Air Con Issues

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
uh_suuuh
New
Drives: 6R 1.4 Match 5d

Air Con Issues

Post by uh_suuuh »

Hello Community

I have a 6R match edition 1.4 petrol and have had a new issue occur with the air con I'll try my best to explain.

When using the the air con on positions 1 and 2 I cannot get the air con button to light up but I'm not to sure if it is supposed to anyway, otherwise it works fine I get hot and cold and a good amount of air coming out of the vents. But this is were the real issue starts in position 3 there is no air blown out of the vents and the AC button will still not light up. Further to this when in position 4 again no air is blown out of the vents but the AC light comes on and then you can hear a whine come from what I assume to be the engine bay I imagine this is the compressor.

Also every now and again position 3 then works absolutely fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated if anyone knows what this could be or has experienced this before. I haven't been to a garage yet as I'm a little tight on cash and can't afford it at the moment.
Attachments
VW-Polo-6R-heater-Dash-Control-Unit-Air.jpg
VW-Polo-6R-heater-Dash-Control-Unit-Air.jpg (10.1 KiB) Viewed 703 times
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Air Con Issues

Post by RUM4MO »

If you have done your homework, ie checked if there is any other reports of this sort of thing, you would normally find that fan speed switch positions 1 maybe and 2 and maybe and 3 tend to stop working as the resistor sections burn out, and you are left at the end with only speed 4, ie full speed working as the shunt resistor is now completely out of circuit - and so the AC light only comes on when the fan is actually spinning.

So, what you have sounds quite a bit different so I can't exactly point my finger at the "hedgehog" speed control resistor!

Edit:- so is that control panel still fully plugged in okay?

Another Edit:- the pollen filter newish, clean and otherwise still okay?
uh_suuuh
New

Post by uh_suuuh »

RUM4MO wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:37 pm If you have done your homework, ie checked if there is any other reports of this sort of thing, you would normally find that fan speed switch positions 1 maybe and 2 and maybe and 3 tend to stop working as the resistor sections burn out, and you are left at the end with only speed 4, ie full speed working as the shunt resistor is now completely out of circuit - and so the AC light only comes on when the fan is actually spinning.

So, what you have sounds quite a bit different so I can't exactly point my finger at the "hedgehog" speed control resistor!

Hi RUM4MO I had read about the resistor issue but as you mentioned it normally presents its self as the other way around where you get nothing on 1,2,and 3 then everything on 4. I will have a look later today to see if I can find any bad connections and to be honest I hadn't even though about the pollen filter so I will see if that is clean and if it has been replaced in any of the services.

Thank You
uh_suuuh
New

Post by uh_suuuh »

RUM4MO wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:37 pm If you have done your homework, ie checked if there is any other reports of this sort of thing, you would normally find that fan speed switch positions 1 maybe and 2 and maybe and 3 tend to stop working as the resistor sections burn out, and you are left at the end with only speed 4, ie full speed working as the shunt resistor is now completely out of circuit - and so the AC light only comes on when the fan is actually spinning.

Thank you RUM4MO I pulled the trim off and had a look at the cables plugged into the back of the control unit and the connections for 3 and 4 were twisted. I crudely put the back in place and it's working great now. So thank you once again you have helped a lot ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Excellent, success is allowed!