Front parking sensors

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Aquavalver
Silver Member
Drives: 2013 Polo Blue GT

Front parking sensors

Post by Aquavalver »

Does anyone know if the rear parking sensor set & loom will also fit the front? I would have thought most at least would be the same apart from maybe the length of the loom or sections of it? Would it be possible to fit it or would I need the specific front one (as the rears are much easier to find)?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Front parking sensors

Post by RUM4MO »

Typically, cars fitted at initial build, with only rear parking sensors will have a 4 channel parking controller fitted, to retrofit front sensors, you would need to replace that with an 8 channel parking controller, front sensor group warning buzzer and some new cable forms, probably 2, one for the front bumper and one to connect/integrate that into the car's wiring.

Doing this as per the factory build way will be very expensive, but it could be worth while, I did that to a 2011 Audi S4 and it cost quite a bit, maybe £350 or more and that was using used controller, buzzer and switch, and new sensors, sensor brackets and ready made cables from Kufatec.

Edit:- after punching holes in the front bumper and spray painting the sensors, then fitting everything, you will need to recode some modules.

https://www.carsystems.eu/new-vw-polo-6 ... d1281.html
Last edited by RUM4MO on Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aquavalver
Silver Member

Post by Aquavalver »

RUM4MO wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:28 pm Typically, cars fitted at initial build, with only rear parking sensors will have a 4 channel parking controller fitted, to retrofit front sensors, you would need to replace that with an 8 channel parking controller, front sensor group warning buzzer and some new cable forms, probably 2, one for the front bumper and one to connect/integrate that into the car's wiring.

Doing this as per the factory build way will be very expensive, but it could be worth while, I did that to a 2011 Audi S4 and it cost quite a bit, maybe £350 or more and that was using used controller, buzzer and switch, and new sensors, sensor brackets and ready made cables from Kufatec.

Edit:- after punching holes in the front bumper and spray painting the sensors, then fitting everything, you will need to recode some modules.
I've just bought an R-Line front bumper with the parking sensor holes already there. I also have an 8-channel parking controller and the dash switch, so I need the buzzer, actual parking sensors and looms. I was wondering if a rear set would fit the front?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Look at my last posting as I've added a link to another supplier, ie Carsystems and they show what they sell as a complete upgrade kit.

Sensors, probably find them on ebay ie genuine ones for this car, cables, you would need to see if Carsystems sell the cables by themselves, if not buy from Kufatec, also you will need to buy the rubber O-rings that surround the front sensors. I bought a twin spray pack of paint from my dealer to paint the sensors. Maybe one last thing, as you will need to lift the rear seat base to feed cables through to the front, you will need to buy a couple of new seat anchors, as the original ones should get destroyed when you remove the rear seat base, no way round that and they are very cheap for what they are.

Sorry also a new buzzer.
Last edited by RUM4MO on Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

The sensors from the rear are no different from the front ones. It's just the loom that needs to be longer.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Sorry, other things to buy if you do not have them are, car cable tape, contact pin release tool and 2 plastic rivets to secure the new buzzer.

I also bought rubber/plastic soft sort of tie wraps to secure the new cable harnesses to existing cable harnesses in places like the front wheel arch under the wheel arch liner and probably at other points in the run from front > switch > rear > controller.
Aquavalver
Silver Member

Post by Aquavalver »

Actually their price for the front and rear parking sensor kit is pretty good, but I don't really want to buy all that as I already have the rear fitted as standard, and as mentioned have the 8 channel comntrol unit and buzzer. Might see if they can do just what I need otherwise I'm wasting money buying a lot of what I already have.

I will have to get the front bumper and sensor faces sprayed as it's a different colour to my car and then I also want to get it wrapped. I'll also need to get all the headlight washer kit, all the grills and then later LED headlights, so all this will be quite expensive. Maybe I'll just get the washer caps painted for now and then the rest to have it all working when I eventually get the LED headlights!
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I noticed that Carsystems do sell the cableforms separately and do list the 2 cables as a set.

I'd think that you can trust their VAG part numbers for new front sensors, as usual there will be a couple or so compatible part numbers as some sources will be selling off old stock.
Aquavalver
Silver Member

Post by Aquavalver »

Actually I was getting the car systems page mixed up with the ones that Vagtec do. They do a front and rear kit for £392 plus separate front and separate rear, but annoyingly one of them isn't half the price of the kit that does both!
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... Xhdx1X3UP7

Can't afford a £350 kit, and being that I already have some of it, am looking at cheaper options.
exantas
Bronze Member
Drives: Skoda Fabia 5J 1.2 TSI

Post by exantas »

Have you checked aliexpress?

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Aquavalver wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:05 am Actually I was getting the car systems page mixed up with the ones that Vagtec do. They do a front and rear kit for £392 plus separate front and separate rear, but annoyingly one of them isn't half the price of the kit that does both!
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... Xhdx1X3UP7

Can't afford a £350 kit, and being that I already have some of it, am looking at cheaper options.
I think that if you stand back and think for a minute, you will be able to work out why a rear only kit is not half the price of a front + rear kit - ie the controller exists in both cases but different controllers.

If you have the 8 channel controller, switch and the buzzer, it makes no sense to even consider buying a complete kit, so what you need is only 2 cables, which Carsystems sell, buzzer fixing plastic rivets, 4 O-rings for sensors, 4 sensors and 2 new seat anchors. The Carsystems website even gives you the part numbers of suitable sensors.

Are the sensor brackets still attached to the inner surface of the bumper you have bought? If not you will need to buy 4 new sensor retaining brackets.

Edit:- what I find strange about the Vagtec website is the price of a twin spray can pack to paint the sensors - your local VW will only charge £17.24 in UK for that inc VAT, and that is a January 2020 price, I've just bought that! Vagtec are charging £32 for that item!
Aquavalver
Silver Member

Post by Aquavalver »

exantas wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:15 am Have you checked aliexpress?

Good shout! They have a front one and although I don't need it, it looks like the parking control module is Valeo.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32980 ... 2e0euM4HGV
But is says: "This kit is only for Polo with high version radar sensors(support ops).if your rear radar sensors are low version which do not support OPS,please do not order." Not sure what mine is! Didn't know there were more than one version!
exantas
Bronze Member

Post by exantas »

Does your factory radio show parking lines like the ones shown here?

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-y ... vento.html
Aquavalver
Silver Member

Post by Aquavalver »

exantas wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:18 pm Does your factory radio show parking lines like the ones shown here?

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-y ... vento.html
Like in the first one yes.

I found one review of the seller of the kit on Ali Express and it wasn't good. They said they never received it, tracking number didn't work and they lost their money :?

Not sure whether it's best to get new Valeo ones or 2nd hand VW ones. Can't afford new VW ones as they are about 5-7x the cost of Valeo and other brand ones!
exantas
Bronze Member

Post by exantas »

Then your car does have OPS.

Do you have a VCDS auto scan with the current configuration of your car?

There you can see if the ops module you have, support front parking sensors.