Rear lights on with DRL

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
cheba
Silver Member
Drives: Polo R WRC 2014

Rear lights on with DRL

Post by cheba »

I did a session with a friend's VCDS, wanting to activate the rear lights with DRL. However I couldn't find any specific bit for that one in the long coding helper. I have the Polo R WRC meaning I have LED DRL in the headlights, and no bumper lights. I also have the Auto light switch installed using ciclo's wiring harness.

So what I want to do is make the rear lights turn on whenever DRL is active (that is, when the switch is in position "0", or the switch is in "Auto" and dipped beam is not automatically turned on). I don't want the behavior of the front lights to change in any way.

Is this possible to do with VCDS? And if so, how?
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Re: Rear lights on with DRL

Post by ciclo »

Enable Byte12 Bit0
cheba
Silver Member

Post by cheba »

ciclo wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:31 pm Enable Byte12 Bit0
You are referring to "Parking lights ON with "Terminal 15 ON"", right?

I actually saw that bit while browsing through the long coding helper. However, it was my assumption that by "parking lights", they refer to the =D d= -looking symbol on the switch (side lights). The side lights mode means that the front DRL LEDs are dimmed down to half strength. I just assumed that if I check this option, the front DRL LEDs would be running at half strength (side lights mode) instead of full strength (DRL mode).

I'll try it next time I get access to VCDS and see if it works as I want it to. I need to do another VCDS session anyway since there are a couple of other features that I wanted to enable (corner lights on reverse and dimmed DRL when using indicator) but couldn't find in the long coding helper, however I have since looked up which byte and bit to edit for these functions :)
ciclo
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

So...

ENABLE

Byte12 Bit0
+
Byte23 Bit5
+
Byte23 Bit7

Byte21 Bit3 (CLs with Reverse gear) ... very useful.

Tell me the results (if it's to your liking, I mean). Thanks.
cheba
Silver Member

Post by cheba »

ciclo wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:59 am Byte23 Bit5
The other ones I know about. But Byte 23 Bit 5, "Tagfahrlicht bei Standlicht" (DRL with parking lights), what does that one actually do?
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Increase the brightness of the LED when in parking light mode from about 50 to 100% (full brightness)
cheba
Silver Member

Post by cheba »

iichel wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:30 pm Increase the brightness of the LED when in parking light mode from about 50 to 100% (full brightness)
I see, that's what I was guessing. That I do not want to change. That would make the parking light mode the same as the DRL mode (at least regarding the interior lights) which seems pointless.

If I only enable Byte 12 Bit 0 (Parking lights ON with "Terminal 15 ON") and not enable Byte 23 bit 5, will the LED be 50% brightness in both DRL and parking light mode?

I want to keep LED behavior like it is today (different brightness for DRL and parking lights), but I want the rear lights to turn on in DRL mode.
Andy1273
Bronze Member
Drives: 1.2 tsi polo

Post by Andy1273 »

You can enable the rear tail lights as drl lights with carista as I have enabled them like this.

I'm also wanting to know if you can activate the front sidelights to be on with the bumper drls?
Currently ignition on and my bumper drls are activated, turn light switch one notch and drls turn off and side lights and interior dash come on, turn switch another notch and main lights come on.
But I'm wanting my drls to remain on with my sidelights but off with main or alternatively have my sidelights changed to drl setting?
cheba
Silver Member

Post by cheba »

ciclo wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:59 am So...

ENABLE

Byte23 Bit7

Byte21 Bit3 (CLs with Reverse gear) ... very useful.

Tell me the results (if it's to your liking, I mean). Thanks.
So recently I met my friend with VCDS and we tried these codings out.

At first we tried Byte 21, bit 3 (cornering lights with reverse gear). After doing the coding, turning off the ignition and restarting the car, I tried putting it in reverse but the cornering lights did not light up. We ended up setting the bit back to 0 as it was originally. It later occured to me that it was light outside when we tested this, and perhaps this feature only lights up the cornering lights when it's dark outside?

Then we moved on to activating Byte 23, bit 7. However, for some reason the coding wasn't accepted so we weren't able to test this at all.
cheba
Silver Member

Post by cheba »

Andy1273 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:31 pm You can enable the rear tail lights as drl lights with carista as I have enabled them like this.
Is the function of the front lights in the "0" and "parking light" mode unchanged after you did this coding?

In other words, is the function still the following:
-DRL lights on in "0" mode
-parking lights on in "parking light" mode?
Andy1273
Bronze Member
Drives: 1.2 tsi polo

Post by Andy1273 »

Yes thats correct 👍
cheba
Silver Member

Post by cheba »

So, with the recent release of OBDeleven Next Generation I bought myself a Pro kit so I would be able to do long coding myself.

I have now tested out these bits and this is the result:
- "0" mode: Front parking lights (50% LED intensity), rear lights ON
- Parking light mode: Front parking lights (50% LED intensity), rear lights ON

Byte23 Bit5 does not seem to do anything. It doesn't matter if I turn this bit on, LED intensity is 50% both in the "0" mode and the parking light mode on the light switch.

What I want to achieve is:
- "0" mode: Front DRL (100% LED intensity), rear lights ON
- Parking light mode: Front parking lights (50% LED intensity), rear lights ON

Is there any way to achieve this?
xedd
New
Drives: 1.2 TSI

Post by xedd »

Andy1273 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:31 pm You can enable the rear tail lights as drl lights with carista as I have enabled them like this.

I'm also wanting to know if you can activate the front sidelights to be on with the bumper drls?
Currently ignition on and my bumper drls are activated, turn light switch one notch and drls turn off and side lights and interior dash come on, turn switch another notch and main lights come on.
But I'm wanting my drls to remain on with my sidelights but off with main or alternatively have my sidelights changed to drl setting?
Hi, what year polo do you have?
I´ve recently got a Carista and would like to activate rear tail lights ON with DRL ("0" Mode) but can´t seem to find a option that does it.
I have a 2012 1.2 TSI with DRL in the fog lights.