1.2 twist 4th gear

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Bikergonebald
New
Drives: 2004 1.2 Twist

1.2 twist 4th gear

Post by Bikergonebald »

Hi,
I have a 2004 1.2 twist with 99k miles and I have a problem changing from 3rd to 4th. 5th to 4th is fine, it is also ok when stationary with the engine running, it only happens while driving.

The problem is that when the stick passes through the neutral position it just won’t go in to 4th, there’s no noise it just feels like there’s no gate there. If I release the pressure on the lever letting it go back to neutral then try again it goes in normally.

I’ve replaced some bushes in the gear change linkages, shimmed the ball joint on the gear lever and readjusted the cables several times. I also changed the gearbox oil but no improvement.

The clutch operates fine and feels just like the other polo we have of the same type with only 29k miles.

Any suggestions what to try next before I change the gearbox?

Thanks
Kevin
bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

Re: 1.2 twist 4th gear

Post by bvs »

Hi Kevin

My missus used to have trouble sometimes on our old 9n polo when she tried to manually 'find' the gate for 3rd or 4th,the 'H' pattern is sometimes slightly oblique/slanted on cars and I think perhaps fairly easy to wrongly position the gear lever manually,I just kept saying to her - ''if it is reluctant to go into 3rd or 4th just relax your grip slightly on the gear lever and the spring will find the gate for you''.