2019 GTI+ Rear suspension type?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
john896
New
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

2019 GTI+ Rear suspension type?

Post by john896 »

Hi all im new to this site so forgive me if this has been asked and answered previously but i have tried to search and cannot find the answer to my question. Can anyone confirm what type of suspension setup is on the rear of the Polo GTI+ as i keep reading on many post about it being a torsion/twist beam yet the brochure from VW states the following:

- Twist beam rear axle (1.0 litre 65 PS, 1.0 litre 75 PS, 1.0 litre TSI 95 PS, 1.0 litre TSI 115 PS,
1.6 litre TDI 80 PS, 1.6 litre TDI 95 PS)

- Multilink rear axle (2.0 litre TSI 200 PS)

This would also make more sense when it comes to the boot space on the GTI being less than the standard Polo variants.

I am due to collect my GTI+ at the end of the month hopefully so if nobody can confirm this before then i will just have to have a look myself when i get a chance.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: 2019 GTI+ Rear suspension type?

Post by SRGTD »

The GTI and GTI+ both have a torsion beam rear axle - seen in this cutaway picture;
FE06E67B-AC4C-4D22-8AE8-023D526CB345.jpeg
The boot space is less in the GTI and GTI+ as the battery is located in the spare wheel well, with the spare wheel stored on top of the battery. This means you lose the lower position of the adjustable boot floor in the GTI and GTI+ that other Polo models have, hence why the maximum boot capacity is less.
john896
New

Post by john896 »

Out of interest where did the picture come from?

It's strange with the VW brochure stating that the rear on the GTI and GTI+ is multi link and not torsion beam. It's not like its an optional extra or something that could be mistaken is it or changed at last minute to catch the publisher out.
Polo Brochure.png
gegege
New
Drives: polo GTI 2019

Post by gegege »

Hello,

From:DRIVE Test Drive 2019 Volkswagen Polo GTI+ 2.0 TSI (200 PS) 6-speed DSG VI 2G (Typ AW)

"An important point here, because while some might have wished that the new MQB-based Polo had the four-link rear suspension, and the technical information in the small print of the brochure says that it has, the Polo GTI definitely has the torsion beam rear."

Also see this:

STEERING & SUSPENSION
Steering Type:
RACK & PINION - POWER ASSISTED
Turning Circle:
Front Rim Size:
7.5x17
Rear Rim Size:
7.5x17
Front Tyres
215/45 R17
Rear Tyres
215/45 R17
Wheel Base
Front Track
Rear Track
Front Suspension
Independent, MacPherson strut, Coil Spring
Rear Suspension
Torsion bar, Coil Spring
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

john896 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:53 am Out of interest where did the picture come from?

It's strange with the VW brochure stating that the rear on the GTI and GTI+ is multi link and not torsion beam. It's not like its an optional extra or something that could be mistaken is it or changed at last minute to catch the publisher out.
Polo Brochure.png
https://www.motorionline.com/foto/volks ... alleria/8/
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

john896 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:53 am Out of interest where did the picture come from?

Polo Brochure.png
It’s not unusual (in fact it’s pretty common) for there to be inaccuracies in VW’s product material. I tend to find that members on this forum usually have more accurate information and better knowledge on standard spec and options than VW’s product material or VW dealers.

By way of an example of inaccurate product information - the optional Winter Pack was the subject of much discussion on this forum just after the launch of the current model Polo. The price list and on-line configurator at the time both incorrectly stated that this option pack included heated seats, headlamp washers, heated washer jets and low washer fluid warning lamp. The Winter Pack actually consists of just heated seats and low washer fluid warning lamp. When this was queried with VW Customer Services, they were incorrectly advising customers the content was as per the price list and configurator, when it could clearly be seen on cars at dealers with the Winter Pack fitted there were no headlamp washers (tell tale sign was there were no pop up covers concealing headlamp washers in the front bumper).

It took quite a few months before VW corrected their product information on the Winter Pack content.
john896
New

Post by john896 »

I understand that some publications from VW had and still have incorrect information. Just seems like a pretty important error on design spec which you would think would have been updated by now especially if small things like winter packs have been update. I will learn to take VW publications with a pinch of salt from now on then and consult the consumer on here.

Thanks for the info everyone.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

When I spotted that the 2002> 9N Polo was being offered with HID headlights I was quite interested, but in reality no 9N Polo ever had HID standard or factory fitted options, like said earlier, VW Group do plan ahead, but sometimes chop things from models before the production run starts, very annoying.

Like the current Polo rear suspension, top end Polos were aiming to have the same rear suspension as mid range Golf - and so on - nice idea to sort of flow the "better" bits on towards the top of the range, and do same for next range where appropriate, but talk (pre-production publications) is easy!
Boxerboy
Bronze Member
Drives: Her Polo R. Or my car.

Post by Boxerboy »

Gee. That’s very disappointing to learn that the brochure has lied to me.