No Dash lights, wont start.

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Philster
New
Drives: Polo mk4

No Dash lights, wont start.

Post by Philster »

Hi Folks
Bought my daughter a 2002 1.2 Polo which has been a great car. But a couple weeks ago it wouldn't start, would turn over and start then instantly die. I noticed the dash was dead, too, although the stereo, heater and internal lights still worked. After much probing I put a jump lead on the earth to the body - dash came back upm and the car started normally. I tightened the earth strap and everything has been fine since. Until this morning - exactly the same thing. Obviously this is an electrical issue, but where should I be focussing to sort this out for good?
Cheers in advance,
Phil
Philster
New

Re: No Dash lights, wont start.

Post by Philster »

Little update......checked the fusebox, went through the lot and found no issues. Slammed the cover back on and noticed the dash was back up working. Starts fine again......
So dodgy fusebox connection maybe? Are they easy to replace or a complete nightmare?
Zeno
New
Drives: 2004 Polo Twist 1.2 12v manual 73k

Post by Zeno »

Is the fuse box you were in next to the door at the end of the dashboard with the coloured blade fuses, or one with the big fuses on top of the battery ?
If you have not checked the large ones on top of the battery its worth doing as they are known to fatigue crack and can cause intermittent problems.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YCg1DMBOWo
Philster
New

Post by Philster »

It was the one next to the door - I'll check the battery ones today, thanks for the heads up!