Polo GTI 6c (AWD)

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Grega459
New
Drives: Polo gti 6c

Polo GTI 6c (AWD)

Post by Grega459 »

Is it possible to put the Audi s1 running gear in the polo GTI 6c and making it 4x4. Can’t find anything on it and was wondering if anyone has done it. Looking at the under side of the polo it has all the bit cut out to support the prop shaft.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Polo GTI 6c (AWD)

Post by iichel »

Well you really need to modify the entire boot floor to fit the rear axle.
Then you need to actually mount a new rear axle.
Then you need to put in a new gearbox with propshaft to the rear.
You need to convince the engine ECU somehow it's AWD. And the ABS/ESP ECU.
And then there's the matter of acutally finding an AWD ECU unit for PQ26, since the Audi S1 is more like PQ35 (golf 6-alike) with a 2.0 TFSI EU5 engine.

I'm sure it's possible. Just have a 10.000 - 20.000 GBP ready in place I suppose.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

As well as the significant cost involved, it wouldn’t be cheap to insure such a highly modified car either.

It’ll probably cheaper to buy an S1.
Silver Member
Drives: Cross Polo 1.2TSI 2017

Post by 2226 »

Grega459 wrote:
iichel wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:12 pm Well you really need to modify the entire boot floor to fit the rear axle.
Then you need to actually mount a new rear axle.
Then you need to put in a new gearbox with propshaft to the rear.
You need to convince the engine ECU somehow it's AWD. And the ABS/ESP ECU.
And then there's the matter of acutally finding an AWD ECU unit for PQ26, since the Audi S1 is more like PQ35 (golf 6-alike) with a 2.0 TFSI EU5 engine.

I'm sure it's possible. Just have a 10.000 - 20.000 GBP ready in place I suppose.
Okay but looking under the s1 and polo GTI on the ramp there is not much of a difference axel mounts same distance apart polo even has the bit for the prop shaft I though it would have been simple like axel and gearbox and prop shaft. And maybe a bit of coding. I did not think the s1 was as high tech as the s3.
Yes, it always looks similar until you actually start cutting into it. I would look at this as a S1 rebody rather than 6C AWD conversion. I think a lot of modern car projects get stuck on the electronics.

All those points of measurement might be similar, but usually a floor plan replacement is necessary to account for the fuel tank.

That said, there have been numerous AWD conversions on other FWD VW vehicles where the techniques and approach used would apply to the Polo. Have a look at those for inspiration.

This would be a awesome project though, provided you have a wallet for it along with time, space, tools and ability. Costs could exceed just going out and just buying a Golf R, but project cars are often "not about the money."