The end has come

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
david.stark
Bronze Member
Drives: SE

The end has come

Post by david.stark »

I've had 18 months of happy motoring in the Polo but after careful consideration, I've decided to change to something more practical.

I bought the Polo just before meeting my future Mrs Stark and a house purchase is this years big plan plus we would like kids.

So, after some research and a test drive, I've bought a 17 plate Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI SEL Estate. I'd have been more than happy with the kit on the SE to be honest but it was a combination of price, colour and the engine which won me over. It's really brisk with 150bhp and very smooth with the DSG gearbox.

I am intrigued by the LED headlights though as I've never had a car with those. Not even had Xenon before. Always halogen.

There will be some mats and winter tyres for sale soon.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: The end has come

Post by SRGTD »

Good luck with the Skoda - it looks good, and I really like the colour! It’ll probably seem very big compared to the Polo.

Hope you have many miles of happy motoring.
Boxerboy
Bronze Member
Drives: Her Polo R. Or my car.

Post by Boxerboy »

My wife ran a 1.4 SEL Octavia for 3+ years before the current Polo. Loved it.

As I drove almost half the Octavia miles I can vouch for its performance.

Very quiet. Hugely spacious of course. Lots of mod cons in SEL trim (and we had several add ons inc. hot screen & seats and more). Genuine 40mpg over 23,000 miles. Can do much better or worse depending on driving style.

An excellent car.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Oh, right then, so its off to www.briskoda.net for you then!

As well as acquiring another set of winter wheels and tyres!
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

The OP has found a car that serves them best, good luck with it. Be cool if those 'BIG AL' trade plates were included, I know an Alan, nicknamed 'Big Al' & he'd love them :mrgreen: ....
david.stark
Bronze Member

Post by david.stark »

Cheers :D Looking forward to collection and will still pop into the forum from time to time.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Best of luck with your Octavia, it looks a nice car and in good condition. have many happy trouble free miles in it.
david.stark
Bronze Member

Post by david.stark »

Collected it a couple of days ago and very pleased. Drove up to Buxton yesterday on a mixture of country roads and town driving and averaged 48mpg which is decent.

Obviously its a bit chalk and cheese with the Polo but the infotainment is broadly the same. Nice green colour scheme on the menus though. LED headlights are quite the revelation on dark lanes and it has auto main beam which largely works well.

One difference I've noticed with the DSG compared to the Polo is that when moving from park or neutral into drive, the creeping forward is pretty much instantaneous. With the Polo, there was always a slight delay before it would start creeping.