Suspension noise

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Mini_dub
New
Drives: 6r

Suspension noise

Post by Mini_dub »

Hi

I have a polo 6r which I have fitted new ap coilovers, powerflex-10mm top mounts and new top mount bearings too

When they were first fitted everything was fine but once I fitted new wheels and had to raise the ride height a few turns I get this knock/pop sort of noise mainly when turning right (but never left) but also when driving straight over small bumps etc! If I raise the car further the noise gets worse and it then knocks like mad when turning left there is no noise if I turn the steering when the car is stationary

I have checked everything is tight the arb is clear of the shaft and no visible signs of contact but at a bit of a loss to where to look next!

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Chris
spartacus68
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 1.4 TDI (90PS) Blue motion

Re: Suspension noise

Post by spartacus68 »

Something isn't sitting right. You need to get the front jacked up at both sides and get someone to turn steering hard lock to hard lock while maintaining visual on the strut assemble. In fact, hold your hand on the strut (well away from the compressed spring) and see if you can feel any friction?

Who fitted them?

When the AP coilovers were fitted, was the hub assembly raised with a jack so the shock and top mount were pushed together for tightening. Any reason to suspect the wishbone bushes could be shot?
Mini_dub
New
Drives: 6r

Re: Suspension noise

Post by Mini_dub »

There is no noise at all when the car is stationary the noise only appears when it’s moving! (Speed doesn’t affect it)
I fitted the coilovers the top mounts were not fully tight until the car (all 4 wheels) were back on the ground

Car passed the mot 4 days ago with the knock so would hope to assume the wishbone bushes etc are all good