Apple CarPlay issues on GTI+

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
deanjesper
New
Drives: Polo GTI+

Apple CarPlay issues on GTI+

Post by deanjesper »

Has anyone else got issues with their Apple CarPlay on the GTI/GTI+? I plug my phone in and sometimes the whole screen will be black, 10 minutes later and Apple CarPlay appears. Then when I'm driving and go over a bump, my phone disconnects. I've tried two different cables and both ports, same issue. The dealership did a software reset last week and it resolved it for a day but it's happening again now.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Re: Apple CarPlay issues on GTI+

Post by Dark_cze »

deanjesper wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:45 pm Has anyone else got issues with their Apple CarPlay on the GTI/GTI+? I plug my phone in and sometimes the whole screen will be black, 10 minutes later and Apple CarPlay appears. Then when I'm driving and go over a bump, my phone disconnects. I've tried two different cables and both ports, same issue. The dealership did a software reset last week and it resolved it for a day but it's happening again now.
did your screen restart? black screen -> gti logo -> back to vw system at app connect tab -> carplay? if yes then I sometimes have same problem with android auto. It always followed some unexpected action I did on phone. Like allowing root access to some apps etc. It feels like car software expect something from phone and got nothing or something totally unexcpected. After then it restart whole unit and try again.

If you can try different phone
gegege
New
Drives: polo GTI 2019

Post by gegege »

hello,
Looks like you have some connection problem - most probably on the car side.
Maybe you have to change the USB connectors.
tom.wright
New
Drives: 2023 Polo GTI, Pure White

Post by tom.wright »

I had the exact same with Android Auto.

Your USB port in your phone is likely full of lint. Take a sewing pin or bend a paperclip and carefully dig it out, you'll be shocked how much you pull out! Then the USB cable should snap in more firmly and it won't keep disconnecting when you drive over bumps in the road.
deanjesper
New

Post by deanjesper »

tom.wright wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:55 am I had the exact same with Android Auto.

Your USB port in your phone is likely full of lint. Take a sewing pin or bend a paperclip and carefully dig it out, you'll be shocked how much you pull out! Then the USB cable should snap in more firmly and it won't keep disconnecting when you drive over bumps in the road.
I’ll give this a go :D cheers!
jackois
New
Drives: Polo SE 1.0 TSI 95ps manual

Post by jackois »

With respect to the disconnect over bumps, I've found that the usb connection in the cubby doesn't always grip and can allow left/right movement should the phone move causing the connection to be lost. I have a small piece of foam to stop the phone movement which seems to do the trick.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

deanjesper wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:45 pm Has anyone else got issues with their Apple CarPlay on the GTI/GTI+? I plug my phone in and sometimes the whole screen will be black, 10 minutes later and Apple CarPlay appears. Then when I'm driving and go over a bump, my phone disconnects. I've tried two different cables and both ports, same issue. The dealership did a software reset last week and it resolved it for a day but it's happening again now.
If you get the blank screen, try holding down the infotainment power button until the unit resets. Takes about 20 seconds iirc.

Mine disconnects from time to time too. I’m pretty sure it’s a cable / connectivity issue as it’s fine unless the phone moves.
Trantor
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Trantor »

On the poor connection front I assume both USB sockets in the front show the same problem? I was going to suggest, as an alternative, using one of the two USB sockets in the rear. However, having just tried that, all they do is provide power.
From what others have said poor connections are not uncommon so may be the cable. When I collected my car the dealer gave me a short cable made by VW. It’s very high quality with metal moulded plugs at each end and is a really tight fit in car USB socket. I’ve never encountered a problem using this cable. For reference the label on the cable shows VW 000.051.446.S 49/18 8MZ. You may want to give one of these a try or a better quality cable from, say, Anker. No idea what the VW cable costs. May be the dealer could lend you one.
liakos
New
Drives: 6C

Post by liakos »

When using an iPhone XS I found that cables with a normal lighting connector rub when the phone is connected and placed in the cubby which resulted in disconnections.
My solution was a 30 cm length 90 degree angled cable. With this cable the phone fits better in the cubby with no rubbing

Another thing to check and see is if the lightning port has some play in it. Use a high quality new cable and insert it in the port of the phone. If the cable does not fit snuggly and is easily wiggled it may be an issue with lighting port.
raysablade
New
Drives: GTI +

Post by raysablade »

Trantor wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:25 pm On the poor connection front I assume both USB sockets in the front show the same problem? I was going to suggest, as an alternative, using one of the two USB sockets in the rear. However, having just tried that, all they do is provide power.
From what others have said poor connections are not uncommon so may be the cable. When I collected my car the dealer gave me a short cable made by VW. It’s very high quality with metal moulded plugs at each end and is a really tight fit in car USB socket. I’ve never encountered a problem using this cable. For reference the label on the cable shows VW 000.051.446.S 49/18 8MZ. You may want to give one of these a try or a better quality cable from, say, Anker. No idea what the VW cable costs. May be the dealer could lend you one.
The dealer gave my wife a couple of these with her GTI. Built like a tanks in Romania.

No issues at all with it other the inerrant ability to deliver her horrendous music choices.
deanjesper
New

Post by deanjesper »

I used a paper clip to get the dust out of the port and I couldn’t believe how much came out! I’m using the VW cable (as pictured above) and it’s disconnecting less now but if I go round a bend or a roundabout at speed it will disconnect. So annoying!