water in so I'm back to the drawing board again.
HarryBock
New

Post by HarryBock »

Hi all,

I have some great news.

I think I may have fixed my problem, touch wood.

Last night when I got home from college I decided to have a poke around with some wire which I have found. I first started poking around a spot, sort of between the sill and floor pan, where I noticed seems to stay wet for much longer than anywhere else on the car. After a lot of poking and riddling with the wire I managed to get a few extra drips but that was about it.
I then decided to try poking down through a little square hole next the the one with the bung. There is a little section below that which I can feel the a sort of drop or edge. So I tried poking down there and after not a massive amount of poking and more sort of trying to get the wire where I want it. I noticed that the section where I was poking before began to drip faster. (you should know that I poured water straight into the hole from inside) So i kept poking it and riddling it and then water began to pour out of a drain plug towards the rear of the car just where the under-body tray ends.

I kept poking it and pouring water in the hole until I was confident the channel was clear.
This morning after all of the rain last night, the tissues I had stuffed in the foot well were dry as well as the metal behind the bung.

Touch wood, PROBLEM SOLVED.

Thank you all again for all of the input. It is greatly appreciated.

P.S. would it be a good idea to but a bit of drain cleaner down the channel behind the bung to dissolve muck or whatever that was restricting the flow of water?
Also, please let me know if you would like any pictures or clarification of anything I have described here. I know I may have made it a bit confusing
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Drain cleaner is caustic. I'd use something milder.
HarryBock
New

Post by HarryBock »

Ok, like what?
Could I add water with the drain cleaner to dilute it?
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

How about a drain cleaner flexible rod - is there enough space to use one?
HarryBock
New

Post by HarryBock »

Might work, but space may be a bit cramped, I don't know how flexible these things are but they defiantly wouldn't fit through the square hole I was using, maybe the larger round one but if it could get around such a sharp corner, I don't know.
The other thing is I don't know exactly where the end of the wire was poking, I genuinely think that it was pure luck that I managed to clean it this way.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Yes, it sounds like you got lucky.

Depending on space/access you could try a bottle brush cleaner, a pipe cleaner, or possibly an electrical cable/wire puller (they can be made of nylon or metal). If you could get the latter through (they tend to be several metres long) you'd have plenty length to attach something that might help to clear the passage.
HarryBock
New

Post by HarryBock »

Yeah, that might be best,
Thanks
Be[
New
Drives: VW POLO TWIST 2004

Post by Be[ »

Hi, I have the same problem with my 2004 polo. It is a 3dr no sunroof. The rear left hand side footwell is soaked after rain, both when it is moving and still. The front passenger footwell is also wet, but not as much. I have checked all seals, even replaced boot seal as found that was letting in some water, but haven't found the leak yet. I cleaned out the drain underneath the wipers and the door drains aren't blocked. Can anyone give any advice as this has been going on since September 2019 and I keep having the suck the water out and dry the car almost weekly.

Thanks, Bec
HarryBock
New

Post by HarryBock »

Hi,

The trick is to pull the rubber bung out in the panel that I showed on my first post and get some wire to poke down there. Poke the wire down as far you can get it and just riddle it about.
Perhaps I was lucky and just managed to hit the spot in the first couple of minutes but just keep poking around in that section and if it is the same problem as I had you should notice water running out of a hole somewhere towards the back of the car. Assuming water is building up behind that bung. If not, pour some in and see if any comes out.
Kaylaa169
New
Drives: 1.4 2006

Post by Kaylaa169 »

I’ve got the same problem with rain water coming into the passenger side. Footwell gets soaked and have a puddle in the back. Did you manage to sort this out in the end? Can you show some pictures of where you poked the wire? How long should the wire be?