Handbrake playing up again!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Handbrake playing up again!

Post by RUM4MO »

JohnF wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:56 pm Interesting info. Mine's the drum brake model

Just had the call from JCT600. They have replaced the cable yet AGAIN because it was "seized".

So that's 2 replacement cables in 12 months! Can I expect to have to replace this thing every 6 months, just for the lack of grease on such a simple component??
All these modern handbrake Bowden cables have a thick PTFE covering for the inner cable so no need for grease and no benefit from grease, but only if they are manufactured by a proper 1st world control cable manufacturer - and I'd guess there lies the problem, possibly a killing to be made by the usual Europe based aftermarket suppliers later in these car's lifetime.
Muldoon
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 SE TSI

Post by Muldoon »

weezul wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:22 pm i've chosen to wait for the car.
now it's £15 for pick up a drop off.... that's new...
i'll have my 3 coffees, 6 biscottis, and the car better be clean!!!! although I have little faith, it's NEVER been on time once when I've opted to wait. what a ballache.
Not waiting again after last time for the seatbelt fix it took ages. I will leave it there and come back at 5pm! Only so much coffee and wandering around a showroom you can tolerate.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

I took my car in to have orange dash pads fitted, because they didn't do them whilst being built, I took it in at 0845, they said they would ring me back when the job is done. 15.30 they phoned me up to tell me it's ready. I took it home, but it had at least 30-40 miles put on the clock and the fuel was down during the time the dealer had the car. I went back to complain, I spoke to the guy who done the dash pads and asked him why he took it out for a test drive? He told me he'd only had it for just 2 hours, and never took it out, he'd only just taken it round to the showroom and he saw me coming in.
When I asked the service manager about this and asked to look at their CCTV of their forecourt during the hours of 08.45 and about 15.00 hours, they said they didn't have one, I asked for the photo's they take with their I-pad to show if there was any bodywork damage before they started work, no they didn't have that either :?:
There was other things wrong with the car that cost me dearly, but I'll not go into that, but they did give me a two year free service plan to help compensate me
I'll never go back to the Grimsby VW dealership.
If anybody at VW Grimsby wants to dispute this, bring it on, and I'll see you in court :evil:

So anybody taking your car in for any reason, take the service manager around your car for bodywork inspection and record the mileage and write it down.
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

That sounds awful, wonder if they used car for a customer test drive while it was in cos they didn't have a demo one of their own? Sounds like something no dealer would be stupid enough to do but well we all have the internet and see stuff that has been caught on peoples dashcams while their cars are in for service.........
weezul
New
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI 95se 2018

Post by weezul »

Muldoon wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:07 pm
Not waiting again after last time for the seatbelt fix it took ages. I will leave it there and come back at 5pm! Only so much coffee and wandering around a showroom you can tolerate.
Just got home, I was promised 1hr and of course it took 1hr 30mins... classic. My car never went in for a seatbelt recall though... maybe it was already done. Car was delivered end of November 2018.
Falconmick
New
Drives: 2019 SE

Post by Falconmick »

Wife bought a 68 reg Polo SE from main dealer 2 weeks ago. Handbrake felt stiff to me as though needed lubricating. Booked in at dealers today, they are now replacing handbrake cable under warranty.
Olliejevs
New
Drives: 2019 Polo R-line 95

Post by Olliejevs »

Always felt a little problem with the handbrake, serviced today and needs a new cable! Not great on a 1 year old car!
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

I visited VW last week for a wee warranty issue on my Golf, buzzing / rattling centre vents quickly sorted, and had a chat with a technician 'concerning said issue', but really but to pick his brains on the Mk8 Golf & the Polo (!). Anyhoo he said (words to the effect that I recall on the Polo); "it's basically a good car but the handbrake can cause problems, the button on the actual lever often rattles customers can bring cars in or we reccomend sticking a piece of paper inside and the cable itself can stick, we think it's something to do with cars being manufactured in a foreign country, with a different climate to the UK". For closure on the Mk8 Golf; "very similar mechanically to the Mk7 / Mk7.5, but more electronics and connectivety and also we've noticed quite a bit of cost-cutting on the interior"....
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Handbrake button rattle, god that takes me back.
My 2005 Audi A3 did it, but it sounded like it was the dash.
A test drive with a clued up mechanic revealed the true cause and fixed in minutes.
15 years later VAG cars are still doing it! :shock:
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

My 2002 Polo had a slightly rattly handbrake too! :lol: That makes it 18 years of rattling...

My Ibiza is fine though. And the handbrake works as designed too. The Ibiza in this current generation really isn't the interior quality step down that it used to be compared to the Polo, although there's definitely better sound deadening in the Polo. The Polo is better, but the gap is smaller than before.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

vc-10 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:49 pm The Ibiza in this current generation really isn't the interior quality step down that it used to be compared to the Polo, although there's definitely better sound deadening in the Polo. The Polo is better, but the gap is smaller than before.
Very recently bought our daughter a Seat Mii.
For a 7 year old entry-level car it's so impressively made and light years ahead of the Kia Picanto she had before in terms of build.
Dare I say it, and I'm not joking, it has fewer knocks and rattles than my new Polo.... :?
orangepolo
New
Drives: 2018 SE TSI

Post by orangepolo »

Have a 2018 SE Polo I purchased second hand earlier this year. I believe it already had the handbrake attended to before I purchased it from VW.

Started to have some issues with the handbrake myself, it was rough and really needed pulling up high for it to hold the car properly. Handbrake cables were replaced by VW under warranty in August.

I’ve had no issues with the handbrake since then until Christmas Eve. The button on the handbrake became stuck in, so the handbrake is in a permanent off state. Called VW roadside assistance who were unable to fix it at the roadside. Issued with a courtesy car from Enterprise and waiting for the local servicing centre to re-open for it to be worked on again.